Ez2WBRK.png

ASIA
qUu8aES.png

EUROPE
VSoD5FW.png

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Wow Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong took a huge hit in attendance. Hopefully the 25th anniversary does well for Paris and Iron Man pulls in more for HK. I thought Shanghai would have a higher figure but I suppose they only hit 10 million in the last few months?

Potter yet again doing wonders for Universal, look at that attendance jump in Osaka and Hollywood.

Apart from that it's not too exciting this year. Bit concerned they reckon the big jump in attendance at Magic Mountain was because of VR on Revolution.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Hong Kong as a whole has taken a hit in tourism. It's not just the park. The Ocean Park figures are worse.

Shanghai Disney reported hitting their 10 millionth visitor recently, so it'll be interesting to see how far up the chart it is in next year's.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Most of Disneyland Paris has been closed this year though, that would have put a lot of people off. I've spoken to a couple of people who've said "I wanted to go to Disneyland, but all of the rides are closed at the minute".

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I think the huge slide in attendance at Disney Paris is also due to the unfortunate events in France since 2015, especially since tourism makes a big slice of the visitors there... :(

On a brighter note, Flying Dinosaur seems to have a significant impact on Universal Studios Japan's fortunes! Hope they'll keep investing in the future.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The PDF says Fantawild has reported a 37 % increase in one year. From 23 million to 31.6 million between 2015 and 2016 That's fairly solid! Chimelong and OCT Group have also increased by 16 and 12 %, respectively.

Parques Reunidos reports an attendance drop of 6 %, and now they're hovering at the very bottom of the top 10. Good. Burn.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Knott's has a higher attendance than Magic Mountain. In terms of location (Knott's' proximity to the tourist epicenter of Disney), that's not surprising. But when you consider the relative sizes of the parks and the comparative number of rides, it's absolutely mind-boggling to me to think more people are moving through Knott's somehow. I mean, Knott's is essentially crammed into one very large city block, while SFMM is spread out over an entire mountain and it has endless rides, yet it is often packed with hour-plus-long lines for everything.

Last edited:

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Knott's has a higher attendance than Magic Mountain. In terms of location (Knott's' proximity to the tourist epicenter of Disney), that's not surprising. But when you consider the relative sizes of the parks and the comparative number of rides, it's absutely mind-boggling to me to think more people are moving through Knott's somehow. I mean, Knott's is essentially crammed into one very large city block, while SFMM is spread out over an entire mountain and it has endless rides, yet it is often packed with hour-plus-long lines for everything.
One is open daily, the other is open weekends only from Sept-April besides holidays. That is why the attendance is different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
One is open daily, the other is open weekends only from Sept-April besides holidays. That is why the attendance is different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I hadn't considered that factor -- you're right. Thanks, that actually helps me get my head around those numbers a little more.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Annddd you have to remember that Knott's has Haunt, and it's insanely large fan following..... And just like Universal for Halloween Horror Nights, they get to count turn-style clicks twice. Since Haunt is its own separate ticket event

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Annddd you have to remember that Knott's has Haunt, and it's insanely large fan following..... And just like Universal for Halloween Horror Nights, they get to count turn-style clicks twice. Since Haunt is its own separate ticket event
Magic Mountain has Fright Fest, which is also popular. But I've never been -- I take it MM doesn't have the separate ticket business?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
No, when it comes to Six Flags with Fright Fest... it comes as an included feature. (Although some parks charge extra for some the houses.) Not sure how other Cedar Fair parks handle it... The only one I've been to during Halloween was Dorney and since we only had 2 hours.... We skipped everything but coasters (I'd been +10 times and my friend wanted to credit-run after doing Great Adventure all day)
Universal, Disney you have to leave the park entirely if you don't have a ticket for the Halloween event. And thus anyone going to both, gets counted twice and anyone coming in at night... Is basically like adding an extra day to the year.... Only, it's more like two extra months!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
  • Disneyland Paris' is really a sad. They were 5th in the world in 2012. Hopefully they can start to recover when they've finished with all these overhauls.
  • SeaWorld Orlando down 7.8% despite Mako being open for half the year :(
  • It was very interesting to find out these guys are from another dimension where Gardaland has a second gate!!
  • 2 Legolands have a higher attendance than Phantasialand. Just wottice this?
  • Hopefully Shanghai DL can crack 10 mil for next year's report.

cookie

Giga Poster
Paris' tourist numbers seem to be on the way up again this year so hopefully DLP will recover. The overhauls and the 25th anniversary celebration should help.

Gröna Lund is in the EMEA top 20 woot

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Nice to see Kings Island made the list. Was there ever any doubt that Magic Kingdom would top NA?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Casio

Mega Poster
Slightly obscure question, but does anyone know why there's such a gulf between Chimelong Ocean Kingdom and Chimelong Paradise? Ocean Kingdom is the most attended non-Disney/Universal park in the world at 8.5m, whilst Paradise is under 4m. They're less than 2 hours away from each other and have similar ride line-ups, and Paradise has been around for a lot longer.

I'm going to Guangdong this summer to visit people who live there, and they suggested going to Paradise but hadn't even heard of Ocean Kingdom. Is it because Ocean Kingdom is near Macau?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Chimelong Paradise is much older (and a bit naff) but easily accessible from Guangzhou city. Ocean Kingdom is a couple of hours away but is a new, intensely themed park. It's leaps and bounds ahead of Paradise which is, in all honesty, a bit of a dump. As you say, Ocean Kingdom is also fairly close to Macau which gets loads of tourists.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They're not really similar at all. There's literally no ride that's copied across both places. The audience is massively different between them as well, with Ocean Kingdom being attractive to all age groups since it's mostly a marine park with a few rides in there. You'll see large tour groups of old people there who wouldn't be going to Paradise as it's literally just rides.

Plus, Guangzhou has more than just the one park. The water park is the busiest in the world, and the safari park must see huge numbers as well. With Ocean Kingdom, everything, for now, is in the same park. I'd guess that if you combined Chimelong Paradise, Chimelong Safari and Chimelong Water Park, then the numbers would be quite a lot closer.