What's new

Four New Coasters for Cedar Fair Opening 2018

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
My money is on Intamin. The last Intamin project (and one that broke the donkey's back) was Shoot the Rapids and I305 in 2010. Cedar Fair has a definitive split from the company afterwards (due in part to continued problems plaguing both ride's designs), and would qualify as a "renewed relationship" for future projects. Intamin Hypers/Gigas would be great to continue rolling out for the park chain.

As for the new roller coaster type, wasn't the quote "new to the park chain"?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
As for the new roller coaster type, wasn't the quote "new to the park chain"?
Here's the exact quotation from CF CEO Matt Ouimet: "I'm proud of decisions we've made to drive our business in 2017 and we're confident this will be another record year for Cedar Fair. Well, we are laser-focused on 2017; construction has already begun on multiple high impact tractions that will come online in 2018. As we look to build on Cedar Fair's history, we'll be adding to our collection of world class coasters, including a completely new type of coaster, a dramatic transformation of two of our historical wooden coasters, and a renewed relationship with a manufacturer who we haven't worked with in recent history that will add another coaster and deepen our pool of ride manufacturers. It is this type of innovation that will allow us to continue to grow beyond our near term goals."

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's the exact quotation from CF CEO Matt Ouimet: "I'm proud of decisions we've made to drive our business in 2017 and we're confident this will be another record year for Cedar Fair. Well, we are laser-focused on 2017; construction has already begun on multiple high impact tractions that will come online in 2018. As we look to build on Cedar Fair's history, we'll be adding to our collection of world class coasters, including a completely new type of coaster, a dramatic transformation of two of our historical wooden coasters, and a renewed relationship with a manufacturer who we have worked with in recent history that will add another coaster and deepen our pool of ride manufacturers. It is this type of innovation that will allow us to continue to grow beyond our near term goals."
Cool, thanks for the quote. I guess it's a matter of looking back at IAAPA to see what good options are out there! RMC Raptor would be an interesting prospect, though that has struck me as a roller coaster type meant for smaller parks. I personally have hoped to see a continuation of B&Ms throughout the chain to help round out coaster lineups at respective parks.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Its pure speculation but I'm putting my money on Vekoma for deepening the pool of manufacturers. We all know they've stepped up their game recently and there are supposedly a couple of new flyers on the way as well and then there is that prototype over at their test site. They are certainly a possibility

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I wouldn't call it a renewed relationship however, considering Cedar Fair never had a relationship with Vekoma in the first place. :p

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
If the RMC single-rail is at Knott's, it's going to be a T-Rex, not a Raptor.

My predictions: RMC T-Rex at Knott's, and an Intamin blitz at CW.

The small parks, of course, will be getting two new additions each: Jack and Squat.

ColMouseturd

Roller Poster
Hey all, brand new to CoasterForce go easy on me
I'm personally not sold on RMC single-rail. With RMC hurler and MS coming in do we think that 2018 will entail 3 new coasters from RMC? Seems a tad strenuous. That being said it can explain why RMC MS is being rushed now to be ready for 2018 season. They have oodles of building to do. I'm near certain that Intamin is the manufacturer to be rekindled. But then where does that leave B&M? CF loves B&M, I would be surprised to see nothing between them for 2 years in a row. Maybe B&M has some "new coaster" up their sleeve that we dont know about. Shot in the dark but launched flyer?
As for where? I'm hopping on the CW bandwagon. Old Skyrider plot has been sitting there for way too long, and both of these two coasters are "risky" for CF so why not shove it in the park where you could get like a billion SLCs and still have highest seasonal attendance. But with the dollar how it is, CW only pulls in 75% of its revenue, and building up there costs 125% of what it would be in the States. Thoughts?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
^ In reply to the B&M comment. It could be possible CF can't buy a B&M this year or next because B&M have their books full. They have a fantastically busy schedule the next couple of years in China and Europe and they don't produce that many rides a year anyway.

This is just me speculating but it wouldn't surprise me if you don't see an American B&M until 2020.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Would this be a possible fit at Knott's? Potentially the non-spinning variant since they have Sierra Sidewinder, but it ticks all the other boxes:-

IG9887

Roller Poster
Would this be a possible fit at Knott's? Potentially the non-spinning variant since they have Sierra Sidewinder, but it ticks all the other boxes:-

Even that still seems too low of capacity tbh. Plus whats the point of getting and extreme SPINNING coaster and not having it SPIN? I do see where you were coming from though

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^Well the non-spinning varient has the big-dipper trains with winged seats, not to mention you can sit backwards. And as far as I am aware of, there are no other coasters at Knott's that have winged seats and go backwards. Also, capacity won't be a big issue if it has 2 trains, each with 16 riders per train with the spinning turntable, it would still pull around 1000pph.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
This would be same capacity as Boomerang essentially. Not like they don't have enough absolute garbage capacity rides already. Why not one more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Fan theory:

This Intamin meeting has nothing to do with Cedar Point. Cedar Fair's headquarters is in Sandusky and I believe that Sandor and his buddies were there to discuss a contract, not a ride for Cedar Point. They're probably signing a contract for at least one new generation Intamin Impulse for CGA (makes perfect sense, as CGA's proposal featured an impulse, Wicked Twister has been a relatively successful Intamin job for CF, and if they're going to give them another shot they'll want to start small and an impulse fits the profile of a good starter project perfectly).

We all know CP loves to throw their fanboys a bone. CP fanboys that stalk the park and take fifty new photos of the new slushie stand and make them their Facebook cover photos are the cancer of the fandom, CP knows that, they love to screw with them. There's a reason Tony Clark is the biggest troll on Twitter. My theory? They realized that they had real, actual Intamin people at the park in the flesh and thought, "when are we gonna get a chance to screw with them on this level again?" So Jason tweeted that package out and waited. And the next thing you know, the entire afternoon after the meeting was spent with men in suits from Cedar Fair and Intamin sitting around a projector screen with social media cued up eating popcorn laughing their arses off.

You got played, CP fanboys. Stop taking the bait, I might laugh at Facebook too hard and pull something.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Fanboys have demanded RMCing of Mean Streak, converting Mantis to floorless, and for other B&Ms for years however. As far as they see it - they are sage gods who can see into the future.

Cedar Point is timing out their attraction lineup nicely for something in 2020 as part of the park's 150th anniversary. If it were Intamin? That'd be cool.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Speaking of the Point, they're sort of starting to run out of wishes to fulfill now, aren't they? I guess there's still a market for a Flyer, or a launched multi-looper, but Raptor/Gatekeeper and Maverick sort of cover those already. And they've got their assortments of Dive Machines and Gigas and Hypers and loopscrews and floorlesses and whatnot now...