What's new

Olympia-Looping at London's German Christmas Market

Ben

CF Legend
I wonder why they just shoved extra cars on, what they were waiting for them in the post?

I guess probably to see if it was needed for the capacity?

Jared

Hyper Poster
They didn't even bring them over. They sent a team to go pick up the extra cars from Germany as capacity needs it. It's the first time in the rides history it's done so outside of Oktoberfest.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah apparently they had to go and get a couple of other payment booths for one of the other rides due to popularity.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Had an amazing day actually (I'm a bit shocked). Got there for opening and did the front row for Munich Looping. It was good but not that great. The positive g's felt nicer than I anticipated but I thought it was a non-event apart from the loops. Didn't even notice the restraints which was a plus.
If it wasn't for Olympia Looping I probably wouldn't have bothered going, and I'd only initially planned doing that ride and Ice Mountain but I ended up getting caught up in the excitement and did every cred plus a couple of rerides and Hangover.
I went back at the evening to Olympia Looping at the back and it was better. I now love the curved lift hill and loops were crazy intense at the top, plus a little bit of airtime on a couple of drops. It's obviously amazing for a travelling coaster but it's still incredibly overrated when people describe it as the best coaster to come to the UK.
Other things:
*Ice Mountain is fab.
*Those in-queue obstacle courses turned from enjoyable to an ordeal VERY QUICKLY.
*The ghost train thing blaring out efteling's Fata Morgana soundtrack was j u b i l a n t.
*And what is euro coaster? Who is she? WHO IS SHE? WHERE DID YOU FIND HER? The track profiling made me screech. The ride was nowhere near as harrowing as Alpine Thriller though.
* The racing coaster op taking pity on me and giving me back my tokens. <3
* I saw Dame Judi Dench (not in winter wonderland unfortunately)

Smithy

Strata Poster
It is the best coaster to come to the UK though? Like, in travelling terms at least.

I think the bulk of it's reputation stems from it being the best of it's kind, as in travelling.

Euro Coaster lol. Awful thing.

I'm tempted to go back down to do OL at night, moreso now they've added a few cars to each train. So much hassle though.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I went off to WW on Saturday since I can't make the CF meet next weekend. Decent event, but I preferred the assault-on-the-senses approach of the one I went to in Hamburg.

Olympia Looping is decent. Felt like an extended version of Teststrecke, which I suppose is exactly what it is. Intense loops, with some good sideways airtime moments on one or two of the drops. I always love the sections on these where you race through the supports. Unfortunately, the shoulder restraints are vile, and the ride op was particularly enthusiastic with mine, so I spent my ride hunched forward uncomfortably. Solid 7 from me.

I grabbed 4 other creds while I was there. Alpine Thriller was a bit meh, and it looked like it was a Pinfari, which explains things. The Wild Mouse was a wild mouse. But it did have the most extensive funhouse queueline, which was pretty cool (I spent a moment worried I'd spent tokens on a standard funhouse).

Pink Panther said:
*And what is euro coaster? Who is she? WHO IS SHE? WHERE DID YOU FIND HER? The track profiling made me screech. The ride was nowhere near as harrowing as Alpine Thriller though.
I KNOW, RIGHT? So uncomfortable. I was mostly put off by the sounds the ride made. Just before each hairpin was a "clunk" noise that made it sound like it was about to eject the car from the track. The small child sitting next to me didn't seem to enjoy it either.

Ice Mountain was pretty cool with the theming and disco stuff, but putting a spinning mouse in the dark means you can't brace yourself from the pain. Eeeeugh.

Gareth Devey

Roller Poster
Hi Everyone

Been a Lurker for a while loving reading the many posts but never felt i needed to add to the discussions, However i am going to WW on Friday to Ride Olympia (Munich) Looping, Only issue is my girlfriend is expecting and cannot ride with me. what is the que times been like im going on Friday and hoping to get at least one ride in the evening.

Lofty

CF Legend
Hi Everyone

Been a Lurker for a while loving reading the many posts but never felt i needed to add to the discussions, However i am going to WW on Friday to Ride Olympia (Munich) Looping, Only issue is my girlfriend is expecting and cannot ride with me. what is the que times been like im going on Friday and hoping to get at least one ride in the evening.
I went on a Saturday evening and it was HEAVING - the queue was all of 5 minutes? On and off in about 7 or 8 minutes. You should be ok! If you pay contactless on your card, they let you skip the queue and you head nearly direct into the station.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, Lofty is right. I too went on Saturday evening (wonder how close we were to missing each other) and from paying to getting off the ride it must have been around 10 minutes in total. Hopefully not too long for her to have to wait!

My thoughts: Olympia Looping is pretty cool! It's not the best coaster in the world, but it's impressive considering it's travelling and visually looks great. Fairly smooth with good positive Gs, couldn't really complain. The rest of WW was reasonably good - although I only rode three other coasters (Wilde Maus XXL - not bad, Euro Coaster - ew, Thriller - EWWW) as I couldn't be bothered paying for the spinners. Flats aren't really my thing either, so I didn't bother with those. I enjoyed the atmosphere and it wasn't too busy, but I was glad to leave when I did (I arrived around 4pm, left around 6pm) as it did seem to be getting busier. A nice early evening activity, and a good +4! :)

I was going to post these in the photography thread, but think I'll stick them here instead. Some pictures I took at Winter Wonderland:

1_zps7gnt4agq.jpg

2_zpsscujaxvc.jpg

3_zpsffe54zsm.jpg

4_zpsuy7o1iap.jpg

5_zpsmxjy6seb.jpg

6_zps0pbw9kjn.jpg

:)

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Was very impressed with OL, did a ride in front seat, back seat and a middle row. Front seat was best for me, even preferred it over the back row. Fantastic ride and glad I got the opportunity to ride it.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Did OL this afternoon, found it to be very enjoyable and surprisingly smooth. Was a bit worried about the restraints after what some people said here (being 6ft 2) but they were fine. Solid coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Just back from WW, had been a couple of weeks ago as well. My first visit was during a dry day and while it was great it wasn't all that intense but now they've added an extra car to the back (plus a soaking wet evening tonight) the back row ride was insane. So intense. Fanbloodytastic.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I really enjoyed it. Good fun, nice loops, generally pretty good.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My thoughts...

It's good, but it's not as good as I remember Magnum Force being. I have a feeling this memory is thus just... Wrong, haha. But I'm curious to know what others think?

Something that upsets me somewhat is how poorly placed Olympia Looping is, though. Those rides were literally designed to be a visual spectacle from the front - to compete for your pennies in ways non-traveling rides don't have to worry about. Sadly, you cannot stand in front of it far enough away from it to truly appreciate that and approach it from an awkward angle. It really should be the focal point of the fair at the end of an entry walkway like a Disney castle.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I know that if I were to reride Magnum Force now, I'd likely be disappointed. I used to absolutely love it, but that was pre-enthusiast and I've ridden s**tloads more since, finding most Shwarzkopfs to be vastly overrated.