What's new

Drayton Manor | Unknown | Intamin Unknown | 2024

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Not sure if it's worthy of going into a construction topic yet, but the site is being boarded up - which must mean construction for the new 2024 coaster is starting imminently.

I'm genuinely excited to see what they come up with, the recent additions have really strengthened the resort after many years of decline, and although Rome wasn't built in a day, they certainly feel like they're putting in a strong foundation.

Justin2000

Mega Poster
Do we definitely not need planning permission for this?

Do they have a maximum height limit before they need approval?

I believe at Six Flags Great America, They can build anything under 125 feet without needing approval

T0M

Hyper Poster
Do they have a maximum height limit before they need approval?

I believe at Six Flags Great America, They can build anything under 125 feet without needing approval
How amazing that would be to be a thing in the UK! Not sure if this covered by an existing agreement, general development order (GDO) etc. I'm sure someone can advise!

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
Not sure if it's worthy of going into a construction topic yet, but the site is being boarded up - which must mean construction for the new 2024 coaster is starting imminently.

I'm genuinely excited to see what they come up with, the recent additions have really strengthened the resort after many years of decline, and although Rome wasn't built in a day, they certainly feel like they're putting in a strong foundation.

It's about time Drayton did something lol. I know it's meant to be a family thrill coaster and they have very little space to work with but it might be a reason to go back there.

I also hope they never change Shockwave to a sit-down. It wouldn't be as iconic if it was a sit-down, and losing that stand up zero-g roll would be very sad. However, I can see them doing it based on some of the B&M ones already having undergone the same treatment.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
OK this one's bugging me now. We have a family thrill coaster confirmed for 2024, construction fences went up 3 weeks ago and yet, as far as I can tell, nobody has the slightest idea what we can expect here. I mean, at this point it could literally be anything, right?
Do you not think it's a bit weird that nobody knows nothing? 🤔

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
OK this one's bugging me now. We have a family thrill coaster confirmed for 2024, construction fences went up 3 weeks ago and yet, as far as I can tell, nobody has the slightest idea what we can expect here. I mean, at this point it could literally be anything, right?
Do you not think it's a bit weird that nobody knows nothing? 🤔

I personally think it's quite refreshing and impressive that in this day and age, they've managed to keep it pretty much a total secret.

It will make the reveal even more exciting in my opinion ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
I think that looks like it could be great fun!

It’s quite a long ride for the size (if it’s that layout), it looks like it could have some surprisingly solid airtime for a family coaster, and overall, I think it looks like a really good addition that will satisfy their new family audience nicely!

It’s perhaps less thrill-centric than I think some were initially expecting, but given that they removed their biggest thrill ride to make way for it under the pretence that it no longer fitted with the park’s intended demographic, I’m not overly surprised that they’ve gone for something more family-orientated.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
If it's that layout then it claims to have 9 airtime moments, which depressingly would make it the most airtime packed cred in the country!

(Unless Exodus opens before it 😁)

Matt N

CF Legend
If it's that layout then it claims to have 9 airtime moments, which depressingly would make it the most airtime packed cred in the country!

(Unless Exodus opens before it 😁)
It should be noted that both the drop out of the station and the crest of the lift hill are seemingly counted as airtime moments by Intamin.

It should also be noted that unless I’m misinterpreting the video, the strength of this airtime won’t be overly strong; from what I could see, the strongest moment of airtime on the ride will have a force of 0.2G, which does not even reach complete 0G. Some of the airtime moments had force as low as 0.5G.

So essentially, the airtime moments on the ride will probably be some nice floater airtime if it is that layout; I’m not picturing anything overly strong based on the forces given. It’s a family coaster, though, so I would never expect any strong airtime to begin with, and besides, any airtime is good airtime (for the most part)!

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
I think it will be a great fit for Drayton and their new target audience. If it's well-themed with some good interactions with the terrain that can always make it feel faster too.

However, I do think Shockwave can't have much life left in it, so would this be a worthy replacement? I'm not sure. But, if they are looking towards a more family friendly market, then rides of Shockwaves scale may not have a future anyway.