What's new

Vintage Theme Park Maps

Bowser

Mega Poster
Sorry not sure where to post this but tidying up and found a collection of theme park maps from around 1989-99, not sure if they have any value or if people would just be interested in seeing them! Can take some photos if the latter. Mostly Alton Towers, American Adventure and Disneyland.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Would love to see some photos of them @Bowser! As the still-self-proclaimed Cedar Point stan for the forums; I have a slew of Cedar Point maps ranging from the late 70s to present day. Always love seeing other park maps and how they evolve overtime!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Would love to see the American Adventure ones!!!

Especially 1995 - 1999 when I spent almost every Saturday and Sunday in the park, yet somehow managed to save nothing!!! (We didn’t use maps!!! Maps are for old people… Who needs maps at 12 to 16 years old!!!)

Also, so many people I talk to can’t remember the Slingshot ride in front of the sky coaster / near the buffalo, I think it was called Ejector Seat, so it would be interesting to see if it was on any of the maps with it being so temporary. Though this was later, maybe 2001???

Bowser

Mega Poster
Would love to see the American Adventure ones!!!

Especially 1995 - 1999 when I spent almost every Saturday and Sunday in the park, yet somehow managed to save nothing!!! (We didn’t use maps!!! Maps are for old people… Who needs maps at 12 to 16 years old!!!)

Also, so many people I talk to can’t remember the Slingshot ride in front of the sky coaster / near the buffalo, I think it was called Ejector Seat, so it would be interesting to see if it was on any of the maps with it being so temporary. Though this was later, maybe 2001???

I don't remember that one either tbh but think i only visited in the 90s. Do you know why the park closed?

Bowser

Mega Poster
Would love to see some photos of them @Bowser! As the still-self-proclaimed Cedar Point stan for the forums; I have a slew of Cedar Point maps ranging from the late 70s to present day. Always love seeing other park maps and how they evolve overtime!

Sure thing, will see if i can figure out how to get photos on here later! I have a few of the "souvenir guides" too though there's a lot of pages to scan there unfortunately.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Sorry, i tried a couple but i can't seem to figure out how to do it :(

Tried attaching the photos but it won't accept them.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I don't remember that one either tbh but think i only visited in the 90s. Do you know why the park closed?
Oh so many issues, neglect, subsidence of the grand entrance, Granada, neighbour issues leading to planning permission struggles, problems with their last big investment (flying island, the problems were more than just maintenance issues, again, neighbours complained constantly and very publically, going to the local press on multiple occasions,) broome ultimately failing with his plans, the list could go on...

But ultimately a string of misplaced investments, at a time when they had some momentum in the early-mid 90s, is what struck the mortal blow. Then a period of very little investment is when the life support was turned off altogether. Those last few years of 'changing direction to a more family focused park' were just the park's 'death rattle.' It's fate was pretty much sealed when Broome couldn't deliver and dropped out.

On the plus side, the houses are flying up on the site fast now, and it seems like we get more and more new regular customers each week. :) (at least until we have to put prices up beyond the reach of normal human beings!!!)

If you're interested, this is a very good little documentary on the park, with most details included and accurate.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Keep returning to this topic to look at some vintage theme park maps.
Keep being disappointed.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Keep returning to this topic to look at some vintage theme park maps.
Keep being disappointed.

Sorry! I did have another go, for some reason even third party hosting sites won't accept the images from my phone (i was going to post links).... if you have any suggestions i've got a couple of the images still saved.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Oh so many issues, neglect, subsidence of the grand entrance, Granada, neighbour issues leading to planning permission struggles, problems with their last big investment (flying island, the problems were more than just maintenance issues, again, neighbours complained constantly and very publically, going to the local press on multiple occasions,) broome ultimately failing with his plans, the list could go on...

But ultimately a string of misplaced investments, at a time when they had some momentum in the early-mid 90s, is what struck the mortal blow. Then a period of very little investment is when the life support was turned off altogether. Those last few years of 'changing direction to a more family focused park' were just the park's 'death rattle.' It's fate was pretty much sealed when Broome couldn't deliver and dropped out.

On the plus side, the houses are flying up on the site fast now, and it seems like we get more and more new regular customers each week. :) (at least until we have to put prices up beyond the reach of normal human beings!!!)

If you're interested, this is a very good little documentary on the park, with most details included and accurate.

Oh wow, thanks for the informative answer! Sounds like you have a business locally?

Thanks for the link too, will give that a watch. Looks like they have lots of other interesting videos there too :D

Edit: Finished! Found that really upsetting for some reason. I suppose it's sad seeing treasured childhood memories destroyed. Although seeing Buzz Aldrin go on The Missile when he must have been in his 60s gives me hope i have a few more decades of rollercoaster riding in me!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Man, the 2005-2007 isometric maps are so pleasing. <3