What's new

Genting SkyWorlds | Malaysia | Theme Park

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
That Ice Age attraction be lookin Disney level... and maybe since Disney owns Fox we could see somethin' alike to that in one of them parks of theres...
(my fingers crossed that no because Ice Age is a dog poop franchise)

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
As of yesterday, (February 12), Genting Skyworlds was able to get their first coaster opened to guests after its absence during the early soft opening and extensive employee ride previews/testing. Samba Gliders began construction in 2017 and marks the first Setpoint suspended coaster to open in 12 years. Judging by the wait times that it's racked up on the park's app in comparison to everything else, it's already quite popular.
genting-skyworlds-formerly-fox-world-malaysia-22772500.png
genting-skyworlds-formerly-fox-world-malaysia-09897500.jpg

Last edited:

mzarif. __

Roller Poster
There are a few more attractions left that have not been opened yet
1. Acorn Adventure
2. Expedition Thin Ice
3. Mad Ramp Peak
4. SFX Coaster unknown
5. Planet Of Apes
6. Wings Over Rio

Does anyone know about the attraction of Wings Over Rio? It's a kind of boat ride in a big building but I can't get much info about it even on the main site of Genting in the rio area there is no mention of boat attractions.
Screenshot_20220214_061116_edit_71256390983180.jpgScreenshot_20220214_061330_edit_71390813791254.jpg

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Here's a little eyebrow-raiser for the day. The Terraform Tower Challenge actually has the loading platform floor drop out from under guests so that they can plunge down to a show scene around 20-30 feet below ground. Not something that's ever been seen on an S&S tower ride to date. Look's like they have some kind of show scene down there (mind the cut in the video, riders spend more than 5 seconds at the bottom), which would make sense given that the Alien vs Predator was originally tapped for this ride. See it here;

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Honestly, do we as a community have the slightest bit of knowledge as to why these SFX coasters seem to never be in a position to open? I'm really curious. Is it H&S? Ride programming? Weight issues? We've seen the Ferrari one test and test with different seat iterations for years but never open. And are there other rides that use the same hardware manufactured by the same company? Are any of the universal coasters like gringotts or whatever made by dynamix? So many questions

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Honestly, do we as a community have the slightest bit of knowledge as to why these SFX coasters seem to never be in a position to open? I'm really curious. Is it H&S? Ride programming? Weight issues? We've seen the Ferrari one test and test with different seat iterations for years but never open. And are there other rides that use the same hardware manufactured by the same company? Are any of the universal coasters like gringotts or whatever made by dynamix? So many questions
From what I have heard on the Ferrari one, it's a combination of factors -
  • The ride hardware was finished long before the theming, so it sort of took 'twice as long' to even build it.
  • It has a number of special elements which have been difficult to commission (perhaps due to it being a prototype for SFX has made this a bit tougher).
  • The theming itself is quite elaborate and has some 'show' scenes, which have also taken extra time to dial in.
  • SFX have changed bits of the design along the way which has meant other modifications have to be done.
To be honest though, I don't know if anyone has every publicly shared any specifics. I've heard these things from people who do know some of what's going on, but not the full picture.

Given the country, I wouldn't be surprised that there might also be some commercial delays having an impact too.

Lofty

CF Legend
From what I have heard on the Ferrari one, it's a combination of factors -
  • The ride hardware was finished long before the theming, so it sort of took 'twice as long' to even build it.
  • It has a number of special elements which have been difficult to commission (perhaps due to it being a prototype for SFX has made this a bit tougher).
  • The theming itself is quite elaborate and has some 'show' scenes, which have also taken extra time to dial in.
  • SFX have changed bits of the design along the way which has meant other modifications have to be done.
To be honest though, I don't know if anyone has every publicly shared any specifics. I've heard these things from people who do know some of what's going on, but not the full picture.

Given the country, I wouldn't be surprised that there might also be some commercial delays having an impact too.
Yeah. What Matt said - there's also the whole 'bitten off more than you can chew' idea with a strong concept, but not fully being able to deliver within budget or resources. Just look at the other product in the park that has the same manufacturer associated... still closed, too. Which is a SHAME, because I love Dynamic.

From what I've been told - this is genuinely on a permanent hold and it doesn't seem to be sitting well with GSW (obviously).

Gazza

Giga Poster
I mean I was under the impression the ride was done and it was a case of getting the mechanical systems to work properly.

But now it seems like The whole attraction must be on a monthly payment plan or something.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I mean I was under the impression the ride was done and it was a case of getting the mechanical systems to work properly.

But now it seems like The whole attraction must be on a monthly payment plan or something.
Half of its still sat in the car park. One piece a month I reckon.