What's new

Underwater coaster Alton Towers

Bowser

Mega Poster
When i was young i have a vague memory of Alton Towers being on a Saturday morning kids show, they were discussing a new ride and they had a model of a new rollercoaster that would sit in the lake in front of the Towers and would go underwater. Did i imagine this or was it ever something planned? Or perhaps an April Fools?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ah makes sense. Did seem questionable even as a child 😂

Is there any footage online?
I haven't see any, but it would be fun to dig out. Might be worth e-mailing Radio 4's Rewinder to dig into the archive.

Looking at broadcast dates, it would either be Going Live in 1989, or Live And Kicking in 1995. I'm thinking the latter, with the guys from Alton Towers boasting about taking it up a level from Nemesis and being interviewed by John Barrowman.

Bowser

Mega Poster
I haven't see any, but it would be fun to dig out. Might be worth e-mailing Radio 4's Rewinder to dig into the archive.

Looking at broadcast dates, it would either be Going Live in 1989, or Live And Kicking in 1995. I'm thinking the latter, with the guys from Alton Towers boasting about taking it up a level from Nemesis and being interviewed by John Barrowman.

I found this which seems to back up your date suggestions:

Edit: Found it!

Sadly the video has been removed but there's a picture

1661858250373.png

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Fabulous! I remember at the time thinking the carriage didn't look very practical and that people would drown (if the sharks didn't get them first)

Bowser

Mega Poster
Fabulous! I remember at the time thinking the carriage didn't look very practical and that people would drown (if the sharks didn't get them first)

Ha. I remember thinking "the queue is going to be awful if you have to change into a scuba outfit to ride it!"