What's new

Knotts Berry Farm 2023

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For those who would like a visual, here's a good idea of how this would fit in if built (not my image);
View attachment 15232
Oh… so I guess we won’t need my crude MS Paint render then… 😅

1640749677673.jpeg

All of this definitely reflects the concept process we’ve seen with other coaster builds, especially how layout can evolve over time. Emphasis on not a “New-for-2022” build - would be phenomenal if they execute on this!

SeanC

Mega Poster
I wish this were true but I just don't see how this would fly in a residential neighborhood. I'd go for a hyper though which might be possible given that it doesn't need to be much if at all taller than xcellerator

Skyye

Mega Poster
I wish this were true but I just don't see how this would fly in a residential neighborhood. I'd go for a hyper though which might be possible given that it doesn't need to be much if at all taller than xcellerator
Yeah but the drop tower structure is 300+ ft tall. I'm sure residents will be fine. Their fault for moving next to an amusement park.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I mean FWIW; Knott's arguably has already crammed a lot in - one more coaster track wouldn't necessarily break the donkeys' back (let's remember sandfilled track is actually pretty quiet, even at high speeds):

1640787555715.png

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Do Knotts have another parking solution to replace the 2/3 of the lot they’ve just turned into a LO/TO zone? Honest question cause I don’t know much about Knotts’ situation.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Do Knotts have another parking solution to replace the 2/3 of the lot they’ve just turned into a LO/TO zone? Honest question cause I don’t know much about Knotts’ situation.
They have quite extensive lot parking, both on property and surrounding the property (any lots you see across the street are operated by Knott's). This coaster design is believed to be apart of a broader capital improvement project that would also see parking garage structures put in - a welcome addition to improve parking density and save the hike through the parking lot. If you zoom into the plans, what are currently tennis courts by the hotel are marked as "parking structure" 1640791081081.png

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
They have quite extensive lot parking, both on property and surrounding the property (any lots you see across the street are operated by Knott's). This coaster design is believed to be apart of a broader capital improvement project that would also see parking garage structures put in - a welcome addition to improve parking density and save the hike through the parking lot. If you zoom into the plans, what are currently tennis courts by the hotel are marked as "parking structure" View attachment 15235
Thanks! Good to know they’re investing into their parking situation, as it seems like every park could use some improvements to their lots.

SeanC

Mega Poster
Yeah but the drop tower structure is 300+ ft tall. I'm sure residents will be fine. Their fault for moving next to an amusement park.

good point on the drop tower. building in socal can be a lot more involved (layers of approval etc.) than in other states, so I'm honestly not sure what needs to be overcome. I imagine it's a lot but I hope I'm wrong.

Matt N

CF Legend
I hope it's real, but I just can't see this happening any time soon. Even with the layout leak. COVID will mess the plans up.
Why would COVID mess the plans up, out of interest? We've been in the pandemic for nearly 2 years now, so surely any cancellation or delay would have happened long before now?

Also, the Dropbox files have now disappeared, for what it's worth.

SeanC

Mega Poster
Why would COVID mess the plans up, out of interest? We've been in the pandemic for nearly 2 years now, so surely any cancellation or delay would have happened long before now?

Also, the Dropbox files have now disappeared, for what it's worth.
I'm not entirely sure why, but California is incredibly careful when it comes to COVID. By comparison, I was just in Orlando, and it seemed like Omicron didn't exist when I looked at how many people didn't wear masks inside. You don't have that option in California. I wonder to what degree Knott's out-of-state visits have declined compared to other parks in the region and Central Florida parks. The park might decide it's not worth it if guests aren't coming back at the rate they need to for an investment to be worthwhile.

Rupert

Mega Poster
let's remember sandfilled track is actually pretty quiet, even at high speeds
I’ve not really thought about this before but I wonder what this does to the cost of a coaster. Sand is obviously cheap compared to steel, but there is time/labour involved plus the added weight of the sand - I’m assuming though that any extra weight is too insignificant to affect supports/foundations?

Looks good though, hope they do indeed build this - looks a much better layout than the original proposal (part of the same leak):

rideguy70

Mega Poster
Still find this plan hard to believe because of how close it gets to residential. Anything on that side of park is really close to homes. That south and southwest corner is pretty touchy, as it's where all the residential are--just look in the picture from posts #21 and #22 see how close they are.

• Xcelerator and Coast Rider are just north of homes, being more across vacant lots, parking lots, and I believe a Fire Station and/or business.
  • Cedar Fair had to put in diffusers to muffle the sound on Supreme Scream due to residential complaints from noise when it first opened (as seen in this 1996 article from the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jul-30-me-8500-story.html)
  • Pony Express had to completely enclose the final turn around tunnel, because that's where the residential starts.
  • And on other person brought up how Montezuma is loud, but it's nowhere near the residential side of the park.

Yes, those people know they live across the street from an amusement park. But there's a difference when a 300+ ft coaster is suddenly right outside your backyard when it was a parking lot for decades.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I’ve not really thought about this before but I wonder what this does to the cost of a coaster. Sand is obviously cheap compared to steel, but there is time/labour involved plus the added weight of the sand - I’m assuming though that any extra weight is too insignificant to affect supports/foundations?
Sand-filled track has become pretty common place in the industry to the best of my knowledge (anyone else have an industry stat?)

I can Knott believe it.
Hah, pun.

I'd agree more with @Matt N; Covid's mark has been made, pushing back development plans, investments, etc. So the die has probably been cast, rather than creating new delays.

I also wouldn't bet against further layout modification. For instance, what if the layout were further revised to be low-cutting to the ground, a la Intimidator 305 - it would allow for easier sound barrier with residential zoning for instance. Actually... a lot of Fury is this style layout, outside of the first overbank.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Still find this plan hard to believe because of how close it gets to residential. Anything on that side of park is really close to homes. That south and southwest corner is pretty touchy, as it's where all the residential are--just look in the picture from posts #21 and #22 how close they are.

Xcelerator and Coast Rider are just north of homes, being more across vacant lots, parking lots, and I believe a Fire Station and/or business.
Cedar Fair had to put in diffusers to muffle the sound on Supreme Scream due to residential complaints from noise when it first opened (as seen in this 1996 article from the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jul-30-me-8500-story.html)
Pony Express had to completely enclose the final turn around tunnel, because that's where the residential starts.
And on other person brought up how Montezuma is loud, but it's nowhere near the residential side of the park.

Yes, those people know they live across the street from an amusement park. But there's a difference when a 300+ ft coaster is suddenly right outside your backyard when it was a parking lot for decades.
I was wondering about that too, with the example of Pony Express in particular. It's not a very tall or fast coaster, but its final turn still had to be enclosed. If that is the sort of requirements they are operating under, how would they be allowed to build a Giga?
(let's remember sandfilled track is actually pretty quiet, even at high speeds)
I don't think the track rumble is the main issue. It's the screams from riders. Human screaming is a sound the ear is evolutionarily trained to pick up and be alert to, so it is very jarring. It is a somewhat easily muffled sound because it's high-pitched, but it also travels easily. The first drop of a Giga would cause very loud screaming, and if the final turn of a motocoaster is unacceptable, what would it take to fit a Giga in the rules? I mean, enclosing the drop would take away most of the point, wouldn't it?

Matt N

CF Legend
Coaster Studios has done a video about Knotts’ giga coaster, and has deciphered some bits about it:
Most interestingly, Taylor has suggested that the ride will be 325ft tall (around the same as Fury), but the B&M height record will be gained through a 347ft drop into an underground tunnel.