What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Well i was bored this morning so i did something completely pointless

Merlin has bought many B&M's over the years so thought I'd look how they compare

Average Height Of A B&M Wing Coaster = 42.95m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Wing Coaster = 37.23m
Percentage = 86.68%
Average Length Of A B&M Wing Coaster = 979.26m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Wing Coaster = 772.37m
Percentage = 78.87%

Average Height Of A B&M Dive Coaster = 53.66m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Dive Coaster = 46.13m
Percentage = 85.96%
Average Length Of A B&M Dive Coaster = 757.05m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Dive Coaster = 471.5m
Percentage = 62.28%

Average Height Of A B&M Flying Coaster = 37.27m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Flying Coaster = 20m
Percentage = 53.66%
Average Length Of A B&M Flying Coaster = 936.92m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Flying Coaster = 840m
Percentage = 89.66%

Average Height Of A B&M Inverted Coaster = 36.76m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Inverted Coaster = 21m
Percentage = 57.12%
Average Length Of A B&M Inverted Coaster = 917.01m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Inverted Coaster = 733m
Percentage = 79.93%

Now if we combine allthose percentages the average Merlin B&M is 70.86% as tall as the average B&M in general and 77.69% as long

So if we take the B&M mega coasters stats below and apply the percentages above
Average Height Of A B&M Mega Coaster = 67.91m
Average Length Of A B&M Mega Coaster = 1521.25m

Predicted Height of a Merlin B&M Mega Coaster = 48.13m (157.9ft)
Predicted Length of a Merlin B&M Mega Coaster = 1181.79m (3877.27ft)

Right I don't think anyone can argue with any of that :p
Proof it wont be as tall as everyone hopes.

Now forget you read all that and enjoy the rest of your day :)

I honestly would love to see a B&M Mega around 160ft. think La Ronde's Goliath with more turns maybe. As long as it has a few prolonged floater hills with a more modern (Makodium) pacing. I don't think they need to break records to make something the GP would love too.

Matt N

CF Legend
I enjoyed reading your reasons Matt, they were well thought out and well written. But I hope I don’t offend you by saying that in those reasons, you do seem to be struggling with tunnel vision a little.
I'm not offended at all, in fact based on some of my behaviour in this thread, I think that's a very fair thing to say.

I think regardless of who you are, what you're like or what you want, it can sometimes be very easy to twist things or exaggerate their importance to fit your desired narrative when you really want something, even if you're not necessarily intending to. I'll admit that I can sometimes be privy to doing that without realising it (I never intend to do it, but I do sometimes get a bit carried away with excitement!); let me assure you that I certainly don't intend to manipulate people or twist things to fit my own preferences, but I think when you want something a lot, you can sometimes gloss over the detractors from points almost sub-consciously, and focus only on the boosters. I think your term "tunnel vision" is a very good way of putting it from my standpoint, to be honest; it's not that I intend to manipulate people to push a certain narrative or anything, but I think I sometimes have a tendency to get carried away and gloss over the detractors from some points!

Do you get what I mean?

But on a project note; my personal prediction is still B&M Hyper Coaster that will break the UK height record.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm not offended at all, in fact based on some of my behaviour in this thread, I think that's a very fair thing to say.

I think regardless of who you are, what you're like or what you want, it can sometimes be very easy to twist things or exaggerate their importance to fit your desired narrative when you really want something, even if you're not necessarily intending to. I'll admit that I can sometimes be privy to doing that without realising it (I never intend to do it, but I do sometimes get a bit carried away with excitement!); let me assure you that I certainly don't intend to manipulate people or twist things to fit my own preferences, but I think when you want something a lot, you can sometimes gloss over the detractors from points almost sub-consciously, and focus only on the boosters. I think your term "tunnel vision" is a very good way of putting it from my standpoint, to be honest; it's not that I intend to manipulate people to push a certain narrative or anything, but I think I sometimes have a tendency to get carried away and gloss over the detractors from some points!

Do you get what I mean?

But on a project note; my personal prediction is still B&M Hyper Coaster that will break the UK height record.
I get what you mean buddy. I think it’s almost confirmation bias…

“confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one's existing beliefs.”

Except in this case it’s more that we search for evidence that supports something we really want, rather than something we already believe.

We’re all susceptible to things like that, we’re human… Sadly, on the more serious side of things, true confirmation bias has in the past led to many accidents and disasters. :/ So it’s definitely something to watch out for.

For what it’s worth, I catch myself doing it all the time too… And usually when it’s too late 🙈

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Regarding what will attract the GP and whatnot. The bottom line is that people enjoy good coasters, regardless of whether or not they are record breaking or who they're manufactured by.

Build it and they will come*

*Unless it's sh*t.

Matt N

CF Legend
Question; is it known whether Thorpe are holding actual in-person meetings for this consultation where the plans will be formally revealed, or are they merely dropping the plans onto the website when the calendar hits 10th December?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I wonder if they'll do a live public reveal when the planning application is accepted, and the theme and full layout is announced in front of a crowd? It's gone down a few times in other parks before, and it would be super fun to watch as well. Perhaps a special day early into the off season: very limited tickets, live announcement in the Angry Birds Theatre, one celebratory ride on Stealth, get outta there by half 11. If they're extra hopeful start selling the ride's merch in the dome store on that day too (they've pre-emptively sold merch before and they'll do it again).

Perhaps the "one ride on Stealth" bit is a little unrealistic, but you get what I'm saying here.

Jared

Hyper Poster
Question; is it known whether Thorpe are holding actual in-person meetings for this consultation where the plans will be formally revealed, or are they merely dropping the plans onto the website when the calendar hits 10th December?

There doing public consultations on the 9th, but I’ve been lead to believe they’ll only be allowing locals in and will be requiring proof of local address. I believe this is simply to stop the important process being flooded with vloggers looking to get the scoop first.

Matt N

CF Legend
There doing public consultations on the 9th, but I’ve been lead to believe they’ll only be allowing locals in and will be requiring proof of local address. I believe this is simply to stop the important process being flooded with vloggers looking to get the scoop first.
Interesting... are there any local enthusiasts living near enough to Thorpe to qualify? I do understand why Merlin want to limit it, though; locals might feel a bit intimidated and unable to raise their genuine concerns if it's overrun by enthusiasts.

This is all very exciting, though; feels great to be discussing a new major investment at Thorpe again! Even though it was only in 2014, DBGT's early planning stages feel like such a long time ago!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
you know you're in for a good time when threads like these start snowballing. nostalgia for the FLY wall days.

You thought the F.L.Y thread was a 'good time'.

This will not be, 'A good time'.

finger-quotes.gif

Dan?

Roller Poster
Just for some more perspective...

Look how tight that turnaround would need to be to fit a mako drop in, from slammer, and then cut back to behind saw...

I'm not sure a mako style turnaround would work here... Maybe a different, highup turn, to kill the energy off before banking passengers into a complete blackout, but not a mako turn...
good thinking, Tell me which B&Ms have at least a 140 degree turnaround immediately after the drop, and I'll have a play around...

Diamondback is 365m to it's turnaround... We don't have that much length to play with.
Say you don't want a Hyper without saying you don't want a Hyper challenge!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I've been following this thread with great interest, and having delved into learning NoLimits 2 over the past months, I've been eager to use those skills for something interesting. So inspired by @CrashCoaster's joke about a shorter, Skyrush-esque B&M hyper for Thorpe - along with other posts in this thread - I've taken on the challenge of fitting such a coaster into the Loggers Leap/Old Town footprint (with the station/brake run in Slammer's plot). For good measure, this layout nabs the 'tallest in the UK' record at 218 feet/66 meters tall, reaches speeds of 77mph/124kmh, and is 4370 feet/1332 meters long. Here's the result:

And here's how it fits into Thorpe (blue arrows signify direction of travel):
unknown.png

I know it's not precisely B&M's style, as this layout is a bit more aggressive and twisted than their usual hypers, but my goal was to test if fitting a hyper in Old Town/Loggers Leap's plot was theoretically possible: bottom line, it definitely is. I've really enjoyed all this ongoing speculation and rumors so far, so hopefully I've managed to contribute something decent here.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Say you don't want a Hyper without saying you don't want a Hyper challenge!
If you’re going to quote me, don’t cut off the part that doesn’t fit with your agenda! 🙄

I absolutely do want a hyper, IF it can be done in a way that makes it as good as Shambhala or close… If it’s going to be a second rate hyper, I’d rather they use the space and money for something better.

And I’m still not confident that they can do a hyper justice without compromise.

Think I’ve failed your ‘challenge,’ if you read back beyond a page or 2 you’ll see I’ve hardly hidden these feelings 🙈😂

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've been following this thread with great interest, and having delved into learning NoLimits 2 over the past months, I've been eager to use those skills for something interesting. So inspired by @CrashCoaster's joke about a shorter, Skyrush-esque B&M hyper for Thorpe - along with other posts in this thread - I've taken on the challenge of fitting such a coaster into the Loggers Leap/Old Town footprint (with the station/brake run in Slammer's plot). For good measure, this layout nabs the 'tallest in the UK' record at 218 feet/66 meters tall, reaches speeds of 77mph/124kmh, and is 4370 feet/1332 meters long. Here's the result:

And here's how it fits into Thorpe (blue arrows signify direction of travel):
unknown.png

I know it's not precisely B&M's style, as this layout is a bit more aggressive and twisted than their usual hypers, but my goal was to test if fitting a hyper in Old Town/Loggers Leap's plot was theoretically possible: bottom line, it definitely is. I've really enjoyed all this ongoing speculation and rumors so far, so hopefully I've managed to contribute something decent here.
Looks great, a clever use of the space… And that turnaround looks incredible.

It is exactly what I (and others?) meant by a ‘twisty’ layout.

Though I do think it will ride very different to a classic, I’m not entirely fearful it will be ‘worse.’ As it does look to have plenty of floater but with other forces / elements mixed in.

Does NL2 still allow you to show the forces throughout the ride?

Dan?

Roller Poster
If you’re going to quote me, don’t cut off the part that doesn’t fit with your agenda! 🙄

I absolutely do want a hyper, IF it can be done in a way that makes it as good as Shambhala or close… If it’s going to be a second rate hyper, I’d rather they use the space and money for something better.
Has to be said, I'd much rather a second rate hyper than the alternative... I've only ever heard horror stories about RMC operations, and as it stands I think their layouts are quite overrated, barring a couple of examples. I'm more than ready to be proven wrong on both counts, though!
Does NL2 still allow you to show the forces throughout the ride?
Yep, it does. F2.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Has to be said, I'd much rather a second rate hyper than the alternative... I've only ever heard horror stories about RMC operations, and as it stands I think their layouts are quite overrated, barring a couple of examples. I'm more than ready to be proven wrong on both counts, though!

Yep, it does. F2.
There are far more alternatives than an RMC (though an RMC would in fairness be my favourite alternative.) Intamin hypers for example, would be a preference for me, over ANY B&M hyper... I'd even prefer a good Intamin Blitz to a second rate B&M... Hell, look at my top 10, I'd even prefer a Mack Extreme Spinner... But you'll also see Shambhala in there... If it's anything close to Shammy it will be amazing!!! If it's more Silver Star, it will be just 'ok' imo, and that will be a shame. Don't get me wrong, I know I sound really spoilt and entitled here, and I'm sure I'll still love it, may even still make my UK number 1 after all this negativity. But it will just be a huge shame, given the possibilities available.

Also not sure where you've 'heard' that about RMC, but the ones I've experienced have had very quick operations, and have been extremely reliable... I've never seen one down myself to this day!!! Sure it happens, I did hear that untamed was down for a few days in opening year... But I haven't personally experienced anything but constant fast operation. (Unless we include waiting for the public to reach the back of the park so a full train can be sent at EL!!! 🙈🤣.) I think operations wise, it's more down to the park, the same as for any coaster... We shouldn't ever be waiting 45 minutes for Oblivion with it's theoretical throughput, but we do, recently it's been regularly too, and we will continue to whilst Merlin operate it the way they do. (Without using station 2)

Does F2 bring up the spikey things? or does it show a meter during POV? Would be nice to see a meter during POV as the spikey things are hard to read in screen shots if I remember correctly.

Anyway 7 days to go until we find out I guess... There's no way that the rumoured consultation on the 9th isn't leaking if true!!!