What's new

Site Layout | Random

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You're giving me PTSD right now.

I hate the backgrounds. It took me ages to get the coding in place to have them work, but they still don't work properly.

There's a "difference of opinion" on how the CSS for the backgrounds is interpreted by browsers. So on Firefox, they shrink and grow, but on Chrome, it's a single full-screen image all the time.

I spent about a week trying all kinds of different code, rewriting, rearranging, different parameters, etc. Then read up about the particular CSS and foun dout that it's not standard and browsers do what they like.

Anyway, PMBO for me :D

Will

Strata Poster
It's been there for so long, I'd stopped noticing it - but had to change PMBO to what I'm assuming is Blue Fire as soon as this topic drew attention to it!!

I think the colour scheme is Hyperion, and that is by choice.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You're giving me PTSD right now.

I hate the backgrounds. It took me ages to get the coding in place to have them work, but they still don't work properly.

There's a "difference of opinion" on how the CSS for the backgrounds is interpreted by browsers. So on Firefox, they shrink and grow, but on Chrome, it's a single full-screen image all the time.

I spent about a week trying all kinds of different code, rewriting, rearranging, different parameters, etc. Then read up about the particular CSS and foun dout that it's not standard and browsers do what they like.

Anyway, PMBO for me :D
Can you not just use JS to detect the browser and execute the relevant code based on the output?

In fact I think you can do that within CSS itself these days, but I’m rusty and out of date so unsure… 100% Positive it can (or at least could) be done with JS though.

Having said that, it’s really not worth the effort, works just fine, and if it bugs anybody, you have the flat colour backgrounds :)

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
I think I'm using the default color and the Fury 325 background. Works good for me as I have Fury 325 as the wallpaper on my computers as well.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Genuinely surprised you've all got pictures as backgrounds! I find it such a cluttered browsing experience if I do that.

I've got the light grey background, with the Naked Steel colour.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Can you not just use JS to detect the browser and execute the relevant code based on the output?

In fact I think you can do that within CSS itself these days, but I’m rusty and out of date so unsure… 100% Positive it can (or at least could) be done with JS though.

Having said that, it’s really not worth the effort, works just fine, and if it bugs anybody, you have the flat colour backgrounds :)
It's the actual CSS code that is the issue. That's no alternative CSS depending on the browser.

I can't remember the exact code, but it's like if you wanted to left align, you would use "left". Chrome left aligns, but Firefox does a silly little song about pixies and goblins before putting it to the right.

It's a scaling/full screen code. Chrome scales the image to the physical browser display size (so you always see the whole image). Firefox scales to the data on the web page. On the forums, if the topic is one post long, it's fine. If it's 6,000 lines long, the image stretches for all the scrollable amount.

I could start doing browser checks and just have Firefox forced to a specific image resolution, but then you lose screen scaling compatibility on things like mobiles. It's not worth it, as it would still be borked 😀

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's the actual CSS code that is the issue. That's no alternative CSS depending on the browser.

I can't remember the exact code, but it's like if you wanted to left align, you would use "left". Chrome left aligns, but Firefox does a silly little song about pixies and goblins before putting it to the right.

It's a scaling/full screen code. Chrome scales the image to the physical browser display size (so you always see the whole image). Firefox scales to the data on the web page. On the forums, if the topic is one post long, it's fine. If it's 6,000 lines long, the image stretches for all the scrollable amount.

I could start doing browser checks and just have Firefox forced to a specific image resolution, but then you lose screen scaling compatibility on things like mobiles. It's not worth it, as it would still be borked 😀
Like I said, I’m very rusty, but it sounds like you want the image to scale to the window size and stay stationary in the background whilst the user scrolls. With the stationary part being the most important attribute. There used to be a separate attribute to force this stationary when scrolling behaviour… I think (though I’m not sure!) the attributes to force a scalable image that sits stationary when scrolling were something like this…

Code:
  width: 100%;
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;

Edited to add: P.s, that could be like 7 years out of date 🙈😂 That’s how rusty I am…

Last edited:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, that looks like the code. Firefox doesn't parse it like that. It determines the entire scrollable page on the forums as absolute, not the browser window size.

It works fine for most sites, it's just forums, because of the way they stretch and contact dynamically depending on the content. I may just be the way or forums format to be honest, but Firefox is the culprit.

Not a major issue, most people use a firm of Chrome :)

I'll bet @zen really regrets opening this can of worms now 😆

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yep, that looks like the code. Firefox doesn't parse it like that. It determines the entire scrollable page on the forums as absolute, not the browser window size.

It works fine for most sites, it's just forums, because of the way they stretch and contact dynamically depending on the content. I may just be the way or forums format to be honest, but Firefox is the culprit.

Not a major issue, most people use a firm of Chrome :)

I'll bet @zen really regrets opening this can of worms now 😆
Yep, if anybody is still using firefox… They deserve every quirk they get 🙈😂😂😂

Chrome on Windows (or a chromium based browser) and safari on Apple. 👍 Even Microsoft have seen the light!!!

Rupert

Mega Poster
It’s never been a big enough issue for me to post about it, but now this thread exists :D - every few weeks my background choice resets itself and I end up PMBO. I wouldn’t mind so much but it’s potentially the worst coaster in Europe😛

Any idea what’s causing the reset? I’m not changing cookies or anything.

Otherwise going back to the main point of the thread - I have TTD as background with the RMC red.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Fury and Hyperion - and recent weaks on the Edge browser seem to have fixed the scaling issue @furie !

Will

Strata Poster
It’s never been a big enough issue for me to post about it, but now this thread exists :D - every few weeks my background choice resets itself and I end up PMBO. I wouldn’t mind so much but it’s potentially the worst coaster in Europe😛
...I admit I'd see the funny side if everyone's background now suddenly changed to a hi-res version of this, purely for troll purposes...

1636397116889.jpeg