What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Future Predictions

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Maybe, but being listed does not necessarily guarantee its future, safety will always come first. And if it can't be used as a coaster as it is because of safety concerns, and it can't be altered enough to make it safe due to it being listed, well... then what? It can't just sit there, taking up space forever more as an unusable structure.
My old secondary school was a grade 2 listed building, but they wanted to build some new houses there, so they rather conveniently 'found' some asbestos in the roof and boom! Listed status overturned, 'Elf and Safety see, and the bulldozers were on site before the ink dried.
If PB want to get rid of the Nash, they will.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Maybe, but being listed does not necessarily guarantee its future, safety will always come first. And if it can't be used as a coaster as it is because of safety concerns, and it can't be altered enough to make it safe due to it being listed, well... then what? It can't just sit there, taking up space forever more as an unusable structure.
My old secondary school was a grade 2 listed building, but they wanted to build some new houses there, so they rather conveniently 'found' some asbestos in the roof and boom! Listed status overturned, 'Elf and Safety see, and the bulldozers were on site before the ink dried.
If PB want to get rid of the Nash, they will.
Or they'll just run a chainsaw through it and make up any excuse they like to pacify the council. Not like they'll bother making them rebuild it.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I feel like I'm the only person here who's cautiously optimistic about this ride's future. Everywhere there's this impending sense of doom and gloom like "they will destroy it over the season without warning just like the Mouse", not just here.

Does BPB really have that bad of a reputation with closing rides? If they don't reopen this thing I don't think anyone will be happy at all. It doesn't feel like a Mouse situation where there are actual genuine concerns about its safety, I'm convinced they'll get this back open next year.

Will

Strata Poster
If it comes back in is current guise I for one couldn't care less. Its an awful ride that needs drastic work to make it rideable. This is a shame as recall it being wonderful 20 years ago.
I'm actually glad somebody else had the balls to say this - sadly, I didn't ride it pre 2005, so I've never especially enjoyed it!

That said, I'm also glad to hear it's going nowhere - while I may not enjoy the ride myself, it has countless fans and a very real place in UK coaster history (and, on past record, it would take them 24 years to replace it with anything other than a fountain!)

rob666

Hyper Poster
Yeah, no.

It's about a £3K fine or something if you destroy something that's listed. There's no actual deterrent, other than the bad publicity.
Er...two years in prison and an unlimited fine...depending on how blatantly naughty your staff have been with the petrol and matches.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I do wonder actually, what do you all think could be the next major project at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, where will it be located and when will it be?

Would love all of your predictions...

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
I do wonder actually, what do you all think could be the next major project at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, where will it be located and when will it be?

Would love all of your predictions...
I feel like it'll be something smaller and lower budget than Icon. I feel like Icon, to them, was sort of "top level" of what they could install.
I think a big wheel as per the trademark/rumours.

Further down the line probably a Mack Big Dipper. I'd love them to install an RMC raptor.

Sandman

Giga Poster
BPB could/should really switch it up and focus on some distinctive, high capacity flat rides over the next several years.
If they keep on top of maintenance and re-track work on the old woodies and dark rides then I think it'd be alright for them to go a while without another cred.
Icon probably took a lot out of them financially, plus who knows how much has been spent on Valhalla.

Obviously I'd love a new cred and think they should take delight in ripping out Steeplechase and the puzzle maze to make room for 'something' reasonable. Maybe even work it into the old Space Invader building too. Don't think that'll be happening anytime soon though.