What's new

Efteling Expansion + New Coaster

toofpikk

Mega Poster
These sorts of planning decisions are (usually) just as hard to revoke as they are to gain, so this will put Efteling on a great path for the future. Like you say, it's not likely (although I'm hoping I'm wrong here) that we'll see plans for a new coaster published immediately with an opening in 2022, but this will give Efteling precedent to expand the park, and that's great news.

unsure of how it works in Holland specifically, but applications can (and often do) expire if work isn't started on them. Of course this is often quite a big chunk of time, say 10 years or so, so I really wouldn't worry too much, nonetheless it may well have an expiry if it's not acted upon.

JochemvdMeulen

Roller Poster
unsure of how it works in Holland specifically, but applications can (and often do) expire if work isn't started on them. Of course this is often quite a big chunk of time, say 10 years or so, so I really wouldn't worry too much, nonetheless it may well have an expiry if it's not acted upon.
I think your confusing permits and zoning.

What has happened today is that a new zoning plan has been accepted.
Ether way both don't expire in the Netherlands.

However building permits can be revoked if the applicant hasn't used the permit 6 months after it has been granted.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Catching this before someone says - not going to move this topic for a small bit of construction. The coaster will get it's own thread when that is underway, but until then this topic is all we'll have. :)

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Let's not beat around the bush: Monsieur Cannibale was racist. And I'm glad it's getting rethemed.

I think you are right, although I never really took attention to the theming. Actually I always stayed away from this attraction because that stupid song they used to play in repeat mode caused a pretty annoying ear worm. ;) ...and also because spinning teacups are not exactly my cup of tea... In any case, good move to retheme it!

And sorry for proceeding off-topic here.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Looopings have released some original concept arts for the long planned circus coaster; these are at least 5 years old and now outdated as the project developed over time.

The expansion of the park including this new area and coaster was first officially mentioned in 2018. The situation with Bob, it's removal and replacement then took priority for 2020 pushing "Grand Circus Balancé" to 2021.
Efteling were confident the State Council would approve the expansion zoning plans however were surprised when it was rejected due noise and traffic complaints. A planned press release with concepts announcing the new coaster was cancelled when the news broke.

Eventually 2021 the expansion was finally approved - but the ride was not announced. Efteling stated the impact of corona meant the money wasn't there for such a major investment. Safer investments like Danse Macabre and Grand Efteling Hotel for 2024 within the park would take priority.

What the future holds for Grand Circus Balancé is unknown. Whether it will still come one day in some form; be it similar to this or dramatically changed remains to be seen.

0107ditisclownerijschat1.jpg

The new area centrepiece would be a 35m tall circus tent. The rollercoaster would invoke a historic/nostalgic time with white supports faking an old wooden coaster.

0107ditisclownerijschat6.jpg

Believed to be from Intamin; this family launch coaster would have a long layout and a trick track element called a Teeter Totter - tilting the train and rotating it (simulating a balancing act in the circus) before releasing into a short backwards section.
Top speed of 65km/h, 5 trains and a theoretical capacity of 1,800 guests per hour.

0107ditisclownerijschat12.jpg

0107ditisclownerijschat4.jpg

0107ditisclownerijschat3.jpg

0109foralockdown1.jpg

The circus tent would also have stands for non-riders to view the "balancing act" of the show and a gastro offering.

The area could've featured some flat rides too. The entrance would have been through/under the coaster's outdoor lift hill.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
Even though I'm confident the Efteling team would've done this brilliantly, I can't help but feel that it's not the right theme to go for with such a big expansion. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like circuses aren't all that relevant to the younger generation anymore. I'm 22 and I've never seen the inside of a circus tent, and I must say I also don't really feel like it's something that I still need to tick of my bucketlist or anything. None of my friends or family have ever been either, as far as I know at least.
One thing I've noticed over the last decade (in western Europe anyway) with circuses is that they had to change quite a bit with updated restrictions on keeping bigger animals like elephants, lions, etc. I can't help but feel like the current generation of kids might be the last one to have the opportunity to experience a 'classic' circus, so I'm not too confident this theme could work well in 25 years. It's an entire themed area we're talking about here, not just a coaster that can easily be rethemed.
As I said I'm sure the Efteling would make this into a stunning and spectacular area, but maybe a different theme would be more fitting. Still very exciting to see all these detailed drawings of this somewhat mysterious project!

Last edited:

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Even though I'm confident the Efteling team would've done this brilliantly, I can't help but feel that it's not the right theme to go for with such a big expansion. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like circuses aren't all that relevant to the younger generation anymore. I'm 22 and I've never seen the inside of a circus tent, and I must say I also don't really feel like it's something that I still need to tick of my bucketlist or anything. None of my friends or family have ever been either, as far as I know at least.
One thing I've noticed over the last decade (in western Europe anyway) with circuses is that they had to change quite a bit with updated restrictions on keeping bigger animals like elephants, lions, etc. I can't help but feel like the current generation of kids might be the last one to have the opportunity to experience a 'classic' circus, so I'm not too confident this theme could work well in 25 years. It's an entire themed area we're talking about here, not just a coaster that can easily be rethemed.
As I said I'm sure the Efteling would make this into a stunning and spectacular area, but maybe a different theme would be more fitting. Still very exciting to see all these detailed drawings of this somewhat mysterious project!
I see you point, but on the other hand, you could equally well argue that being more and more rare would actually make it more interesting. Consider, for instance, the theme of Baron 1898. Have you ever seen an active mineshaft? Don't know which argument would hit in the end, but I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily indicate it's not interesting in 25 years from now.

Though, I must admit, I was not particularly hyped up by the theme either when I first heard about it. But I guess that's part of Efteling's originality. They think a bit out-of-the box instead of following current trends too closely. That's what makes them stand out. And what they did here looks pretty nice. However, I guess there are reasons they postponed or canceled it in favor of the other investments.

misstech

Roller Poster
This theming appeals to me so much! I love seeing these family launch coasters crop up as it gives great opportunities for moar theming

I visited Efteling for the first time this weekend and it seems really in keeping with their vibes. I especially love that train design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The idea and concept sounds really cool. I especially like the idea of styling the supports to look like a wooden coaster set up.

The tilt track, though, sounds like it would very much be something which looks cool, but wouldn't be a particularly noteworthy ride element. I just imagine it being a bit cumbersome and non-eventful from a ride perspective. Maybe that's just how it's been described and it would be better in reality, but yeah, just doesn't wow me as an actual element.

Last edited:

bratcurry

Mega Poster
One must think that putting up a white steel structure imitating a wooden coaster support structure would be wasting a lot of money. Steel is one of the most expensive parts of a coaster and having a lot more than needed seems counterintuitive.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I see you point, but on the other hand, you could equally well argue that being more and more rare would actually make it more interesting. Consider, for instance, the theme of Baron 1898. Have you ever seen an active mineshaft? Don't know which argument would hit in the end, but I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily indicate it's not interesting in 25 years from now.
Yup, those are very fair points. Didn't mean to imply I think it would be a bad theme, I'm just mildly sceptical if this is the right theme for such an important attraction for the park. It REALLY lacks a launch coaster, preferably a family oriented one so this one needs to be a home run.

The thing with Baron 1898 is that besides the local history in the Dutch mining industry, the Efteling have also created their own story around the attraction. I think the lack of such a story with Grand Circus Balancé as of now makes it a lot less intriguing for me. If there was a storyline with a bit more to it than just "the circus master invites you to come see his daring balancing act!", then the whole theme would probably be a bit more appealing to me. Still, these drawings look absolutely fabulous and it's cool to see some more details about this project after so long.

Peet

Giga Poster
Well The Greatest Showman was an absolute smash hit with a similar-ish theme so I'm sure if they did this well they could make it popular.

By the way, did everyone clock that the see-saw rotates as it rocks? It's a gimmick for sure but a pretty impressive one.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
andddd cancelled

The plans for the spectacular new roller coaster Grand Circus Balancé are definitely canceled. Various parties involved report this to Looopings. Last week, a large number of designs leaked from the project, which should have been realized years ago. Until now, its status has been a big question mark.

A majority of Efteling fans responded enthusiastically. It has now become clear that Efteling will not build the circus roller coaster, not even in the future. Due to concerns about sustainability, the project has ended up in the trash, insiders confirm. Like many companies, the amusement park in Kaatsheuvel is currently struggling with an energy crisis and a nitrogen crisis.

In light of this, Efteling does not consider building the gigantic rollercoaster feasible. Efteling designers have, as it were, been sent back to the drawing board by the management. There they start again with a blank sheet of paper. The Efteling management is again keeping all options open for the planned expansion on the east side of the park.

Looopings has asked a spokesperson for Efteling for comment, but he does not want to comment on the content of the message. The reason: the project was never officially announced, so to the outside world Grand Circus Balancé theoretically never existed. Therefore, it is not openly communicated about it.

The project has taken on different forms over the years. Versions were also devised in which the Reizenrijk part of the park was given its own train station and in which the Efteling Hotel became part of the circus theme. In addition, adding a few small attractions around the tent, such as a Ferris wheel and carousels, was one of the options.

Efteling still works with Intamin today: the company from Liechtenstein is the supplier of Danse Macabre, the replacement for the Spookslot. That will be the next major attraction that Efteling will deliver. What the park has in store after 2024 is no longer certain at the moment.

cookie

Giga Poster
Efteling’s park president claims in an interview that permission has been granted for construction in the eastern area of the park where Circus Balancé was supposed to go, and the park now plans to open their ”tallest ride” ever in time for the park’s 75th anniversary in 2027. The park is also trying to acquire new height wavers in order to expand on the western edge of the park where an overflow parking lot currently sits, but movement on that isn’t expected until 2030 or later.