What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

tynemouthsurfer

Roller Poster
I see Flamingoland have made local news for all the wrong reasons - not great for them that these stories are now the first things that come up if you search for the park...

I was there this week - not the bank holiday Monday albeit, and didnt have any issues with queues for toilets, dirt and queues for rides were not that bad (25 mins for Velocity?).

With regard to queues though- not many respecting social distancing. The mask wearing - next to no one was in the few indoor areas. I must admit I couldn't care less but try and not go too close to the people in front of me. I also love the people who queue in a mask but essentially stand on top of you...

I imagine for some people the close proximity/lack of masks might cause a lot of anxiety. I think if you are genuinely worried about COVID - perhaps continue to stay home?

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
They need to learn from Disney
A quote from the article. This kind-of thing really makes me laugh, they tout Disney to be some sort of perfect park that is not at all overpriced or overcrowded when it is probably the worst offender.. I've only felt overcrowding at parks a few times, and every offender was a Disney Park..

When it comes to Flamingo Land. I think this article really is just this bloke being a little naive. It was half term, a very sunny half term as well, one of the first breaks the kids have had since Lockdown easing. It was always going to busy, even with capacity being lowered. Honestly i guess fair play to him getting a crummy sun article. I do think people are just using covid as an extra tool to slam businesses. The same thing that happens here happens at a lot of parks right now, I've seen it at Thorpe all the time. The parks cannot enforce everything everywhere all the time. And sadly, the park do like to turn a profit sometimes which means half term may be busy.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I see Flamingoland have made local news for all the wrong reasons - not great for them that these stories are now the first things that come up if you search for the park...

A park busy in a school holiday? when it's just about the first chance many people will have had to go out for about 12 months, and when forrun holidays are out of the question? Never!

Tune in next week when we discover that the sea is wet and salty!

Matt N

CF Legend
Following an apparent change in group guidance allowing all rows to be filled on roller coasters, and all seats to be filled on OTSR coasters, Alton Towers is doing a week-long trial on Wicker Man, Thirteen, Runaway Mine Train & The Smiler to test greater capacity on these rides:
Great news! The effect on queues is already palpable, with Wicker Man having not exceeded 45 minutes all day and Thirteen having stayed at one hour or below, so hopefully the change goes down well and can be extended to other rides!

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Ah, this explains why Blackpool were filling all rows yesterday.

That said, I was very much not impressed with the social distancing and mask enforcement, not at all. We also got evacuated from Coasters Restaurant due to a fire alarm just as we were finishing our food which was of course swiftly stolen by the gulls.

Good day for rides though, we did everything we wanted to do multiple times.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Following an apparent change in group guidance allowing all rows to be filled on roller coasters, and all seats to be filled on OTSR coasters, Alton Towers is doing a week-long trial on Wicker Man, Thirteen, Runaway Mine Train & The Smiler to test greater capacity on these rides:
Sorry, a what? A week long trial of how their normal operations work? Nice one. :D

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry, a what? A week long trial of how their normal operations work? Nice one. :D
I think it’s a trial to see the effect on queue times, and how guests respond to the decreased level of distancing; will guests complain about safety being compromised, or will they compliment the decreased queue times?

tynemouthsurfer

Roller Poster
I think it’s a trial to see the effect on queue times, and how guests respond to the decreased level of distancing; will guests complain about safety being compromised, or will they compliment the decreased queue times?
I'm pretty confident guests will be happy with this edging closer to normal - if you are worried about feeling safe from COVID then I'm not sure why you would be at a theme park.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm pretty confident guests will be happy with this edging closer to normal - if you are worried about feeling safe from COVID then I'm not sure why you would be at a theme park.
Yeah and if you've been to any parks, or indeed just... outside, you'll see no one really gives a **** anymore.

Any efforts they do make are basically lip-service.

bmac

Giga Poster
Yeah and if you've been to any parks, or indeed just... outside, you'll see no one really gives a **** anymore.

Any efforts they do make are basically lip-service.

Especially now that the CDC has said you don't need to wear a mask if you've been vaxx'd. Parks will actively tell their employees just to assume that a person has gotten their stab(s) if they're not wearing a mask now, at this point the liability is not on them anymore.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Forgive the bump but this seems like the most appropriate place to post.

It seems that I’ve caught a case of the dreaded ‘ronas from being at Blackpool Pleasure Beach at the weekend (Sat/Sun). I can’t be sure of course, but in the absence of being amongst any other gatherings… my trip there is the prime suspect.

Fortunately, my symptoms seem mild (being blessed with one jab). It was only by chance that I picked it up with a lateral flow test that I just did to be ultra prudent.

Bottom line: please do continue to be vigilant against the virus during your travels. It may be wise to do lateral flow tests a couple of days after your travels to pick up any ‘mild symptom’ infections.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Forgive the bump but this seems like the most appropriate place to post.

It seems that I’ve caught a case of the dreaded ‘ronas from being at Blackpool Pleasure Beach at the weekend (Sat/Sun). I can’t be sure of course, but in the absence of being amongst any other gatherings… my trip there is the prime suspect.

Fortunately, my symptoms seem mild (being blessed with one jab). It was only by chance that I picked it up with a lateral flow test that I just did to be ultra prudent.

Bottom line: please do continue to be vigilant against the virus during your travels. It may be wise to do lateral flow tests a couple of days after your travels to pick up any ‘mild symptom’ infections.
Good Luck pal... I had next to no symptoms, missus started with none but was in a terrible way after a few days (Asthma)

On the plus side, you'll have triple immunity by the time you have had both dose... Natural immunity and double jabbed ;)

I have been doing LFT every 3 or 4 days... For the Euro Semi Final at Wembley I did lateral flow tests every day for a few days before and a week after, despite having had both doses.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Good Luck pal... I had next to no symptoms, missus started with none but was in a terrible way after a few days (Asthma)

On the plus side, you'll have triple immunity by the time you have had both dose... Natural immunity and double jabbed ;)

I have been doing LFT every 3 or 4 days... For the Euro Semi Final at Wembley I did lateral flow tests every day for a few days before and a week after, despite having had both doses.
Thanks. Must say I do feel pretty grotty now! 😰

emoo

Hyper Poster
In more promising news, finally a useful country or 2 are being added to the green list. Germany. Huh. Maybe I'll just fly on over there. What a novelty :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Soooo I had my booster yesterday…

Just as we broke records for the highest cases in a single day, and newspapers start reporting ‘lockdowns by Christmas.’

I swear, if he locks us all down instead of just limiting the mixing of the unvaccinated as they have everywhere else, It’ll be infuriating!!! I’m not in support of ‘covid passports’ as such, but they’re surely a much fairer option than punishing those who’ve done the right thing… Plus they seem to have worked well in Austria and elsewhere.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
My booster is today. They had vaccine passports in Copenhagen when we went for Christmas Tivoli and honestly, it works. We felt really safe in every attraction we visited, even when Tivoli started to get really busy.

Honestly, if you're still unvaccinated at this point, thats on you.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'm no conspiracy theorist, nor anti-vax, but vaccine passports are particularly worrying to me.

Whilst Nadhim Zahwani MP was publicly denying that the government would ever implement covid passes, the government issued 8 separate contracts to develop them.

There has still been categorically no evidence from any country using them that they are effective. Functionality of the covid pass already shows use of completely unrelated data including lifestyle/social data, ethnic origin, criminal convictions, genetic details etc. Literally nothing related to vaccination status. Why?

Sajid Javid says there's no way mandatory vaccination will be a thing across the UK, but judging by the governments track record, they will be sheepishly u-turning on that in the near future.