What's new

Rank the GCIs

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Thunderhead - Dollywood - I'm a sucker for my first GCI love. I remember this one blowing me away when I first rode it back in 2008; the swift layout, aggressive transitions, station fly-through were all foreign versus the Dinn Corp./CCI/PTC I had ridden to that point. And the roller coaster has held up over the years, giving a slightly rougher, but same aggressive ride experience. Beyond the ride, it's setting (along with the rest of Dollywood) in the heart of the Smokies has always made it one of the most gorgeous roller coaster settings out there.
a2d201124a9c4c130cf3ab2ab2688c50.jpg

2. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island - I have been eating crow throughout 2017 on this remarkably good GCI. I will admit; I was jaded by a middle-of-the-road experience on Prowler and doubts over the hype train Kings Island was rolling for this opening (not to mention, being right next door to one of the most prolific wooden coasters in existence). But hey! It turned out to be a really good ride! Day or night, front or back, Mystic Timbers offers an airtime-filled layout that (gratefully) focused on a more out-and-back design versus the side-to-side twister layout of Prowler. Airtime moments are frequent and full, and there's even some trick track peppered in. And let's be honest: did you actually expect the Shed to be good?

3. Apocalypse the Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain - This is the most underrated GCI in my estimation. A layout that harkens in many ways to Thunderhead, Apocalypse features great twister elements and aggressive pace-change. The under-structure moments, tunnels, and station fly-through gives some great close call moments as well. I have really enjoyed getting to ride this not-so-talked about number.

4. American Thunder - Six Flags St. Louis - Similar to Apocalypse, American Thunder does not get nearly enough praise that it deserves. I really enjoyed this compact layout for packing in both large sweeping turns and smaller bunny hills.

5. Lightning Racer - Hersheypark - Undoubtedly my favorite dueler to date - how can you not enjoy the layout on this one? Very fun, large layout with cool train fly-bys.

6. Prowler - Worlds of Fun - I think I hyped myself up too much for this one, and was left wanting more. Riding Mystic Timbers has helped me better frame it's older, smaller brother. The airtime moments and transitions are good... but are just not as much as Mystic Timbers.

This is the general line I would draw between the good and the Meh of GCI. Seriously, they make a lot of good design, and even their lackluster coasters are still fun to ride.

7. Roar - Six Flags America - I was pleasantly surprised by the front row ride on this one. I can see the slow/meandering pace criticism it gets. But riding in the front, you do get bouts of airtime throughout it's larger, drawn out layout. The Roars are what put GCI more on the map, but they are nowhere near as aggressive as their subsequent design.

8. Wildcat - Hersheypark - the coaster that sparked it all, but still is a slower, meandering design versus the rest. Glad they updated it with the Millennium Flyer trains though.
To update with some new rides:
1. Thunderhead - Dollywood - I'm a sucker for my first GCI love. I remember this one blowing me away when I first rode it back in 2008; the swift layout, aggressive transitions, station fly-through were all foreign versus the Dinn Corp./CCI/PTC I had ridden to that point. And the roller coaster has held up over the years, giving a slightly rougher, but same aggressive ride experience. Beyond the ride, it's setting (along with the rest of Dollywood) in the heart of the Smokies has always made it one of the most gorgeous roller coaster settings out there.

2. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island - I have been eating crow throughout 2017 on this remarkably good GCI. I will admit; I was jaded by a middle-of-the-road experience on Prowler and doubts over the hype train Kings Island was rolling for this opening (not to mention, being right next door to one of the most prolific wooden coasters in existence). But hey! It turned out to be a really good ride! Day or night, front or back, Mystic Timbers offers an airtime-filled layout that (gratefully) focused on a more out-and-back design versus the side-to-side twister layout of Prowler. Airtime moments are frequent and full, and there's even some trick track peppered in. And let's be honest: did you actually expect the Shed to be good?

3. Apocalypse the Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain - This is the most underrated GCI in my estimation. A layout that harkens in many ways to Thunderhead, Apocalypse features great twister elements and aggressive pace-change. The under-structure moments, tunnels, and station fly-through gives some great close call moments as well. I have really enjoyed getting to ride this not-so-talked about number.

4. American Thunder - Six Flags St. Louis - Similar to Apocalypse, American Thunder does not get nearly enough praise that it deserves. I really enjoyed this compact layout for packing in both large sweeping turns and smaller bunny hills.

5. Lightning Racer - Hersheypark - Undoubtedly my favorite dueler to date - how can you not enjoy the layout on this one? Very fun, large layout with cool train fly-bys.

6. Prowler - Worlds of Fun - I think I hyped myself up too much for this one, and was left wanting more. Riding Mystic Timbers has helped me better frame it's older, smaller brother. The airtime moments and transitions are good... but are just not as much as Mystic Timbers.

7. White Lightning - Fun Spot Orlando - A roller coaster that I was very excited to ride given it's tight footprint and picturesque wrapping around the park... it was a pretty rough ride. Granted, I think this is partly the fault of riding it without a fully-loaded train, and the coaster having short trains at that; but the trains had a good deal of shuffle that knocked it down a peg or two during my ride.

This is the general line I would draw between the good and the Meh of GCI. Seriously, they make a lot of good design, and even their lackluster coasters are still fun to ride.

8. Roar - Six Flags America - I was pleasantly surprised by the front row ride on this one. I can see the slow/meandering pace criticism it gets. But riding in the front, you do get bouts of airtime throughout it's larger, drawn out layout. The Roars are what put GCI more on the map, but they are nowhere near as aggressive as their subsequent design.

9. InvadR - Busch Gardens Williamsburg - From a kiddie/family coaster perspective, this hits a great stride with a fast-paced layout that doesn't put you too far outside your comfort zone. When compared to other coasters, it is surely tame; but gives a good ride, for what it is, regardless.

10. Wildcat - Hersheypark - the coaster that sparked it all, but still is a slower, meandering design versus the rest. Glad they updated it with the Millennium Flyer trains though.

KJ7500

Roller Poster
I've only ridden two GCIs but here's how I'd rank them
1. Renegade An absolute blast with plenty of airtime and sicker crossovers than Allen Iverson. My friend and I were falling all into each other on the first ride cause we'd lean one way in anticipation and it would throw us to the other side.
Fun from the back seat, front seat and middle of the train. We got in 4 rides on our trip to Valleyfair, including a bonus reride at last call which helped make up for getting stuck on Delirious for 10 minutes. It was really hauling at the end of the night, too.
2. White Lightning Not as intense as Renegade but a more airtime filled layout. I think I can back up what the previous poster hypothesized about it being rougher on empty trains as I rode this in 2017 with full or mostly full trains and didn't find it at all painful. In 2019 I rode WL on almost empty trains and it was considerably more bumpy. Not a terrible ride, but it just didn't have that same reridability. Also, it just wasn't as fun without a train load of eager riders, many of whom were clearly marathoning it. The night-time party atmosphere really made my rides seem more exciting. No, last year one of my two rides was just me and another lone enthusiast who ended up riding the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride with myself and my parents the next day via the single rider line.
It's definitely perfect for that park though, and the lighting package really makes it pop at night. If only there was a way to get everybody off the go karts and on White Lightning.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Only done 3 so far.

1) Troy. - Superb, one of my favourite coasters easily. Superb speed, height, awesome station fly through. I love it. Really warms up during the day. At the back it's mental.
2) Joris en de draak. Great fun and probably the most intense coaster at Efteling, Feels out of control in parts.
3) Wicker Man - It is pretty decent and it just scrapes into my top 3 at Alton Towers. It's not as good as the others I reckon as the height restriction lets it down, also bizarre shaped lift hill I always think and thus is somewhat short. Also shame about the flat turn towards the last part. Without the nonsense height restrictions at Alton Towers this could have beaten the others for me. The theming is stunning I have to say. For the money you would have thought this could have been like Joris and a double racing woodie but I guess the construction costs are so vast at Alton Towers and it is a complex area to build, so this was always out of the question. The park definitely could have done with a racing woodie capacity. Only woodie out of the 3 I've never been able to make up my own mind where to sit. Kind of sad that approach. Pure luck where you sit, even during an ERS/ERT which is crazy.

Last edited:

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Done a good handful:

1. Thunderhead - Absolute masterpiece. One of my all-time favorite layouts, the flow & pacing are excellent. The retracking the park has done has made an insane difference. FLIES through the layout and never lets off till the brakes. Probably my favorite traditional woodie.
2. Mystic Timbers - PACING. Thing keeps its speed incredibly well, no dead spots IMO, great airtime, and is still glass smooth. Can't get enough.
3. Gold Striker - A little rougher than I would like it to be, but still wonderful. Killer layout
4. Wodan - Oddball of the group. Don't really remember it all that well, but it was pretty decent. Wish they could've taken full advantage of the height.
5. American Thunder - An incredible surprise. Essentially a small Thunderhead. One heck of a little ride!
6. Wildcat HP - Never understood the hate for this one. It doesn't necessarily do anything, but it's not bad.
7. Lightning Racer - Never understood the love for this one. Understandably it's focused on the dueling aspect and that lessens the "kickass GCI" aspect that a single track could have. Just very ok.
8. White Lightning - Decent. Serves its purpose. Highlight of this was meeting Schilke in the station.
9. InvadR - Decent as well. Pretty fun, a couple cool moments.

Don't care to rank:

-Roar, SFA. Not worth a review.
-Gwazi. Rode it when I was just getting into coasters and all I know is that it was awful.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
GCIs I’ve ridden so far:

1. Renegade
2. American Thunder
3. Joris en de Draak
4. Mystic Timbers
5. Troy
6. El Toro (Plohn)
7. Lighting Racer
8. Apocalypse
9. Wodan
10. InvadR
11. Thunderhead
12. White Lightning
13. Kentucky Rumbler
14. Wildcat
15. Roar (SFA)

SDaniel

Roller Poster
Joris en de Draak is the only GCI I've ridden and I love it! (I go to the Efteling every year, because it's my favo park and I have young children...)

Cstrcrzy1

Roller Poster
Wow, I've only been on 2 (3 if you count each gwazi side as seperate rides).

3. White Lightning - Smoothest of the ones I've been on (which doesn't say much) and provided some nice airtime but it lacks in intensity despite a fast paced ride. Decent coaster overall and good for families but as a fan of a coasters intensity I was underwhelmed.

2. Gwazi Tiger - The rougher side of Gwazi. It was easy to tell the tiger side was not maintained nearly as much as lion. Fast paced and intense which made up for the rough ride and the near miss elements were always a good whoa moment. If only tiger was kept up better and not closed 95% of the time.

1. Gwazi Lion - Not as rough as Tiger but still not exactly smooth either. Regarding intensity speed and pacing the same as above and the near-miss elements again made it a cool experience. Lionel so felt like the fastest side because it was open more of the time so the trains were always full as compared to less than half full trains on tiger side the rare occasion tiger was even open.

When all this madness comes to an end in the Parks reopen I'm hoping to at least add Thunderhead to my list of wooden coasters before the year is up.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump this thread, but have any CFers been able to ride Texas Stingray this year? Only asking as I’d be very intrigued to know how it compares to some of the other GCIs.

Matt N

CF Legend
I was merely intrigued as to how it rode, as I always thought that it looked like a very strong GCI in the early POVs!

KentuckyCoasterFan

Roller Poster
1 - Mystic Timbers
2 - Gold Striker
3 - American Thunder
4 - Wickerman
5 - Thunderhead
6 - Apocalypse: The Ride
7 - Texas Stingray (Good ride, but ranked low from overhype)
8 - Renegade
9 - White Lightning
10 - Lightning Racer
I have two other GCI credits but I wanted to do a top ten

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
I would like to contribute more to this poll but unfortunately I've ridden Wicker Man however I really enjoy it and I hope to add to my list in the future two years at least!

Hutch

Strata Poster
1. Mystic Timbers - Really the only GCI I've done that's truly excellent. It's the smoothest, has the best airtime and laterals, best pacing, and best setting.

2. Texas Stingray

3. Thunderhead - Has some impressive pacing and length but just suffers being a tad rough. Still pretty intense and has some good airtime. I have heard it's running better though nowadays. Interested in riding again.

4. White Lightning - It had some good moments but it's a bit short and not as wild as it could be.

5. Lightning Racer - The racing is obviously the best thing about this ride, and it does have a couple pops of airtime, but it doesn't offer a whole lot. Couple spots in the beginning are a little rough too.

6. Wildcat - Piece of ****. Surprised it hasn't been RMC'd yet.

So Texas Stingray was pretty good. Perfectly smooth for a woodie, has nice pops of airtime, good length, and a good pace.

But I think it might be a little too smooth for its own good though? It's actually pretty comparable to Mystic Timbers, but lacks the oomph that Timbers has that makes it feel like a good ol' woodie. I dunno, I kinda wanted Stingray to toss me around and kick my ass, and while it has a good pace and decent airtime, everything felt controlled. I was hoping after Timbers that GCI would come out with another banger, but it didn't quite deliver. It is still a really solid ride though.

I do think if Thunderhead was a tad smoother, it'd be #2. That's the kind of ride that gives a classic woodie feel, but from my experience it got a little uncomfortable. Stingray easily nails the number 2 spot though because of the comfort, but honestly it's not a high bar that was set in my opinion.

I dunno, apart from Mystic Timbers, none of the other ones cracked my Top 30. I guess GCI just doesn't really do it for me? I'm much more interested in what Gravity Group are doing. I'd even put all the family GGs above White Lightning. Hell, I'd put Roar-O-Saurus above Stingray.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
1 - Mystic Timbers
2 - Gold Striker
3 - American Thunder
4 - Wickerman
5 - Thunderhead
6 - Apocalypse: The Ride
7 - Texas Stingray (Good ride, but ranked low from overhype)
8 - Renegade
9 - White Lightning
10 - Lightning Racer
I have two other GCI credits but I wanted to do a top ten
I know it’s subjective and all that, but how can Renegade be so low? I’ve ridden nearly all the top GCIs in the US and Europe, and Renegade is my number one.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
1. Mystic Timbers - I'll be eating my words for a long time with Mystic. The ride itself is fantastic. It's fast, intense, and smooth as hell - proof that GCI can still play in the modern industry.
2. Apocalypse - Completely came out of left field. Didn't pay attention to its construction nor did I think it looked exciting. It ended up being excellent, especially with a fresh retrack!
3. Gold Striker - It probably would have been my favorite had it not been so rough. It had all of the directional changes and airtime in the transitions, but the ride seemed much longer than other GCIs.
4. Kentucky Rumbler - I think I got lucky when I rode between rain storms. I bet the ride was running at least 10mph faster than it should have been and it was intense as hell.
5. Lightning Racer - How can one not love it? It's just missing the intensity that more recent GCIs have.
6. American Thunder - Super comfortable ride with plenty of airtime.
7. Prowler - I'll be honest, I don't remember a whole lot from Prowler aside from it being a bit uncomfortable for whatever reason.
8. White Lightning - It's fun, but like Lightning Racer, it just doesn't have the oomph that others have.
9. Roar - Same story as 8.
10. Wildcat - I don't understand the hate that Wildcat receives, but it's pretty meh.
11. Gwazi - Good to see that there's a mutual understanding that Gwazi was terrible.

1. Mystic Timbers
  2. Thunderhead
  3. Texas Stingray
  4. Apocalypse
  5. Gold Striker
  6. Kentucky Rumbler
  7. American Thunder
  8. Prowler
  9. Renegade
  10. White Lightning
  11. Lightning Racer
  12. Roar
  13. InvadR
  14. Wildcat
  15. Gwazi

New additions bolded. Lightning Racer plummeted after my recent visit - Hersheypark has not been maintaining their woodies like they used to.

Matt N

CF Legend
  1. Mystic Timbers
  2. Thunderhead
  3. Texas Stingray
  4. Apocalypse
  5. Gold Striker
  6. Kentucky Rumbler
  7. American Thunder
  8. Prowler
  9. Renegade
  10. White Lightning
  11. Lightning Racer
  12. Roar
  13. InvadR
  14. Wildcat
  15. Gwazi

New additions bolded. Lightning Racer plummeted after my recent visit - Hersheypark has not been maintaining their woodies like they used to.
Wow, Renegade at #9 is surprisingly low given the praise the thing often gets! If you wouldn’t mind elaborating, what was it about it that you didn’t like it as much as the others @Antinos? Also, I was under the impression that many thought of Texas Stingray as a fairly weak GCI, so I’m pleased to see it at #3 in your list, and I’m glad you seemingly loved it!

Sad to hear about Lightning Racer, though; that ride always looked fun, so it’s a shame to hear that the ride seemingly doesn’t ride as well as it used to.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Like what Snoo said elsewhere a bit ago, it's still a great ride - the others above it are simply better. Renegade has good airtime, laterals, and speed, but the others just give a little more. Texas Stingray, on the other hand, has all that, but it's such a long ride that you get off feeling completely satisfied.

Matt N

CF Legend
Like what Snoo said elsewhere a bit ago, it's still a great ride - the others above it are simply better. Renegade has good airtime, laterals, and speed, but the others just give a little more. Texas Stingray, on the other hand, has all that, but it's such a long ride that you get off feeling completely satisfied.
Ah OK; I was only intrigued because Renegade is always ranked so, so highly in GCI lists, whereas I hadn’t heard much about Stingray, and what I had heard was that it was quite weak compared to other GCIs. I’ve only ridden Wicker Man, though, which is widely considered to be one of GCI’s worst rides, so I’m not sure if I’m anywhere near being experienced enough to talk GCIs just yet.

On a side note, I had a look through Captain Coaster’s ranking of GCIs, and I’d be intrigued to know whether we agree with what the site says. So, Captain Coaster’s GCI ranking for June 2021 is as follows:
  1. Wood Coaster at Knight Valley (Score of 96.1%, #33 overall)
  2. Python in Bamboo Forest at Nanchang Wanda Park (Score of 91.0%, #89 overall)
  3. Wodan Timbur Coaster at Europa Park (Score of 90.5%, #96 overall)
  4. Mystic Timbers at Kings Island (Score of 90.3%, #100 overall)
  5. Troy at Toverland (Score of 89.7%, #104 overall)
  6. El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn (Score of 87.0%, #130 overall)
  7. Werewolf at Majaland Kownaty (Score of 86.8%, #134 overall)
  8. Texas Stingray at SeaWorld San Antonio (Score of 85.7%, #149 overall)
  9. Renegade at Valleyfair (Score of 83.2%, #181 overall)
  10. Joris en de Draak (Vuur) at Efteling (Score of 82.5%, #188 overall)
  11. Gold Striker at California’s Great America (Score of 82.3%, #190 overall)
  12. Joris en de Draak (Water) at Efteling (Score of 82.2%, #191 overall)
  13. Heidi the Ride at Plopsaland de Panne (Score of 80.6%, #214 overall)
  14. Thunderhead at Dollywood (Score of 79.9%, #220 overall)
  15. American Thunder at Six Flags St Louis (Score of 79.2%, #226 overall)
  16. Prowler at Worlds of Fun (Score of 79.1%, #227 overall)
  17. White Lightning at Fun Spot Orlando (Score of 78.7%, #230 overall)
  18. Thunderbird at PowerPark (Score of 78.1%, #237 overall)
  19. Wicker Man at Alton Towers (Score of 76.4%, #253 overall)
  20. Lightning Racer (Thunder) at Hersheypark (Score of 73.3%, #278 overall)
  21. Lightning Racer (Lightning) at Hersheypark (Score of 72.8%, #285 overall)
  22. Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend (Score of 72.4%, #289 overall)
  23. Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain (Score of 68.0%, #336 overall)
  24. InvadR at Busch Gardens Williamsburg (Score of 64.5%, #384 overall)
  25. Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Score of 50.4%, #553 overall)
  26. Wildcat at Hersheypark (Score of 42.4%, #654 overall)
  27. Roar at Six Flags America (Score of 40.9%, #679 overall)
  28. Gwazi (Tiger) at Busch Gardens Tampa (Score of 34.4%, #753 overall)
  29. Gwazi (Lion) at Busch Gardens Tampa (Score of 28.6%, #834 overall)
Certainly an interesting list, don’t you think? Some of the placements surprised me, I’ll admit…
EDIT: Here’s the link to the list, if you want to see for yourself in more detail: https://captaincoaster.com/en/ranki...manufacturer]=53&filters[openingDate]=&page=1

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I’d be intrigued to know whether we agree with what the site says
Yes to the top two (although #89 overall for the snake feels pretty criminal), the majority of the rest can be pretty interchangeable depending on when you catch them, as you can tell by the same ride (Wilkolak and White Lightning) being ten GCIs apart.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Another new addition:

1. Mystic Timbers - Really the only GCI I've done that's truly excellent. It's the smoothest, has the best airtime and laterals, best pacing, and best setting.

2. Texas Stingray - Very smooth, long layout, good pace, but it kinda lacks the "wild woodie" feel.

3. Thunderhead - Has some impressive pacing and length but just suffers being a tad rough (though apparently it's in better shape now?). Still pretty intense and has some good airtime.

4. Invadr - It's honestly probably worse than White Lightning, but I guess I was just more impressed with Invadr. It's actually pretty fun in the back and does a good job of what it needs to do.

5. White Lightning - While it's a solid ride, I don't think it delivered quite what I was hoping for.

6. Lightning Racer - The racing is obviously the best thing about this ride, and it does have a couple pops of airtime, but it doesn't offer a whole lot. Couple spots in the beginning are a little rough too.

7. Wildcat - Piece of ****. Surprised it hasn't been RMC'd yet.