What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Walibi Belgium has officialy cancelled Halloween 2020 on Facebook today. However, they also announced some HUGE news coming up soon.
Interesting how that varies between country within the same company. Walibi Holland have been ramping up their Halloween adverts quite a bit this week and even just stated 2 hours ago on Facebook: "A lot is cancelled this year but Walibi Holland's Halloween Fright Nights are going ahead."

Professor

Does anyone else think some of the new rules are getting quite vague now?
Apparently from midnight several towns including Blackpool are forbidding visits to other people's homes and saying that public transport is only there for essential trips so I guess tourists shouldn't use the tram again for example, even though there are still scenic illumination tram tours going ahead (I am guessing).

So it is not a full lockdown but sort of half lockdown I guess.

In the end I think many of these measures are there to deter people from leaving their homes in the first place but not suggesting things should close so that government does not have to pay for closures and any consequences of reduced footfall.

I think it's all getting very messy now along with the curfew and rule of 6 everywhere else already.

Matt N

CF Legend
It would seem that Florida governor Ron DeSantis moved the state onto Phase 3 of its reopening plan yesterday: https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/fl-phase-3-theme-parks-tm1/

The very interesting thing to note, however, is that part of phase 3 says that “theme parks may return to normal operations, with limited social distancing measures”, which I think effectively means that parks don’t have to restrict numbers anymore.

I wonder whether any parks will take up the opportunity to increase capacity?

Professor

The Netherlands might be changing their tune with mask requirements. They are discussing it within the government according to the press.
We could see masks compulsory soon in theme parks and on rides, even though it is very late in the season for most parks already.

At the moment The Netherlands only requires it in some areas of major cities and on public transport.

Professor

Efteling the biggest park in the Netherlands operates the whole year round. Toverland does as well but not with the whole park but mainly its indoor sections. So this decision would still be relevant for theme parks.
Indeed.

Interesting however that Efteling and Toverland have not announced opening times for winter, anything beyond the first week or two in November. They usually do well in advance from what I remember seeing.

The likes of Blackpool Pleasure Beach even has them up for next season already so it's a bit curious, certainly for those already willing to book a winter break. I'm sure they will be open but still weird. Perhaps just a Covid 19 related admin thing.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
Does anyone else think some of the new rules are getting quite vague now?
Apparently from midnight several towns including Blackpool are forbidding visits to other people's homes and saying that public transport is only there for essential trips so I guess tourists shouldn't use the tram again for example, even though there are still scenic illumination tram tours going ahead (I am guessing).

So it is not a full lockdown but sort of half lockdown I guess.

In the end I think many of these measures are there to deter people from leaving their homes in the first place but not suggesting things should close so that government does not have to pay for closures and any consequences of reduced footfall.

I think it's all getting very messy now along with the curfew and rule of 6 everywhere else already.

Muddy messaging and consitant changing of the rules just leads to people disregarding them, as evidenced by the impromptu post 10am street parties we've seen once the pubs close all the house parties ect. They also don't help themselves when they don't even follow their own rules

Back to masks

Ei3bkN0WsAMUcHZ

If there was evidence that masks are effective in reducing viral transmission you would have thought that the WHO would have been aware of them last year.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Did you miss the bit that says "When to Apply: In severe epidemics or pandemics"?

It also provides "mechanistic plausibility" for further spread prevention - when compared to absolutely no chance if you're not wearing a mask.

Reactions: Fi

Professor

Regarding the mask thing and as one demo showed I believe they can possibly help to prevent the spread (since it is a droplet infection isn't it?) when someone sneezes or coughs. Do they do more than tightly coughing or sneezing into an elbow if you are wearing fabric? I personally doubt it. But obviously if you wear a mask you don't have to worry about your and other people's sneeze/cough reflexes at all, which I guess is the main argument that we should wear them in busy / close nit public spaces.

Some "Experts" are suggesting that even with a vaccine some measures will still have to be adhered to such as social distancing and/or masks for some time. I think that is going to be a big blow to certain industries if that is the case.
I really can't see cinemas surviving for example. But maybe people will get used to it. I think the era of the billion dollar movie may well be over regardless, as people are not going to go back willingly sitting shoulder to shoulder for a long time whatever happens.

I think this summer has at least proven theme parks may well be safe which is a good thing for most of us and regarding our hobby I would have thought.
If wearing a mask ensures that survival alone (and beyond the very remote possibility of infecting someone) I think it is worth it.
But who knows maybe science will change its advice regarding masks again.

I think the recommendation to first not wear them due to the lack of PPE when the pandemic took off and then advice to wear them really made people (including myself) skeptical. We will see what is next regarding this or if it will just continue for a long time.

Last edited:

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Regarding the mask thing and as one demo showed I believe they can possibly help to prevent the spread (since it is a droplet infection isn't it?) when someone sneezes or coughs.

This is what needs to be made clearer, because people are sharing images of smoke blowing out of the sides of masks to 'debunk' the 'myth' that masks help stop the spread.

Yes, your breath will come out of the sides, but most droplets that would harbour Covid will be caught by the mask, it's a simple concept that many just don't seem to understand (or want to understand?).

UP87

Mega Poster
Interesting however that Efteling and Toverland have not announced opening times for winter, anything beyond the first week or two in November. They usually do well in advance from what I remember seeing.
True... I didn't see that by now. Efteling doesn't need to announce anything as they are usually just open 365 days a year. The Winter Efteling page is up with dates for this winter. But they seem to play it safes with preventing booking of tickets for after mid november. I think that's the right thing to do. Focus on the next few weeks and then see what will be. The situation can change rather quickly. Especially now as the warm days seem to be over and the flu will join in.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
Did you miss the bit that says "When to Apply: In severe epidemics or pandemics"?

It also provides "mechanistic plausibility" for further spread prevention - when compared to absolutely no chance if you're not wearing a mask.

Yet ther is no evidence of effectiveness, that's the point. There are downsides to wearing a mask that nobody talks about so if there's so little evidence that they work why run the risk with the potential downsides?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yet ther is no evidence of effectiveness, that's the point. There are downsides to wearing a mask that nobody talks about so if there's so little evidence that they work why run the risk with the potential downsides?

Unless I've missed it, you haven't talked about the downsides either.

It's hard to take any point you make seriously when all your points are vague throwaway statements with either no support, or data given without larger context to make a point the data doesn't support.

Not that I'd agree with you anyway because I think the benefits outweigh the downsides. But heyho.

Professor

Don't know why they waited so long. Even on July 4th one could have guessed this would not go ahead.
It doesn't matter I guess as they are constantly booked but good to see the season pass holders given a weekend.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I bet that's partly to try and pacify all the angry pass holders that haven't been able to get in over the last few months. I suppose it's better than nothing but a cold day in November is no substitute for all those days they couldn't get in I'd imagine!

Professor

I bet that's partly to try and pacify all the angry pass holders that haven't been able to get in over the last few months. I suppose it's better than nothing but a cold day in November is no substitute for all those days they couldn't get in I'd imagine!
I was surprised to see almost all the twilight slots go so quickly.
Towers could probably sell out passholder slots and get decent ticket income another 6 weekends November onwards regardless of weather.