What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For the record, yes I think I would count this. That said, on these 'border cases' I do like to see what they feel like to ride - often the best way to tell.

Matt N

CF Legend
Does being down a few days a year really classify it as ‘plagued with issues?’

It’s literally almost always open without skipping a beat on my visits... Almost every other ride in the park has more ‘daily’ downtime.

You been taking posting tips from the Daily Mail? ??
Apparently, someone from TTSP was there yesterday and said that it looked and sounded as if a section of the ride was being rebuilt from scratch (either the first turn leading up to the first wicker man pass through or the final turn within the wicker man structure). A large white tent has been erected around a lower section of track, and construction noises were apparently able to be visibly heard from the surrounding area. I get that ride downtime happens, but it’s not every day that a coaster literally has a section rebuilt from scratch. I wouldn’t call that normal, even for a wooden coaster.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Apparently, someone from TTSP was there yesterday and said that it looked and sounded as if a section of the ride was being rebuilt from scratch (either the first turn leading up to the first wicker man pass through or the final turn within the wicker man structure). A large white tent has been erected around a lower section of track, and construction noises were apparently able to be visibly heard from the surrounding area. I get that ride downtime happens, but it’s not every day that a coaster literally has a section rebuilt from scratch. I wouldn’t call that normal, even for a wooden coaster.
Well first of all, it’s in a tent, and a fairly small one at that, because somebody ‘heard noises’ doesn’t mean it’s being rebuilt. IF it is, it wouldn’t be so unusual to have to rebuild or strengthen a weak point found after construction. Just last year Untamed had to be strengthened on it’s break run only months after opening. :)

Also, I’m a member on TTSP and if you’re talking about Owen’s post, he put an update on saying it was complete by the end of the day, but has some fresh looking track, so at worst looks like a retrack of a very small section not a ‘rebuild’

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Plus surely we should be happy they they're maintaining it and repairing a potential problem? We're all very quick to get on Merlin's back for their lack of care and attention (rightly so in many cases, I'm talking to you In the Night Garden Boat Ride specifically) so they should be applauded for looking after what is a very good ride.

I mean, not really? If there's a problem, it should be fixed. We shouldn't be 'happy' they're maintaining a ride - that's the minimum of what they should do!

I mean, not really? If there's a problem, it should be fixed. We shouldn't be 'happy' they're maintaining a ride - that's the minimum of what they should do!
Well for starters we don't know the extent of the problem. For seconds Merlin are continuously criticised in the community for their lack of maintenance. Why would you not be happy that this is happening? They're resolving a problem, something we always say they don't do enough of.

I mean, I think Wardley's cross-valley woodie is what we were all waiting for, not a mediocre GCI with a bent lift hill...
I think to suggest that Wickerman is mediocre is unfair. It's a good ride, not up there with the likes of Untamed but is certainly the best Woodie in the UK (and yes I know the rest are not pleasant so the bar is pretty low).

Yes it could have been better but it's not mediocre.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Well for starters we don't know the extent of the problem. For seconds Merlin are continuously criticised in the community for their lack of maintenance. Why would you not be happy that this is happening? They're resolving a problem, something we always say they don't do enough of.

If a ride has a problem, there are two options:
1. You don't fix it. If the problem is not serious, the ride remains open until it becomes serious. If the problem is serious and you don't fix it, you close the ride down for good.
2. You fix it.

Way I see it, it's a no brainer!

Matt N

CF Legend
As it turns out, the ride was open again today!

I only reported it because I thought a retrack might be news-worthy, not because I wasn’t happy about Merlin doing the work. I think it’s great that Merlin are identifying potential issues early on and conducting the work while it’s only small; they deserve real praise for their foresight, in my opinion!

It's subjective, though? What's amazing to you might be mediocre to others, and vice versa.
(But for the record, the cross valley woodie would have been better in every regard)
Possibly true but it was also pie in the sky and was never likely to happen. No way any one in the UK was getting permission for that.

I also recall watching a suggested recreation of what it could be like and if I'm honest it looked rather dull.

emoo

Hyper Poster
As features go, I'd rather the cross valley. But hey ho, still excited that it should be open for my first ride. It's fixed and hopefully with a solid solution.