What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

At least in Germany it's quite usual that you don't perform an autopsy on all dead but guess the cause of death. Typically it's not really interesting to find the exact cause of death when you're not suspecting a crime - and as we agreed before in many cases there's not a singular cause of death. For the statistics a simple test for covid would be nice anyway. Especially as we are still gathering information on this virus and accurate numbers would for sure help. But even if the numbers were badly inflated it's not looking good and if we don't find any vaccine or really effective medication I'm afraid masks and social distancing are here to stay and will have to become part of our culture.

I agree, post mortems are usually only done for unnatural, unexplained or otherwise unexpected deaths. But using the virus as an excuse to not do one on someone who was otherwise fit and healthy distorts the figures, causing more problems than it solves.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Zadra: 0. :eek:
Meanwhile Untamed was on 120 mins today.

Walibi Holland has upped capacity. There is hardly any mask wearing in The Netherlands from what I understand with it first even being illegal to wear them on roller coasters. But I believe that has been relaxed after it has been repeatedly demonstrated they don't come off so easily. Social distancing also seems to be more or less ignored now in Walibi Holland, but it is still advised throughout the country.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
My aunt had covid-19 in April with moderate symptoms and she keeps experiencing relapses. As said above the long term effects are not yet known but there could be impacts such as long term lung damage etc.

On a side note, UK daily cases are unfortunately back up to over 500 today after dipping to under 400 yesterday, and deaths seem to have shot up as well. I am aware with the way deaths are reported they are low on a Monday and high on a Tuesday, but 155 deaths due to covid is still way too high. Countries like Germany, France, spain, italy have max 30 daily deaths now due to covid and we still have 155? Really worried about things like pubs operating again when this is still the case.

As for merlin, they should NOT be allowed to operate cattlepens, and masks should be mandatory for all in the queueline as physical distancing is ignored by a lot of the members of the general public.

Last edited:
My aunt had covid-19 in April with moderate symptoms and she keeps experiencing relapses. As said above the long term effects are not yet known but there could be impacts such as long term lung damage etc.

On a side note, UK daily cases are unfortunately back up to over 500 today after dipping to under 400 yesterday, and deaths seem to have shot up as well. I am aware with the way deaths are reported they are low on a Monday and high on a Tuesday, but 155 deaths due to covid is still way too high. Countries like Germany, France, spain, italy have max 30 daily deaths now due to covid and we still have 155? Really worried about things like pubs operating again when this is still the case.

This is what I mean about wether the figures are genuine or not?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Regardless of how dangerous it is (and I agree, it is) It’s actually really nice to be at a park with such a great atmosphere... Nice to forgot about the ‘C’ word for a while... Also, I can’t put my finger on why, but it seems so much prettier, and the theming seems to be better than I remember!!! I’m sure they’ve removed a lot of plastic tac, but I can’t say exactly what or where... ?

Anyway... Give me this kind of atmosphere over outdoor social distancing any day!!!

View attachment 8834
View attachment 8835

This however is a lot more concerning!!! Beiing indoors!!!

View attachment 8836
I would not feel comfortable there, not one little bit at all.

I would still try and be very careful there if I were you, covid risks in the uk are actually similarly to Poland based on 7 day case average and population density, and Poland aren’t actually out of their first wave yet (cases haven’t decreased since they rose and then levelled off)

Zadra: 0. :eek:
Meanwhile Untamed was on 120 mins today.

Walibi Holland has upped capacity. There is hardly any mask wearing in The Netherlands from what I understand with it first even being illegal to wear them on roller coasters. But I believe that has been relaxed after it has been repeatedly demonstrated they don't come off so easily. Social distancing also seems to be more or less ignored now in Walibi Holland, but it is still advised throughout the country.

Are you there at the moment? How is it?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
This is what I mean about wether the figures are genuine or not?

I would definitely say the case figures are genuine, and that’s what I’m focusing on and basing it off population density to work out which countries are currently higher risk than others.

There’s something funny with the deaths though, 16 yesterday up to 155 yesterday, I know they don’t report them over the weekend but I would have surely thought they were much lower by now?

I’m not doubting how serious this virus is, it has killed 2 people I know, hospitalised another and I know others who have had moderate symptoms and now have relapses and believe to have lung damage. This virus is pretty scary and I always make sure to social distance, wear a mask in indoor spaces and have good hand hygiene etc and limit physical contact, and people who don’t care or have given up on social distance really piss me off. But there is something funny about the way the deaths are reported.

Worth focussing on cases, our 7 day average is still coming down and hopefully it will still continue to decrease with contact tracing and Leicester lockdown, the last thing the public needs, in terms of people’s health and safety and the economy, is another wave of this virus.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster

From this article about Simon Dolan trying to take the Gov to court of lockdown

"by mid-June there had been 28,137 Covid deaths, of which 297 were of people under the age of 60 without a co-morbidity, i.e. 99% of the deaths were of people who were already seriously unwell"

Protect those that need it and personally, those odds I can deal with and not gonna live in a shoe box hiding from it

if you are fit and well you will not die ?

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster

I would still try and be very careful there if I were you, covid risks in the uk are actually similarly to Poland based on 7 day case average and population density, and Poland aren’t actually out of their first wave yet (cases haven’t decreased since they rose and then levelled off)

No not there. Was just reading loopings about that and checking the queue times:

As far as I understand us Brits can't even travel to the Netherlands now without 2 week quarantine. I don't blame the Dutch but it is a bit annoying since I have my family there. Hopefully I can still get a visit in in October without quarantine.

I don't agree with anyone suing the government over lockdown at all. I think it is the pinnacle of time wasting as the Brexit court cases were. Must have money and time to burn.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
No not there. Was just reading loopings about that and checking the queue times:

As far as I understand us Brits can't even travel to the Netherlands now without 2 week quarantine. I don't blame the Dutch but it is a bit annoying since I have my family there. Hopefully I can still get a visit in in October without quarantine.

I’m pretty sure (99%) that the quarantine in the Netherlands is voluntary, similar to the one in France. But you would have to check on that.

Regardless of minimal social distancing in walibi, holland are on the way to completely suppressing this virus. Only under 40 new positive tests today and only 32 yesterday, hopefully not long before their first day of 0 cases. So regardless of minimal distancing chances of catching the virus in holland are currently very small!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
So, apparently chessington world of adventures ride staff are very unhappy with the amount of people who aren’t wearing face masks on the rides where they aren’t compulsory, and they are feeling very unsafe.

Combined with the Cineworld petition from staff for compulsory masks in cinema foyers, it is clear a lot of staff members are feeling very uncomfortable with the low levels of the UK a public who are wearing masks.

At the end of this day this comes down to the fact that the government aren’t actively recommending masks to reduce transmission, even though it is scientifically proven. Until the government have a change in policy, it is very hard for businesses to introduce legislation to make masks compulsory, this is why Drayton manor had to u turn their policy as even though they wanted compulsory masks throughout the park to protect their staff, that did not fall within government guidance.

Remember, all these staff are there to help you, in whatever business you are in, so please do the right thing and wear a mask so they are also protected.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

I know you wouldn’t buddy :( A lot of people wouldn’t, which is why I am sharing my honest view of the measures at parks I visit, despite not really being too worried myself :)

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I know you wouldn’t buddy :( A lot of people wouldn’t, which is why I am sharing my honest view of the measures at parks I visit, despite not really being too worried myself :)
Out of interest, how was the flight wearing a mask for 2-3 hours? Is it easily manageable without a mask-break.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Out of interest, how was the flight wearing a mask for 2-3 hours? Is it easily manageable without a mask-break.
I forget I’m wearing a mask now... Wear one for 12 hours at work :)

I forget to take it off leaving a ride most of the time and wear it on the midways ??

Flight was good though, empty row in front and behind and row to ourselves. :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
What BlueSonic being selfish?! Unheard of ?
Sorry but I think you’re both being unfair to him... He never for a second suggested he would put anyone else at risk, in fact he used the phrase “protect those at risk”

His suggestion is that if we properly shield those at risk then the rest can get on with things, at least that’s the way I read it...

Unfortunately @BlueSonicHD I don’t agree with you, the elderly and at risk are some of the most stubborn sods who will not be locked away while we get to ‘get on with things’ They didn’t listen to shielding advice before lockdown, and they won’t listen after, the group effort was probably needed :/

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Sorry but I think you’re both being unfair to him... He never for a second suggested he would put anyone else at risk, in fact he used the phrase “protect those at risk”

His suggestion is that if we properly shield those at risk then the rest can get on with things, at least that’s the way I read it...

Unfortunately @BlueSonicHD I don’t agree with you, the elderly and at risk are some of the most stubborn sods who will not be locked away while we get to ‘get on with things’ They didn’t listen to shielding advice before lockdown, and they won’t listen after, the group effort was probably needed :/
Not at all, his self centred 'I don't care about anyone else I infect' attitude is frankly awful. Not that I am surprised by it at all

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Protect those that need it
Not at all, his self centred 'I don't care about anyone else I infect' attitude is frankly awful. Not that I am surprised by it at all
It would be, IF that was his attitude! ??‍♂️

Just because you have a different idea of how to protect the ‘at risk’ doesn’t give you the moral high ground, nor does it make him selfish... It just means you both disagree on the best course of action... So there’s no need for personal attacks on his character...

for the record, I do not agree with @BlueSonicHD but that doesn’t mean I think he is selfish.

Anyway, I’m gonna leave it there, sick of how divisive this whole thing has been to be honest, when most people want to do the right thing, but they just don’t agree on what the right thing is! And there has been far too much self righteousness all the way through.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Deary me.
Prejudice is frowned upon, apart from the elderly.
Age prejudice rises again.
I have twenty elderly customers between 70 and 94.
All are still at home, still following the rules, still keeping away from their family.
Always good to blame the generation before.