What's new

Silver Dollar City | Mystic River Falls | River Rapids

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
does it have little wheels underneath, or is it just sliding on the tube section?
I'm pretty sure they don't have upstop wheels (or equivalent). I suppose there's little chance of the boat coming free as they're so heavy and stable.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Just before the drop on the straight track, the trough changes. Asides the walls keeping in line, perhaps the change in base helps ensure the speed is not too fast (as it sure doesn't need help slippin and sliding)

1594109117276.png

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Just before the drop on the straight track, the trough changes. Asides the walls keeping in line, perhaps the change in base helps ensure the speed is not too fast (as it sure doesn't need help slippin and sliding)

View attachment 8831
There's actually a fast moving conveyor belt system there (the three green strips), with evac steps at the side. Stops the boats spinning, and kind of acts as a block brake?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I cannot properly "physics" this thought out in my head nor on paper because it's a stretch, but I would not be surprised at all to learn that the conveyors and channels somehow induce negative pressure under the raft to keep it "stuck" to the drop. I have no idea how it'd work but fluid mechanics is weird and is probably possible.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Completely agree, and looking at the flat expanse of dirt visible on Google Maps satellite view, the landscaping they’ve done is really impressive as well.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
The traditional rapids part looks great, it looks fast with a fair bit going on. I'm not a fan off the big drop part though, it just looks a bit fairground ridey, like the cheap storm surge esqe style. Think they could have made it look so much better without the helix at the top as wouldn't have been too much faff to properly theme.

Im probably just being a little entitled by comparing this to Mystery Castle River Quest which unfortunately ****s on all other rapids in terms of the ride and themeing.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I cannot properly "physics" this thought out in my head nor on paper because it's a stretch, but I would not be surprised at all to learn that the conveyors and channels somehow induce negative pressure under the raft to keep it "stuck" to the drop. I have no idea how it'd work but fluid mechanics is weird and is probably possible.
There's actually a fast moving conveyor belt system there (the three green strips), with evac steps at the side. Stops the boats spinning, and kind of acts as a block brake?
That's how I was roughly arm-chair quaterbacking the physics - it looks like the trough has friction brakes-of-sorts before and during the drop, which essentially controls rotation and speed so the raft can safely (and comfortably) go down the drop.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
The traditional rapids part looks great, it looks fast with a fair bit going on. I'm not a fan off the big drop part though, it just looks a bit fairground ridey, like the cheap storm surge esqe style. Think they could have made it look so much better without the helix at the top as wouldn't have been too much faff to properly theme.

I somewhat agree with this, especially because the artwork looked to show some wooden theming encasing the helix...
But yeah, that is really nitpicking on what is otherwise a really great looking attraction.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Regarding landscaping - I am confident it will look better once plants have a few years to grow and age.