What's new

Intamin Unveils Four New Concepts

Gazza

Giga Poster
I'm still amazed by the perceived clamour for these. If I had a park there is no way I'd want one of these in it with a throughput of 600 guests per hour.
Parks routinely install Euro-fighters.

Honestly, its bizarre the double standards applied to these.

You have 8 people in a car on Karacho or Lost Gravity or that thing Powerpark is putting in and it's all fine, but then you take those same 8 guests and seat them in a straight line, and now its suddenly unacceptable.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Eurofighters don't have that bad a capacity though as the custom layouts tend to have a fair few block sections. Saw has a potential throughput of 1,100 for example, only 50 less than Nemesis Inferno.

Edit: people per hour, of course.

Matt N

CF Legend
I think it’s also easier to have many cars on a Euro-Fighter; for example, the aforementioned example of Saw has dual loading, so 2 cars of 8 are dispatched at once, and it also has a separate offload area, so there can in theory be 24-32 riders in the station area at once. Even some of the lower capacity Euro-Fighters tend to have one car unloading while the other is loading, making for 16 riders in the station area. Combine that with the fact that these coasters operate similarly to a wild mouse or spinning coaster in that they have many block sections and quite fast dispatches, making for quite a few cars at once, and they actually don’t have overly low capacity; most are in the very upper end of 3 digit numbers of riders per hour, and quite a few even get in excess of 1,000 riders per hour.

The Raptor Track, on the other hand, has a much longer train, more akin to that of a standard coaster, and it is also more like a standard coaster in how it operates. Due to this, there can only be 8 riders in the station area at once, so the dispatch occurs at a regular coaster sort of interval, therefore meaning that the throughput doesn’t get much above 500 riders per hour. By my calculations, even if a train is dispatched every 40 seconds (which is very, very fast for a standard length coaster train), the ride can only attain a maximum of 720 riders per hour (I think? A train every 40 seconds would lead to roughly 90 trains per hour, so 90*8=720).

Last edited:

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Similar capacity constraints to X/The Walking Dead then, which have no place in a park that size.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think it’s also easier to have many cars on a Euro-Fighter; for example, the aforementioned example of Saw has dual loading, so 2 cars of 8 are dispatched at once, and it also has a separate offload area, so there can in theory be 24-32 riders in the station area at once. Even some of the lower capacity Euro-Fighters tend to have one car unloading while the other is loading, making for 16 riders in the station area. Combine that with the fact that these coasters operate similarly to a wild mouse or spinning coaster in that they have many block sections and quite fast dispatches, making for quite a few cars at once, and they actually don’t have overly low capacity; most are in the very upper end of 3 digit numbers of riders per hour, and quite a few even get in excess of 1,000 riders per hour.

The Raptor Track, on the other hand, has a much longer train, more akin to that of a standard coaster, and it is also more like a standard coaster in how it operates. Due to this, there can only be 8 riders in the station area at once, so the dispatch occurs at a regular coaster sort of interval, therefore meaning that the throughput doesn’t get much above 500 riders per hour. By my calculations, even if a train is dispatched every 40 seconds (which is very, very fast for a standard length coaster train), the ride can only attain a maximum of 720 riders per hour (I think? A train every 40 seconds would lead to roughly 90 trains per hour, so 90*8=720).
See that's just incorrect for Wonder Woman. The train nexer stops, and it's almost some form of 2 trains in the station at a time. By the time the last person gets in, that next train is pretty much in the station in about 5 seconds. Once you SEE it in action, it's easier to understand. You don't stop moving in that line.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
The stock model for the knock-off raptor Intamin showed to possible clients at IAAPA was a single rail racing coaster design. Having two tracks would somewhat help with the capacity issues

See that's just incorrect for Wonder Woman. The train nexer stops, and it's almost some form of 2 trains in the station at a time. By the time the last person gets in, that next train is pretty much in the station in about 5 seconds. Once you SEE it in action, it's easier to understand. You don't stop moving in that line.

In the case of his calculations the moving train thing just means WW is quicker at dispatch than RB. I just did a quick check on some videos and 40 seconds between trains leaving the station on WW even with the moving stations seems about right if not a little fast. So his maths checks out for capacity numbers for WW. and RB would be lower than that.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend

Is it a bit like how the one on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit works, as I’ve ridden that?

In all honesty, it was just a complete guess on my part, but my point was that I think Euro-Fighters are far easier to attain high throughputs on than Raptors by design.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I think the most similar comparison for a TRex in a scale & price aspect, would be a Giga. This gargantuan (ideally) 300ft+ tall and minimum $30mil coaster is something very few parks could realistically invest in. And of those few parks that COULD, 4 of 'em already have a 300ft'er in the park not you kings island. Granted, the way I've heard Schilke talk about what he could potentially do with a TRex... pretty obvious it'd be a very different experience:)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think the most similar comparison for a TRex in a scale & price aspect, would be a Giga. This gargantuan (ideally) 300ft+ tall and minimum $30mil coaster is something very few parks could realistically invest in. And of those few parks that COULD, 4 of 'em already have a 300ft'er in the park not you kings island. Granted, the way I've heard Schilke talk about what he could potentially do with a TRex... pretty obvious it'd be a very different experience:)
I could have sworn I made a "parks that could get a giga?" thread a few years back, but the only one I could find was from 2008. Anyway, there aren't that many of those parks out there, so the potential market for T-Rex coasters is absolutely tiny even if you disregard competing manufacturers (that is, B&M and Intamin, with Mack and Vekoma possibly being willing to make bids as well). Perhaps a Chinese park would like to take a shot at the record one day, but by then maybe Chinese manufacturers are building their own Gigas as well. So RMC has tough competition in an almost non-existing market, which makes the prospects of a T-Rex incredibly slim.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Eurofighters don't have that bad a capacity though as the custom layouts tend to have a fair few block sections. Saw has a potential throughput of 1,100 for example, only 50 less than Nemesis Inferno.

Edit: people per hour, of course.
Jersey Devil has 12 car trains and an MCBR so there's your block sections.

The reality is, these seem to be aimed at the same sort of parks that would install a Eurofighter 320 or a sky rocket II , who don't need a capacity over 1000.
It's just that the first two got installed at larger parks because SF are cheap and CF doesn't love CGA.

emoo

Hyper Poster
But half Christmas was weeks ago.

These all look exciting. I think we can all see the blatant similarities to other rides Intamin or others have done but these new takes are welcome.

Visually that is a vast improvement on the power splash with only the track reaching into the sky and no scaffolding.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Renaming thread based on a bunch of new design concepts. :)

It's interesting to see a lot of content... that's already been done? Even bringing back their steep-drop-splash-boat-business feels a bit rehash vs. work they've already done.

Would love to see the work come to life, but wouldn't be chuffed if it stays on the drawing board.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
As great as these concepts look they do slightly annoy me, clearly copying other coaster models. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't attracted to them though, with them possibly being better than the rides they are knocking off. They are all seriously sexy af.

Since Intamin don't make their own track, I wonder if they'll strike a deal with RMC to build the track for their Hot Racer and Giga Splash models, like how S&S have RMC make theirr Free Spin track.