What's new

Accident at Lightwater Valley

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
why would you want that to happen ? Lightwater valley a gem of a park the ultimate amazing it would be a very sad day to lose such a unique and amazing ride lets just hope this poor boy makes a full recovery and hope Lightwater valley can recover from this .
At what point did I say in any of my posts that I wanted this to happen? Of course I don't the boy to pass, the park to get sued, and close down.

Peet

Giga Poster
His condition is described as "Critical but stable"

Police said the boy was taken to hospital with head injuries and was in a "critical but stable condition".

The full article is here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-48474770

I am not impressed that somebody (the BBC?) seems to have approached the mother of the poor girl who died in 2001 on this ride for comment about this incident - not helpful to anybody, least of all the grieving mum.

spicy

Giga Poster
I am not impressed that somebody (the BBC?) seems to have approached the mother of the poor girl who died in 2001 on this ride for comment about this incident - not helpful to anybody, least of all the grieving mum.

The way some of the media have been handling this has been pretty shocking.

Apparently the guy who took the picture of the child laying under the coaster has been selling it to the media for £400 through Getty images and he works for Getty.

Have to be an absolute sicko if you cash in on a potentially fatal accident especially involving a child.

davidm

Strata Poster
Alternatively; journalist who happened to be at the scene does his job?

Not condoning tabloid-journalism at all (far from it), but anyone who clicks on a click-bait article / reads a tabloid newspaper / visits the Daily Mail website / posts shocking things online "for likes" is complicit in that behaviour to some extent and for people to get all riled up about this one "sicko" is hypocrisy at its finest .

However the mob-mentality internet campaign against this guy has out-shadowed the mob-mentality "dem rollycoasters are deff traps" rant that we would usually get, so by all means have a go at him.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Hope the kid is alright. Not great for a park that already feels like its struggling.

Someone on reddit commented that they went the other day and was informed by the ride op that the seatbelt is optional. I feel like I've seen that rule implemented elsewhere, maybe there for when kids ride?

We visited Fantasy Island on Wednesday and I was TOLD OFF on Ice Mountain for fastening my seat belt!!! The op said “lift your arms” I was fastening, so he shouted again “lift your arms” by this time I was done and so replied “sorry, I was just fastening my belt” to which he replied “you do not need to”

I couldn’t help but wonder why it was there if that is the case. But assumed it was probably obsolete now. Thinking about it now, it’s probably for smaller children to use.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Back in my proper goon days I seem to recall a seatbelt that fastens to the restraint being an additional requirement enforced by safety regulations or was I lead up the garden path on that one?

I found out Daily Mail had purchased the pics by the way by reading on twitter. Need to categorically state am NOT a daily mail reader haha.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Back in my proper goon days I seem to recall a seatbelt that fastens to the restraint being an additional requirement enforced by safety regulations or was I lead up the garden path on that one?

I found out Daily Mail had purchased the pics by the way by reading on twitter. Need to categorically state am NOT a daily mail reader haha.

Yes I think that is correct on the likes of B&M where the belt is attached to the restraint. But these rev spinners actually have a lap belt for the riders to each wear around their waists. Then 2 people share a lap/buzz bar. If 1 person is huge and the other a small child it leaves the possibility of the lap bar effectively being useless on the smaller person. This could be the reason for the belts.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Every spinning Wild Mouse I've been on (a whopping 3) the ride operators haven't bothered with the seatbelt. Why this sort of practice is allowed to happen is beyond me - it may be a secondary restraint to the lap bar, but it's still a restraint. If there's a seatbelt, it should always be used, even if there's already another restraint.

I know these cars have one lap bar to two people, so I reckon the child was sat next to an adult with no seatbelt, and had enough room because the lap bar was high enough to fit the adult - exactly why a seatbelt should be used.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If that's right, a thought from me for that adult too. I think that person would gladly have swapped places with the boy, to put it like that.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If that's right, a thought from me for that adult too. I think that person would gladly have swapped places with the boy, to put it like that.

VERY important to remember that this is just speculation of possible causes based on the very few facts available. Being the ride and restraint types, the injured boys age and presumed size and the fact he was riding with his mother. There is absoloutely nothing to suggest that this is what happened, just a theory based on those facts alone. There could be a thousand other possibilities, and I know this is rich coming from me after what I posted earlier, but it really is probably best to wait until more is known before speculating too much.

Matt N

CF Legend
The only Reverchon mice I've ridden were the two sides of Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom, and they definitely made us wear the seatbelt there.

dontbesuchamcbr

Roller Poster
I wish the Boy that he will get well soon.

Last year I rode g'senkte Sau (for the first time ever) at Tripsdrill with my little nephew. There was only one lapbar for both of us without any seatbelt. I didn't know that and was pretty surprised about that.
Before I could think it started and I thought my nephew is going to fall out. He was so loose in there but I could hold him so nothing bad happened. He had so much fun and loved it!
But I hated it. The whole time I thought I can't let him die.

Again, I wish all the best to the Boy and his Family!