What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Come on, there is only 57m difference in length between Orion and Shambhala, but Shambhala has 7 airtime hills as opposed to Orion’s 4, and a splashdown. I’m sure Orion will be good but the point I was making was that it doesn’t really do much considering its height and speed, something most others in this thread have said too. A quarter of its layout is brake run and another quarter the giant helix. Maybe the sensation of speed will make it great though...
I agree with you on the whole but just a note Shambhala has a fake splashdown with fountains rather than a real scoop splash

KIFan

Roller Poster
Come on, there is only 57m difference in length between Orion and Shambhala, both are basically 1.5km, but Shambhala has 7 airtime hills as opposed to Orion’s 4, and a splashdown. I’m sure Orion will be good but the point I was making was that it doesn’t really do much considering its height and speed, something most others in this thread have said too. A quarter of its layout is brake run and another quarter the giant helix. Maybe the sensation of speed will make it great though...
I don’t know where you’re getting the four number, I’m seeing seven elements. It might not have as many pure airtime hills, but I think it has a great variety of different elements.
  • Lift and drop
  • “Wave” turn
  • Turnaround
  • Speed hill
  • Camelback
  • Helix
  • Weird dive thing

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I don’t know where you’re getting the four number, I’m seeing seven elements. It might not have as many pure airtime hills, but I think it has a great variety of different elements.
  • Lift and drop
  • “Wave” turn
  • Turnaround
  • Speed hill
  • Camelback
  • Helix
  • Weird dive thing
He’s referring to four airtime hills.

I remain most intrigued to see how it runs through the course at 60-70 ambient air temperature. Still fearing sluggishness through elements, but would love to be surprised.

KIFan

Roller Poster
7 elements is not a "great" variety to anyone but you, especially when the officially marketed 8th "hill" is the hop into the brakes. But keep trying to hype it up! Its amusing
Each element is unique, different from each other, and distinctive from other rides, so I think it is a great variety.

Pear

Strata Poster
Each element is unique, different from each other, and distinctive from other rides, so I think it is a great variety.

• Lift and drop
  • “Wave” turn
  • Turnaround
  • Speed hill
  • Camelback
  • Helix
  • Weird dive thing

Orion's lift, drop, camelback, speed hill, and helix are all so distinctive you're right. Never seen anything like those on other rides.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
All in its about 53 seconds. Compare that to MF, which is a second or two over a minute.

Also, additional photo of train lift hill action.
Thanks but is that right? All in? As the lift seemed to take 45 to 50 seconds... Or is the lift running slower to test, as is often the case?

Edit: just realised you meant all in, as in with the parts missing from the video ??? Sorry

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks but is that right? All in? As the lift seemed to take 45 to 50 seconds... Or is the lift running slower to test, as is often the case?

Edit: just realised you meant all in, as in with the parts missing from the video ??? Sorry
Yup, meaning from the top of the lift hill... to the beginning of the brake run. :p

TBF we aren't seeing any unique elements on Orion that aren't on other rides - and that's ok! To be pragmatic, few, if at any, giga coasters have "unique" elements. They're just in the honest business of large hills, turns, and speed. Heck, Fury 325 and Millennium Force only have (arguably) 3 airtime hills each, and I305 is nothing but a series of high speed turns intermixed with hills. But the sheer size and scale of the layouts are what make them great rides (and too, what will make Orion a good ride in turn).

KIFan

Roller Poster
Orion's lift, drop, camelback, speed hill, and helix are all so distinctive you're right. Never seen anything like those on other rides.
The drop makes Orion the first giga that uses its terrain, so that's extremely unique and worthwhile. Plus it's 85 degrees, which is the steepest of any of the B&M gigas. Come on, does everyone really have to be so obtuse all the time in your quest to **** all over this? Don't you have anything better to do you with your time?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The drop makes Orion the first giga that uses its terrain, so that's extremely unique and worthwhile. Plus it's 85 degrees, which is the steepest of any of the B&M gigas. Come on, does everyone really have to be so obtuse all the time in your quest to **** all over this? Don't you have anything better to do you with your time?
Can you not jerk this thing off in every post?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
The drop makes Orion the first giga that uses its terrain, so that's extremely unique and worthwhile. Plus it's 85 degrees, which is the steepest of any of the B&M gigas.
It uses terrain because without it it would still be a hyper. Besides the drop the ride barely uses terrain and its terrain use is hardly unique or worthwhile. Also measuring the drop angle, 85 degrees seems to be a bit of a stretch, but parks lie all the time about stats so nothing new there.

1582501326528.png

The steeper line is at 85 degrees while the shallower one is 80.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
To calm some nerves, as I can appreciate being passionate about a new roller coaster, especially when it's your home park (speaking as the resident CP fanboy): Yes, Orion is receiving flack for being a shorter-than-300-feet-as-it-stands-but-still-300-foot-drop Giga. And yes, it's also a big deal for the park, and will be well received. There doesn't need to be defending aspects of this coaster to the death, and it's ok to have differing opinion - you also only need read back through 50 pages of discussion here, alongside visit other coaster enthusiast discussion to see trepidation on how good the coaster is.

It's also the off-season, and we all do not have anything better to do. Hence why we've been discussing if Pantheon will derail for 3 pages in another topic. :p

Yeah, not a chance that's actually an 85 degree drop. Didn't realize PR depts could round 80 up to 85 like that
I mean, it is 85 degrees. :p Or at least, it's going to be difficult to disprove in lieu of a proper-head on measurement. It also makes this tied for steepest Giga coaster with I-305, which to date is one of my favorite Giga drops, making me very excited for Orion's in turn.

BansheeBerry

Roller Poster
It uses terrain because without it it would still be a hyper. Besides the drop the ride barely uses terrain and its terrain use is hardly unique or worthwhile. Also measuring the drop angle, 85 degrees seems to be a bit of a stretch, but parks lie all the time about stats so nothing new there.

View attachment 7861

The steeper line is at 85 degrees while the shallower one is 80.
I trust the park, who has Orion’s blueprints and specifications over your basic measurement. Using photos to measure the steepness of the drop isn’t that accurate as the perspective will effect your measurements.

emoo

Hyper Poster
An extra tall hyper is not poop, and while it doesn't appear to outdo its predecessors with slow footage and a mile high brake run, it'll be at least 'fine'. Thought this had been thoroughly covered.?‍♂️

KIFan

Roller Poster
An extra tall hyper is not poop, and while it doesn't appear to outdo its predecessors with slow footage and a mile high brake run, it'll be at least 'fine'. Thought this had been thoroughly covered.?‍♂️
Apollo isn't a hyper, then, if this isn't a giga. Also, it was going super fast for it being as cold as it was when it first tested. And finally, the brake run is 83 feet tall and a mile is 5,280 feet, so the brake run isn't a mile high.