What's new

SeaWorld San Diego | Emperor | B&M Dive Coaster | 2022

Ethan

Strata Poster
I was under the impression that B&M's vest restraints had improved in recent years; the reports from rides like Valkyria and Yukon Striker suggests that they don't tighten anymore, and even the older ones like the ones on Swarm didn't personally bother me that much!
If you're above 6 foot, they are essentially torture devices. I imagine having slightly big boobs under those vests isn't pleasant, either.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm lucky being only 5' 8". I'm by no means skinny but I've never had a problem with restraints or fitting on coasters (aside from tiny kiddie coasters obv).

Trax

Hyper Poster
Being close to 6" 4 I really don't get all the hate you have for the vest restraints. The OTS restraints are fine if you are 6" max, but for me, they always push on my shoulders, even though B&M has probably the best OTS I know. I had the chance to experience the vest restraints on Valkyria, and they are so much better for me in terms of comfort. I addition, they allow you to move quite a bit foward, giving a great hanging sensation on the drop.

Maybe it's just me being tall, but I really think that those vests are a vast improvement over the Over the shoulder ones - even though I wish they would just use Lap bars (which would be quite uncomfortable on Dive machines).

Peet

Giga Poster
Let's face it, with modern lap bars being so comfortable and safe, any kind of restraint over the shoulder *should* be a thing of the past, I suppose the GP prefer the feeling of safety that these things give you but it's a shame for us enthusiasts.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Well, I think it's kind of useful on some kinds of coasters. With the hanging on the drop, It may be quite uncomfortable without any support for your upper body.
Same goes for some rides with very intense turns, I think you may need to support the upper body a bit, so some passengers don't get thrown arround in their seat.

But for ~95% of the rides, I'd agree on this. But even lap bars can be kind of bad and uncomfortable. Looking at you, RMC...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Even though the vests don't have a one-way locking system any more, they're still sprung loaded, and press down to take away all space between you and the restraint. They may have solved the comfort problem, and there are rides where I don't really mind them, but they completely ruin dive machines by removing all airtime and rendering the drop completely forceless, unless you're prepared to deal with the discomfort of holding the vest up against the bar to keep it off your torso and shoulders.

It seems like B&M have figured out how to make interesting dive machine layouts in the last couple of years, yet I have no interest in them with these restraints. I'm afraid they're all getting filed under "meh" until they find a better solution. Valkyria has the best dive machine layout I've experienced to date, but the vertical drop may as well not exist.

The Vests definitely worsen Yukon Strikers drop but it doesn't totally annihilate it the way it does on Valravn. That said i do agree. you lose most of the strong pop on the dive machine so they lose some of their luster.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
tm3ofjsge1f41.jpg

Such a pretty layout <3

Rupert

Mega Poster
Usually whenever B&M dive machines get announced, especially without tunnels, I often find them really uninspiring and formulaic. This though looks like a really fun layout (love the cutback and the rolls that follow), and Valkyria rides so well I’m pretty optimistic for this too.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Oh no. I forgot that these things have vest restraints now.

I thought this coaster looked quite good.

It'll probably be **** now.

KIFan

Roller Poster
Oh no. I forgot that these things have vest restraints now.

I thought this coaster looked quite good.

It'll probably be **** now.
Everybody on here hates B&M for not being innovative enough. But they created the wonderful, innovative vest restraints and the people on here hate them. Make up your minds already!!

Last edited by a moderator: