What's new

New look for RCDB

davidm

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
I like the new design, but is this really the only solution to pasting photo links?
At the moment, but...
rcdb said:
Some have noticed these pages are not currently linkable. A solution for this is in the works, but isn't ready.
:)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^For those that haven't figured it out. It's a two-step process. Right click on the image and select 'Open Link in New Window' or 'Open Link in New Tab', then right click again in the new window/tab and select 'Copy Image Location'. Not a one-click operation, but still easy enough. (Sorry for not posting this a long time ago.)

Have you noticed that something new has been added to rcdb? Over 2500 video links were recently added to many coaster pages and most of them are CF's. :--D
I hinted at this yesterday in my Goliath construction post, but waited to post it here after rcdb made the official announcement.
You have to be using HTML 5 / CSS 3 or Auto Select in the preferences because the video button will not show up on the old version of the site. Hopefully Duane will be rolling out a mobile compatible version soon so that the video feature will work on phones and tablets as well.

rich210uk

Mega Poster
The new look is great and I like the new photo viewer but it does have a problem which is bugging me! Not sure if its just me and my browser or the way the site has been written.

If you click on a coasters page and flick through all the photos for instance, and when your done click the X to close the viewer, you then cant click the back button on the browser if you do it goes through all the photos that you just viewed! You have to keep going through the menus to get back to the original list you were viewing!

Is this happening for anyone else?

Sneaky

Roller Poster
^

Yes, Every time you open the photo page or a new photo (or next), a new page gets loaded.
It's bothering me as well.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Duane and I discussed this last year and it looks like he's starting to implement the idea he came up with putting links to parks' media sites on their RCDB pages. http://rcdb.com/4557.htm
At the time I told him I really liked the idea as I enjoy multiple resources to gather info I need and having links on RCDB makes it much easier than doing a search, since RCDB is generally my first source choice.
Thoughts?

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I think that is a good idea. Sometimes the parks Facebook or twitter will make announcements that the website won't so then you need to try and track them down on some other platform. This will make it so much easier then having to go to the actual site and search for them.

cookie

Giga Poster
How do you change to pillarbox view? I don't like how everything's shoved to the side on standard desktop view.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Much better.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Surely the reason you'd want to 'sign in' to RCDB would be to count credits, right...?

If that's the case, we're in for a treat
That's what I thought and was the key bit of news here. Coastercount can be a pain to use so would be interested in an alternative.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
If it is for counting...I still think C-C will be better, since it tracks all the portables that RCDB doesn't include, although the last few C-C updates have mde it less and less user friendly, more-so when mobile on Android.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
If it is for counting...I still think C-C will be better, since it tracks all the portables that RCDB doesn't include, although the last few C-C updates have mde it less and less user friendly, more-so when mobile on Android.
The Android thing is a pain but I seem to recurrently get a login error on cc by getting stuck in a loop where it asks me to transfer my old account from the old site when I already have (atleast once). Sorted it once but then it came back again and can't be bothered to spend ages on it so just stick to a spreadsheet. Probably just me but if anything can beat that experience I'll be intruiged!

TilenB

Strata Poster
Has anybody noticed the new world view tab? I really like all the little coaster density stats that are now in there.