What's new

Disneyland Resort Paris Announces Frozen Celebration In 2020

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster

Well... I guess this is prep for the area in the Walt Disney Studios Park expansion from 2021 onwards!
I think it's more the release of the Frozen 2 movie that is the reason for the celebration.

Given how long it is taking them to fix a stupid boring elephant carousel or refurbish a car ride I wouldn't get my hopes up new lands will be there that soon. I think it will be closer to the Paris Olympics in 2024. And I also expect Star Wars land to be completely dropped.

I think we will first see the Iron Man coaster & Spiderman ride 2020-2021 so sort of Marvel land I guess, then the Cars Tram Tour thing (probably also 2021) but then a long wait for the opening of Frozen and the lake and extended opening hours similar to the Disneyland park.

Last edited:
I think it's more the release of the Frozen 2 movie that is the reason for the celebration.

Given how long it is taking them to fix a stupid boring elephant carousel or refurbish a car ride I wouldn't get my hopes up new lands will be there that soon. I think it will be closer to the Paris Olympics in 2024. And I also expect Star Wars land to be completely dropped.

I think we will first see the Iron Man coaster & Spiderman ride 2020-2021 so sort of Marvel land I guess, then the Cars Tram Tour thing (probably also 2021) but then a long wait for the opening of Frozen and the lake and extended opening hours similar to the Disneyland park.
Yh true. I believe it is 2025 the planned opening for Star Wars Land (Galaxy's Edge)

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Yh true. I believe it is 2025 the planned opening for Star Wars Land (Galaxy's Edge)
Since there is very little progress with that area (if any) I just think it is quite possible Star Wars will be dropped from the line up. Maybe there will be more Pixar stuff instead. If Rise of Skywalker doesn't take in at least 1 billion you can forget it for sure as surely it would be a strong signal to Disney the franchise is not engaging well (enough) with younger people.

Also weird, which I just thought of, I wonder if Disney are regretting building the Spiderman ride since it looks like Sony will be going at it alone with future movies from now on. This ride may look out of place when it is finished when we see "Marvel Land" banners and every subsequent Spiderman movie will only have Sony pictures logos etc?

I'm probably in the vast minority but I actually really liked the initial Paris Disney Studios park setup as it felt more of a celebration of ALL cinema which you could really see in the likes of Cinemagique. Disney seemed to take a humble place in that celebration. Rock N Rollercoaster was awesome but they haven't kept up with maintaining this ride well. It is very rough in the corkscrew and should have had new trains years ago. The car Stuntshow was great in 2002 but it hardly seems to have changed in 17 years. Just some things dropped (people used to get picked out of the audience to be part of the show). The tram ride also has had parts dropped instead of things added which would have made it more worthwhile.
Now when I walk around the studios park, I see smashed up parade line tiles, construction fences everywhere and hear an extremely loud and irritating outdoor Marvel show everywhere. Real poor and the park doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 best European theme parks (see Tripadvisor #7) in its current state.
If Ratatouille and Tower of Terror weren't there, they may as well have closed for 5 years, bulldoze everything and start again.

Getting back to topic. That celebration obviously should have been in the studios park but the parade route disappearing is a real problem at the moment. Real shame.

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
They're not gonna drop Galaxy's Edge willy nilly, come on now.

They probably aren't going to start construction on the back end of the park for a while anyhow if the entire Backlot is going to be inaccessible until at least 2020.

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
They're not gonna drop Galaxy's Edge willy nilly, come on now.

I've actually seen the opposite fan theories, that they'll change the plans to something more relatable to the films. It's all silly talk though, if any changes are made to the plans it'll be to add a second attraction for opening rather than being a later addition. However I doubt anything will change.

Construction on the land expansion is due to start towards the end of this year. The tram tour route is currently being built with that change opening next year(?). The Frozen and Star Wars area aren't due to open till 2023/24. Long way to go yet.

Spider-man, whether he's kept in the MCU or not is still a great addition to the parks. Disney owns the merchandise rights for the character and he's a huge moneymaker for the company, why would they be upset about adding an attraction based on one of their cash cows?

Moving forward we should keep the WDSP expansion talk to this thread

--------------

I'm not surprised Paris is having a Frozen season next year, their previous ones have been very sucessful and with the new film out later this year it makes a World of sense. The shocking bit is how long the event lasts. I don't think we've seen an event start in Jan and last till the Summer event. It's also the reason for no Princess and Pirate season next year which was incredible.

There's word some great new entertainment will be added with this season so it could be a really good update (all the new entertainment the last few years has been stellar) but I'm holding out for more info before I book my visit.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Another reason for the Frozen celebration is that, well, Disney wants something to celebrate always. Every five years, it's the anniversary of the park, of course. Then maybe Disney's own anniversary one of the five other years. Anniversaries of Mickey or other characters is another reason to celebrate, if they don't coincide with the previous two. It still leaves the occasional year where they have to think up something else. Frozen must be as good a subject as anything else.