What's new

Your favourite roller coasters built before 1990

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Psyke Underground I'd say

You can not realy count that one as a pre 1990 cred, as it got a complete overhaul when becoming Psyke. Launch is different (a lot more forcefull), experience is (with the 100% indoor), and I think they replaced the track entirely as well...

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Interesting thread!

The answer is Phoenix but since everyone is saying that...

Magnum XL 200. A bit rough sure but honestly it's not bad, esp if you know how to ride (I thought all enthusiasts knew tight belt loose bar, it seems not) and maybe it's weather dependent, when I rode this year it really wasn't bad at all. In back row ya get some nice pull and there's pretty intense airtime through the bunny hills. It's still fun and for me top 6 or 7 at CP

Besides that, hmmm yeah prob Beast, though it was better than I expected it still wasn't mind blowing. I personally was let down by the Kennywood Classics. Though I appreciate the history none really did much for me as rides.

EDIT: D'oh! I can't believe I forgot the Schwarzkopf's! Scorpion at BGT was pretty darn intense, and I can't lie I used to Lazer at Dorney RIP

zeroyon04

Roller Poster
My favorite coasters from the 80s that I've been on:

1. Bandit (I love the last two sections through the valley and whizzing next to the trees. It would be even better with no OTSR's, but it's quite smooth for a Togo. It's especially cool to ride in the winter at night when the whole park and coaster is lit up with tens of thousands of decorative lights)
2. Mindbender at Galaxyland (especially in the back car when they have it facing backwards)
3. Ultra Twister (the only one with a dive loop / Split S at Rusutsu resort)
4. Ultra Twister (the standard model with the mid-course brake)
5. The Demon (at California Great America. One of my first coasters ever)

Although I'm only in my early thirties, I feel like I've been on more coasters from the 80s than coasters from the 2010's... there just aren't many new coasters around where I live.

Last edited:

Lneeno

Roller Poster
Before 1990 I'd have to say all the Blackpool woodies including the wild mouse! The only steel coaster that comes to mind for me is Olympia Looping which rode like it was new.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
My favorite coasters from the 80s that I've been on:

1. Bandit (I love the last two sections through the valley and whizzing next to the trees. It would be even better with no OTSR's, but it's quite smooth for a Togo. It's especially cool to ride in the winter at night when the whole park and coaster is lit up with tens of thousands of decorative lights)
2. Mindbender at Galaxyland (especially in the back car when they have it facing backwards)
3. Ultra Twister (the only one with a dive loop / Split S at Rusutsu resort)
4. Ultra Twister (the standard model with the mid-course brake)
5. The Demon (at California Great America. One of my first coasters ever)

Although I'm only in my early thirties, I feel like I've been on more coasters from the 80s than coasters from the 2010's... there just aren't many new coasters around where I live.
Ooh, you've ridden Mindbender? @CanobieFan and I have too! It's in my top 5, currently, one spot ahead of Fury 325.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Magnum XL-200
Wild One
Shockwave SFOT
Phoenix
Blue Streak
SooperDooperLooper
Jack Rabbit
Scorpion
Loch Ness Monster
Carolina Cyclone

zeroyon04

Roller Poster
Ooh, you've ridden Mindbender? @CanobieFan and I have too! It's in my top 5, currently, one spot ahead of Fury 325.

Actually Mindbender was one of the first coasters I ever went on, since I grew up in Calgary (about a 3 hour drive away). It's a great coaster, isn't it? :)

I first went on Mindbender around 1994 or 1995 when Galaxyland was still called "Fantasyland", and had a first-gen Intamin drop tower next to the coaster. I'm quite a tall guy and was a tall kid too, so I barely made the height restriction. It scared the bejeesus out of me the first time I went on it, but it made me like roller coasters a lot more each time I rode it. I hope I can get over to Europe sometime and try out Olympia Looping. I also really need to go try Big Boom by Meisho sometime soon as well.

Last edited: