What's new

How do I get more points on CF?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I have been stuck at 333 points on CF for the longest time, I was just wondering how do I possibly get more? I mean is it just anniversary based? I don't know how I have the number of points I do but there still a good few members who have more points, it's just kind of unclear how you get points on the site at the moment.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I have been stuck at 333 points on CF for the longest time, I was just wondering how do I possibly get more? I mean is it just anniversary based? I don't know how I have the number of points I do but there still a good few members who have more points, it's just kind of unclear how you get points on the site at the moment.
I believe you get points by completing the word searches and obtaining achievements (for example, 1 Year Anniversary or Somebody Likes You). It seems that way, at least; would any of the moderators be able to divulge the algorithm to this system?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Short answer
It's a dead feature on the forums.

Long answer
The trophy points system was a mod for the old forum software (before the latest upgrade) that allowed you to earn points a bunch of different ways. Things like:
  • Hitting some sort of milestone - x-thousand posts, y-hundred likes, etc.
  • Other random achievements (there were a few semi-cryptic ones like having Phantasialand as your favourite park).
  • Manually added by the team.
The problem is that the software mod itself was not compatible with the new forum software without us (furie) having to hack it into the back end code (and I mean hack in both the programming sense and the axe-murderer sense). We decided it wasn't worth the upkeep, and so it was canned. Unfortunately, the custom field the previous mod made for each users' profile isn't super straightforward to remove, so for the time being they just sit there.

So you can't earn more points, you can't do anything with them, and hopefully in time they'll be removed completely. For now they're just a legacy hang over.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's a dead feature on the forums.

So you can't earn more points...

It's not completely dead - I was awarded trophy points just a couple of weeks back (after the forum upgrade) for being here 5 years, so the 'system' is still dishing them out automatically somehow.

@CrashCoaster - as a test, try changing your favourite park to Phantasialand - that's 10 free points right there!
There were a few other cryptic ones too, maybe having Voyage as your fave coaster was another one..? but I never managed to figure them all out.

But yeah, clearly an outdated system. I mean, who in their right mind has Phantasialand as their favourite park anyway? ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's not completely dead - I was awarded trophy points just a couple of weeks back (after the forum upgrade) for being here 5 years, so the 'system' is still dishing them out automatically somehow.
Now that is curious. I was under the impression it was off! :p

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Now that is curious. I was under the impression it was off! :p

Actually it was around the 5th/6th of July, bit more than a couple of weeks, but I still think that was after the forum upgrade, right?
There is a page on here somewhere that lists all the trophy points that are (or were) available but you could only seem to access it directly from the notification that you'd been awarded points, I could never find it from the site itself.
If the points system is, as you say, defunct, it might be quite interesting to post that list in full and reveal what the 'secret' point winners were...
Hixee? :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The point system is built in, so it's possible to still earn them.

They're now only for things like hitting post milestones and numbers of likes, etc.

The bit that is turned off is for the mods. So the wordsearch and a few others. Also the ability to spend points, but nobody used that anyway :)

So yeah, still works, but very few ways to earn them.

There are some secret points actually that some people have got. I won't spoil it though.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well there you go - I thought the whole thing had been turned off.

I'm off to find out what the secret ones are now, then. :p

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I'm off to find out what the secret ones are now, then. :p

Spill the beans if you find 'em, pal. :)
One question though - are they verified for honesty? I mean, what if your favourite park is something else, but you put Phantasialand anyway? Do you still get the points, or are fibbers found out?
Either way, the system is open to abuse. Who remembers Bell's Bookies and the Trophygate scandal? ?