What's new

Comfortability or popularity?

Groot

Roller Poster
Hello Everyone,

I've got a question that seems to be on my mind a lot lately. I'm a tall, very long-legged guy, and as a result I tend to have difficulties fitting into certain coasters, more specifically the classic wooden ones. This got me thinking, on these classic wooden coasters, am I crazy for not being a fan of them because of how painful they are? I love all B & M's, GCIs, Intamins, Mack Rides, and even some Vekomas. However, some of the nation's greats like The Beast at KI, or Cannonball at Lake Winnie, or Great American Scream Machine at SFOG are just so painful that I don't see how anyone my size is supposed to enjoy them. Although, you look at a coaster like Mystic Timbers at KI, or Thunderhead at Dollywood, or White Lightning at Fun Spot USA, and I fit fine, and they're all really enjoyable coasters. Mystic Timbers is even in my Top 10! I really want Voyage to be my 100th at the upcoming CF Live, but I'm not certain I'll still want it if I know it's painful.

-Stretch

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Are you crazy for not liking coasters that are popularly considered classics but that you find uncomfortable?

I think it’s safe to safe no one on this forum is going to come down on the side of “crazy.”

General consensus means absolutely nothing when making an individual assessment of a ride. It’s all about you and your ride. How did that coaster make you feel? What was your true level of enjoyment? That’s it.

There’s no pretense to objectivity here; it’s just subjectivity.

Groot

Roller Poster
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just wish I could experience these coasters the same way that everyone else could. Is it ever likely that they would completely change the trains on one of those classic coasters to accommodate the larger sizes of today's GP?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just wish I could experience these coasters the same way that everyone else could. Is it ever likely that they would completely change the trains on one of those classic coasters to accommodate the larger sizes of today's GP?
I think the answer to your last question, sadly, is no.
Some people find Skyrush’s restraints perfectly comfortable; some people find them brutal.

I’ve been on a lot of RMCs and I love them, but I find that about 30-40 percent of the time I feel uncomfortably stapled on them. Something about RMC restraints.

Comfort is a roll of the dice in general when you ride a lot of coasters, so you just have to hope your discomfort percentage will stay low.

Groot

Roller Poster
I’ve been on a lot of RMCs and I love them, but I find that about 30-40 percent of the time I feel uncomfortably stapled on them. Something about RMC restraints.

I also tend to get that sensation, but more so on my shins because of those shin restraints. And I also still love every RMC I've ridden.

Alex B

Mega Poster
I’m fat so I h8 el toros restraints but I still love el toro in general because of the ejector you get