What's new

Rollercoasters which are too intense?

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Have you ever rode a rollercoaster which was so intense it was painful and uncomfortable, i dont mean by it being shaky and causing head banging etc, i mean when the force actually start to hurt?
The only one i can think of (that ive been on) is Tornado at Bakken.
Any others?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Is it really that intense?
i mean it looks forcefull but not super intense

It is one of the most deceiving coasters. It looks cute being only 50 feet tall but Tornado is certainly not a family coasters by any means. Starting with the launched lift hill, it literally shoots you into a quite intense spiral drop which keeps the momentum going. It is a short ride but certainly not the most rerideable one (I actually got shoulder bruises from power riding it).

As for me, Eeejanaika (and I guess the other S&S 4D coasters). I was anticipating it to be a beast of a coaster, but nothing prepared me for what I was going to go through. Some maneuvers just feel almost *too* out of control and the shakiness/roughness only added intensity to it. Worth the trip to FujiQ alone!

Matt N

CF Legend
Now, two coasters that I'd personally say I found too intense to enjoy were:
  • Manta at SeaWorld Orlando - Now, this one mainly goes for the pretzel loop; I wasn't a massive fan of having all that pure positive g-force rushing to my head in that lying position, if I'm being honest.
  • Saw: The Ride at Thorpe Park - The roughness might not have helped, but I seem to remember Saw being a bit too intense to enjoy in places. That post-MCBR section in particular comes at you so fast that it messes with your head a bit and makes the intensity somewhat unpleasant, in my opinion. Even though Saw doesn't have the whole 14 inversions attribute of The Smiler, I'd almost argue that The Smiler is a more comfortable level of intensity for me; out of Smiler, Saw and Speed, I'd definitely say that Saw is the most intense.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Now, two coasters that I'd personally say I found too intense to enjoy were:
  • Manta at SeaWorld Orlando - Now, this one mainly goes for the pretzel loop; I wasn't a massive fan of having all that pure positive g-force rushing to my head in that lying position, if I'm being honest.
  • Saw: The Ride at Thorpe Park - The roughness might not have helped, but I seem to remember Saw being a bit too intense to enjoy in places. That post-MCBR section in particular comes at you so fast that it messes with your head a bit and makes the intensity somewhat unpleasant, in my opinion. Even though Saw doesn't have the whole 14 inversions attribute of The Smiler, I'd almost argue that The Smiler is a more comfortable level of intensity for me; out of Smiler, Saw and Speed, I'd definitely say that Saw is the most intense.
that break on smiler makes it alot more tolerable

TPC

Roller Poster
Saw I can manage 3 times before I get a headache. It's by far a lot less re-rideable than swarm due to roughness but I'd say it's less intense than inferno at night. I did 2 consecutive rides on front and back row and felt a bit ill afterwards.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I'll second that. Zacspins and Reverchon spinning mice are the only coasters I can think of where the forces make them too intense to be fun. Of course, there's loads of old knackers where 'rough' can be mistaken for 'intense' (Ultimate, Nash, Bandit etc.. ) but if we're talking about forcefulness alone then it's the spinny things that get me. Yuck!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I have reservations about saying this, but I find Voyage to be pretty close to 'too' intense. Not intense like, any huge G-forces (although it's no pushover), but it's relentlessly long, fast, shakey, fast, and with a crazy mix of forces throughout. Last time I rode (2016) the break run was so welcome when we finally got there. I love the ride, but I'm not sure I could do more than a couple of laps back-to-back.

The Zac Spins are also a solid shout too. A bad ride on one those can be as bad as it gets.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I actually struggled on Lech Coaster at the CF live last year. I did 3 consecutive rides in our ERT session and it near enough wrote me off for the rest of the day!

Second this. It's not intense in that it hurts, but I found it pretty draining, especially if you do any consecutive rides on it.

Reverchon spinning wild mice are similar for me too. I'm not great with spinning rides (though spinning coasters are usually fine). Like Lech, I didn't find it intense to the point of pain, but it's pretty draining and took me a bit of time to recover.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I'd agree on Lech. 3-4 rides was the most I could manage in a row without starting to feel ill. The back was particularly intense, though not painful in any way.
The only other coaster I can think of that was a bit too intense to be fun is the Batman B&M invert. Again, not painful but I wouldn't want to ride it loads of time in a row.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'd agree on Lech. 3-4 rides was the most I could manage in a row without starting to feel ill. The back was particularly intense, though not painful in any way.
The only other coaster I can think of that was a bit too intense to be fun is the Batman B&M invert. Again, not painful but I wouldn't want to ride it loads of time in a row.
The Batmans are the only ride I can recall that 2 in a row was enough for me.
I have reservations about saying this, but I find Voyage to be pretty close to 'too' intense. Not intense like, any huge G-forces (although it's no pushover), but it's relentlessly long, fast, shakey, fast, and with a crazy mix of forces throughout. Last time I rode (2016) the break run was so welcome when we finally got there. I love the ride, but I'm not sure I could do more than a couple of laps back-to-back.
Kind of, I could semi marathon The Voyage, but after 3 or 4 I would think about it. The seat divider was my issue with it.

No issues with anything else mentioned so far though. Zacspins are just garbage, normally not particularly intense, just crap.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Voyage is an interesting one as it's super intense, which is great, but it's also a little bit rough. Not massively rough, there's much rougher out there (there's much rougher in the same park to be fair!) but when that little bit of shaky-shaky is combined with all that force and speed, not to mention a ride time of about 2 and a half hours, it does become a bit of an endurance test to say the least.
I also think the weather can play a big part. Virtually anything can be too intense if it's hot, humid, sweaty and you've just trekked across a massive, hilly park to get there!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I also think the weather can play a big part. Virtually anything can be too intense if it's hot, humid, sweaty and you've just trekked across a massive, hilly park to get there!
I don't often agree with you knobchops, but damn, this is so true. Still can't believe we were so meh about American Thunder, was the heat affecting us for sure.

Kalistos

Mega Poster
The Helix on 6F Magic Mountain's Goliath is definitely too intense. It's the only ride that left me with a painful eye for the rest of the day.

Talking about spinners, there is also this insane spinning wild mouse in La Feria de Chapultepec in Mexico. No trim, free spin, I've never experienced such a thing ever since !

wakey1512

Roller Poster
i305 is too intense for me, makes my eyes stream!

I do agree with those who mention the reverchon spinning coasters. The Maurer spinning are a lot easier on the laterals.

Also a mention for the Vekoma boomerangs - the backwards loop feels very intense going in

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Tornado at Bakken. That turn after the launch. Just so horrid. Pretty sure it stabbed my earring into my neck. Turned down a reride.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Whilst the rest of the ride is pretty tame (and honestly a little boring), the pretzel on Superman Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Great America was vile. I was fine with the ones one at Superman at Over Georgia, Manta at Seaworld Orlando and Flying Dinosaur at USJ. Just something about the one at Great America made it awful for me.