What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

PhantaDad2017

Roller Poster
I noticed on Friday afternoon, when looking through the upper right peephole at the model, which has been marked with a red arrow some time ago, that there are huge letters "Tor 2", "Gate 2", in the upper right background, behind the launcher and right of the wing symbols. Tor 1 is already known as the huge opening in front of Maus au Chocolat, visible in some pictures taken from the Berlin entrance area. Assuming the model shows the track launching to the left, there should be another huge factory gate (speculated to be an airship gate) in the border wall, separating Rookburgh from the Wuzetown indoor area. A bit of "Tor 2" is also visible in the Instagram pictures linked here before.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Just made the mistake of clicking onto their Instagram page, what a train wreck. Was hoping the video would be something more than a blurry look of what we've seen already, but thank you for sharing nonetheless ;)

Hopefully the next video on here will be it testing or a video from the park. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That angle and track work reminds me in some sick way of Zamperla Volare. But i'm happy that's Vekoma .. Still feeling that pain riding Volare :D
If this turns out to ride like a Volare, then it might be one of the greatest catastrophes of mankind.

I'm sure it won't, but I am curious how it's going to feel in the tight corners.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Would be pretty hilarious if after almost three years of waiting this turns out to ride like a Volare

See, as much as I am excited for this project as a whole themed area, my hopes aren't that high for how Fly will ride. It's still a Vekoma at the end of the day. I can't shake the trauma of riding a Flying Dutchman from my mind! And whilst the newer Vekoma models certainly show improvement (Lech, Formula, newer SLCs) they still have that sicklyness and those jarring, tight transitions to me. I'm not won over by the new Vekoma...yet. Maybe this prototype will set the bar higher, I sure hope so!

bernatc22

Mega Poster
See, as much as I am excited for this project as a whole themed area, my hopes aren't that high for how Fly will ride. It's still a Vekoma at the end of the day. I can't shake the trauma of riding a Flying Dutchman from my mind! And whilst the newer Vekoma models certainly show improvement (Lech, Formula, newer SLCs) they still have that sicklyness and those jarring, tight transitions to me. I'm not won over by the new Vekoma...yet. Maybe this prototype will set the bar higher, I sure hope so!
I do agree we shoud all be at least skeptical on how this will ride. Nonetheless, if Vekoma has chosen to profile F.L.Y's track ANYTHING like Lech coaster, Phantasialand has a winner in their hands. And, if that does not happen, they will still have a worlds-first in their hands, which is always a plus, if I may say.

Matt N

CF Legend
Now that's a controversial opinion! Admittedly I haven't ridden a new Vekoma thrill coaster, but I've always heard that the likes of Lech and Formula are insanely smooth and rank very highly in most peoples' lists!

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Now that's a controversial opinion! Admittedly I haven't ridden a new Vekoma thrill coaster, but I've always heard that the likes of Lech and Formula are insanely smooth and rank very highly in most peoples' lists!

They certainly are smoother. However they are super intense and compact which isn't always the best combination in terms of enjoyability for alot of people.

Matt N

CF Legend
They certainly are smoother. However they are super intense and compact which isn't always the best combination in terms of enjoyability for alot of people.
I certainly understand that, as I'm not huge on extreme positive g-forces myself. I was just surprised at the comments about jarring transitions as I always hear about how smooth new Vekomas are!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I could say the same about our Intamin Taron, not every transition is smooth... But that's the way I like it. :D

At a risk of sounding like a fanboy, which transitions in Taron aren't smooth? I'd say every transition is smooth?

There is the turnaround just before the mini airtime hills towards the end which has developed a rattle, but the transition in and out of that turn is fine imo

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
There is the turnaround just before the mini airtime hills towards the end which has developed a rattle, but the transition in and out of that turn is fine imo

Well, since you immediately come to that transition in your mind, that means I am (particularly) right. Haha. It was that transition that I had in mind. Even though, I like that transition but some other people don't. Just like the vibration in the last curve when you hit the brakes. Some people like that some people don't.

It's not a shame if you're a fanboy, I'm one too but sshht don't tell anyone. ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Taron is practically buttery smooth compared to most of the coasters we ride on a regular basis

Smiler, Saw, Speed, Collossus, Grand National, Infusion and so on and so fourth... The list could go on. Maybe we just work to different scales but to me last time I rode it, a few months ago, Taron was silky smooth. I actually found Helix to have more of a rattle.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I mean every coaster is rough as long as you ask enough people about it. The key is to make the unavoidable vibrations flow with the ride itself and Taron does that wonderfully. People have odd expectations about the smoothness of any rail-mounted vehicle, and fair enough, most people aren't engineers.