What's new

WDW Magic Kingdom | Tron Lightcycle Power Run | Vekoma Motorbike Coaster | 2023

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
After doing a search, it looks like there was a topic regarding Disney's announcements from almost two years ago now, but no dedicated topic to Walt Disney World's Tron coaster, so here it is. If the mods care enough to shuffle some posts around or merge some topics, go for it.

We don't know a ton about this ride (or I live under a rock), but I think it's safe to assume it's a Vekoma that's either similar to or a clone of the ride in Shanghai Disneyland (again, chances are that I just live under a rock). They've been in the dirt pushing phase for quite a few months now, but with various rides in the area closing to allow for new alignments and heavy machinery access, it looks like things might literally begin picking up before we know it.

Here's a bunch of Bioreconstruct's latest tweets regarding the progress thus far:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^You know what? I've never paid too much attention to Tron, or Shanghai Disneyland (or the whole of Asia if I'm being honest), but I recently watched some video of the Tron coaster and... wow, it looks epic!
Are we expecting this one to be as good? And do we have an approximate opening date? Just the year will do for now...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of information released regarding what the ride will be exactly, but the concept art does look fairly similar to the one in Shanghai, complete with an outdoor section:

TRON-Lightcycle-Power-Run-Rollercoaster.jpg

The train and Tomorrowland Speedway are currently closed, although according to that article the speedway is scheduled to reopen this summer. No word on when the train will reopen, but considering that it looks like it runs near the building, it probably won't reopen until the coaster does in 2021. More info can be found in this article:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/magic-kingdom/tron-lightcycle-power-run-rollercoaster.htm

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah, it'll be a clone. The coaster itself seems a little tame but therefore fitting for Disney's audience. Hopefully they'll add some more lighting effects to it, and it'll be nice to see it in English instead of a language I can't begin to fathom!
And the Daft Punk soundtrack is <3

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Thanks gents. Suddenly got the urge to go back to Florida in the next couple of years. I actually like Booster bikes! :)

peep

CF Legend
After doing a search, it looks like there was a topic regarding Disney's announcements from almost two years ago now, but no dedicated topic to Walt Disney World's Tron coaster, so here it is.

Yeah I think I just assumed we already had one too.

I found the ride in Shanghai to be a bit underwhelming (but my expectations were unreasonable) but this will go down extremely well in Orlando. The way they link this up to rest of the Tomorrowland still intrigues me and it sitting next to Space Mountain is weird. Look forward to more bioreconstruct tweets over the next few years.

Matt N

CF Legend
I reckon Tron in Orlando will be fantastic; Shawn Sanbrooke had the Shanghai version in his last top 10 list, and everyone who's ridden Tron in Shanghai seems to rate it really highly!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I reckon Tron in Orlando will be fantastic; Shawn Sanbrooke had the Shanghai version in his last top 10 list, and everyone who's ridden Tron in Shanghai seems to rate it really highly!
I thought it was incredible, actually. Sure it's a family coaster, but even on a bit of flat land it'd be a good one at that. The look of the light cycles, the sounds, the indoor effects, all make it a really cool experience. Especially at night - it's something else at night.

Only drawback is that it won't be quite so exclusive now...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^At least this version will be in English so we can understand the story better.

How come there is a question mark after Vekoma in the title? What other manufacturer would it be?

peep

CF Legend
At least this version will be in English so we can understand the story better.

There's not that much of a story (from what I can remember) and everything is translated via text under the images so there's not really much of a difference.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^At least this version will be in English so we can understand the story better.

How come there is a question mark after Vekoma in the title? What other manufacturer would it be?
Zierer? Intamin? Maurer Sohne? We can assume Vekoma, but we don't know for certain, hence the question mark.

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit I'm quite excited for this ride, too; Tron in Shanghai looks brilliant, and as much as it might not be a common opinion, I personally felt that Magic Kingdom, while a very nice park, lacked a truly standout attraction when I visited for the first time in April. I think this might potentially give them one!