What's new

Biggest Disappointment...

Matt N

CF Legend
Right, now I've had time to think about it a bit, I think I have another one for this following my recent Florida trip, even though it's not a coaster. And I apologise in advance, as I feel it may ruffle a few feathers:
Flight of Passage
Now don't get me wrong; Flight of Passage is a very, very good ride. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I thought it had some very clever tricks. However, despite having avoided spoilers of the ride experience itself before riding, I had heard a number of reviews that hyped it up tremendously. Things I'd heard included:
  • "I've never cried on theme park rides before, but I shed actual tears on this one"
  • "It is very easy to forget when you're on it that it's just a simulator; I thought I was actually there experiencing it at points"
  • "Best ride in the world"
  • "Flight of Passage > Anything else that mankind could ever create"
  • "There's only one problem with this ride; that it has to end"
There are plenty of others, but you get the idea; the hype surrounding Flight of Passage has been enormous since the day it opened. Bigger than the Harry Potter rides at Universal, bigger than anything I've ever seen. So naturally, having heard this extremely high praise, I went in with sky-high expectations, even though I knew very little about what the ride actually did during its video. And while I enjoyed Flight of Passage, I did come off it a bit underwhelmed after all the hype I'd heard surrounding it. As I said above; I liked it a lot. I thought it felt quite exhilarating and I thought it had some very clever tricks up its sleeves. I just didn't think it was some out-of-body, life changing experience like some seem to. There are multiple dark rides I prefer and there were multiple rides I preferred within Disney.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Ravine Flyer II
Was always so highly regarded, considered a top 10 (sometimes higher), and POVs did look great. This one may just have the unfortunate and cant be helped issue of age, but when I finally got on it which was 2017, it sucked. It was so rough that even in front, I was left with a splitting headache. Grabbed some advil and sat down for like an hour. I like a rough woodie too, but wow. It also had little airtime. Also was a bit more sluggish/less intense than I expected. I know wood is temperamental, age doesnt help and with a park so small IDK how often upkeep is. But yeah prob my biggest let down. Expected top tier woodie caliber and a great ride I'd want to marathon in an empty park. Got beat up, with little air and a sluggish pace that I rode 3 times before leaving.

Superman (Bizarro) SFNE
Again this one I may have simply waited too long (2014) but same as above, was expecting a top 3 coaster, a fast airtime filled twister layout and it was good...but eh, the air was less than I heard/expected and it too was a tad sluggish. I mean not actually but I was thinking it'd be a relentless pace and deff it wasn't quite that. Restraints were not good either.

Diamondback
Again, always heard this is one of the best if not best B&M hypers, got multiple rides on a warm day, eh...I was already expecting floater air so thats not it, I just didnt even get much of that.

Those are probably the biggest. I cant call it a disappointment because I still loved it, but I did have a less than ideal ride on Boulder Dash. Was fast with lots of air, but there were some hills were it was mild and one or two there was little and I was like "wait what that should've been epic" but it was a cool (58 degrees) overcast/occasionally drizzly day so that's not ideal weather for a woodie, and I only got one ride because GP flubbed the day (hate to say that but in this case they really did). Im going to NJ this July and will prob pop up to CT to ride again properly. It was awesome, just I expected ejector on basically every hill, I always heard that "sometimes you barely have landed back in your seat before you're out again" and I remember the CoasterForce POVs in the day where I could physically see him floating! So I expected that and didnt quite get it, but willing to blame an early morning ride in cool rainy weather. Its shot at redemption is this year
There's others that have been less than expected: Montu, Banshee, Raven, basically all the Kennywood classics but nothing I'd say was a major drop in expectations, let alone a disappointment.

Oh and I wont chagrin anyone's opinion. These things are not always consistent, esp over time, and we all have different experiences and opinions.
Except whoever said Phoenix was terrible. That boggles my mind lol Every ride I ever got on it, morning, afternoon, way late night, cooler, warmer, over the years, without fail was airtime on every hill, often ejector sometimes standing.
Sure, its technically a small not stat impressive ride that benefits from such open restraints but...well that's the ride. Cant judge it otherwise. Sucks if ya had a bad ride(s) on it but that would seem to be the minority, dont think Ive ever heard anyone actually find it lacking and meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niles

Giga Poster
twisted colossus
MY first RMC, and while it was a good coaster it did not wow me like i thought it would, what disappointed me was mainly that i got to ride it 5 times throughout the day meaning i had 10 chances to duel, of those times only once were the trains close, and by close i mean the back row and the front row were across from one another so never really got a good duel.

It also had to compete with ghost rider which was then my new favourite coaster and i had no hype for that going in, unlike this were the hype was strong so that probably influenced me to.

Bartzabel

Roller Poster
Two hypers that disappointed me
1. Diamondback: I've always heard that this was the best B&M hyper out there from enthusiasts and it was hyped up hard by KI fanboys, but honestly this ride was average. It's a fun ride for sure, but the airtime was meh and it had a pretty bad rattle. Other B&M's like Behemoth, Goliath (SFOG/La Ronde) and Nitro, for example, are much better and intense. I rode Diamondback summer 2018.
2. Intimidator: I knew this ride was already trimmed to death, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I went in summer 2018 as well and this was probably the weakest hyper I've been on. The trims were on and it hit hard and I got very little airtime. For sure the weakest of the three B&M hypers CF built from 2008-2010. Hopefully, they eased up on the trims because it does have the potential to be a great hyper, but as of now, it's one of my least favourites.

Snoo

The Legend
Ravine Flyer II
Was always so highly regarded, considered a top 10 (sometimes higher), and POVs did look great. This one may just have the unfortunate and cant be helped issue of age, but when I finally got on it which was 2017, it sucked. It was so rough that even in front, I was left with a splitting headache. Grabbed some advil and sat down for like an hour. I like a rough woodie too, but wow. It also had little airtime. Also was a bit more sluggish/less intense than I expected. I know wood is temperamental, age doesnt help and with a park so small IDK how often upkeep is. But yeah prob my biggest let down. Expected top tier woodie caliber and a great ride I'd want to marathon in an empty park. Got beat up, with little air and a sluggish pace that I rode 3 times before leaving.

Superman (Bizarro) SFNE
Again this one I may have simply waited too long (2014) but same as above, was expecting a top 3 coaster, a fast airtime filled twister layout and it was good...but eh, the air was less than I heard/expected and it too was a tad sluggish. I mean not actually but I was thinking it'd be a relentless pace and deff it wasn't quite that. Restraints were not good either.

Diamondback
Again, always heard this is one of the best if not best B&M hypers, got multiple rides on a warm day, eh...I was already expecting floater air so thats not it, I just didnt even get much of that.

Those are probably the biggest. I cant call it a disappointment because I still loved it, but I did have a less than ideal ride on Boulder Dash. Was fast with lots of air, but there were some hills were it was mild and one or two there was little and I was like "wait what that should've been epic" but it was a cool (58 degrees) overcast/occasionally drizzly day so that's not ideal weather for a woodie, and I only got one ride because GP flubbed the day (hate to say that but in this case they really did). Im going to NJ this July and will prob pop up to CT to ride again properly. It was awesome, just I expected ejector on basically every hill, I always heard that "sometimes you barely have landed back in your seat before you're out again" and I remember the CoasterForce POVs in the day where I could physically see him floating! So I expected that and didnt quite get it, but willing to blame an early morning ride in cool rainy weather. Its shot at redemption is this year
There's others that have been less than expected: Montu, Banshee, Raven, basically all the Kennywood classics but nothing I'd say was a major drop in expectations, let alone a disappointment.

I think these three thoughts were from legacy feelings. RFII was brilliant when it opened but has dropped significantly. Same with Superman and Diamondback. They were good in their prime but fillers now. Nothing to write home about, especially with better rides being built in the park since (short of Waldy).

Two hypers that disappointed me
1. Diamondback: I've always heard that this was the best B&M hyper out there from enthusiasts and it was hyped up hard by KI fanboys, but honestly this ride was average. It's a fun ride for sure, but the airtime was meh and it had a pretty bad rattle. Other B&M's like Behemoth, Goliath (SFOG/La Ronde) and Nitro, for example, are much better and intense. I rode Diamondback summer 2018.
2. Intimidator: I knew this ride was already trimmed to death, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I went in summer 2018 as well and this was probably the weakest hyper I've been on. The trims were on and it hit hard and I got very little airtime. For sure the weakest of the three B&M hypers CF built from 2008-2010. Hopefully, they eased up on the trims because it does have the potential to be a great hyper, but as of now, it's one of my least favourites.

You should never listen to KI fanboys. This was never the best Hyper out there tbh.. Behemoth at CW has had that claim for me for a while. But tbh.. since the Gigas have came out.. they just exist anymore.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Yeah Diamondback was shockingly mild, I did keep my expectations low too and still they were not met... and shame about Intimidator. Hope it will be less trimmed when I go, but not holding much hope. It's a damn shame these B&M hypers often are so trimmed. Was it at least the magnet kind? Nothing was as bad as coasting along and you heard that loud pop of break and feel allll the momentum die

That is what I figured Snoo. Especially with RFII, I get its an aging Woodie at a small park so probably declined. I really did kick myself for all the times I've been to CP and never bothered to get out there earlier. It did look so spectacular in POVs and I see the potential. Yeah Superman I know was prob the s**t in the day, it cant be helped that bigger, better ones have come out and it has given up a bit. Again miffed I never went to the park earlier. Diamondback was just pathetic though. You're right should listen to enthusiasts purely for the info/help/advice they provide but ignore their coaster opinions, unless I know they generally align with me/are trustworthy.

MOD EDIT - Please don't double post, use the edit button - Pokemaniac

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartzabel

Roller Poster
Yeah Diamondback was shockingly mild, I did keep my expectations low too and still they were not met... and shame about Intimidator. Hope it will be less trimmed when I go, but not holding much hope. It's a damn shame these B&M hypers often are so trimmed. Was it at least the magnet kind? Nothing was as bad as coasting along and you heard that loud pop of break and feel allll the momentum die
Unfortunately no, it was the old school friction brakes that trim hard. Behemoth, Diamondback and Intimidator all have it, with Behemoth only using the first of three (the other two are pointless) Diamondback has one but it's used heavily and it's before the MCBR, and Intimidator just has it on full blast on 2/3 of the major airtime hills after the first turn to the right.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Unfortunately no, it was the old school friction brakes that trim hard. Behemoth, Diamondback and Intimidator all have it, with Behemoth only using the first of three (the other two are pointless) Diamondback has one but it's used heavily and it's before the MCBR, and Intimidator just has it on full blast on 2/3 of the major airtime hills after the first turn to the right.
OOF. Just awful. I can hear the sound in my head right now. Well, least I can keep expectations low...so it can only go up and at the least hopefully I wont have to add it to my most disappointed list ha

Snoo

The Legend
That is what I figured Snoo. Especially with RFII, I get its an aging Woodie at a small park so probably declined. I really did kick myself for all the times I've been to CP and never bothered to get out there earlier. It did look so spectacular in POVs and I see the potential. Yeah Superman I know was prob the s**t in the day, it cant be helped that bigger, better ones have come out and it has given up a bit. Again miffed I never went to the park earlier. Diamondback was just pathetic though. You're right should listen to enthusiasts purely for the info/help/advice they provide but ignore their coaster opinions, unless I know they generally align with me/are trustworthy.

Superman is just bad now a days. The restraints go up to my nipples. Like.. they're lapbars, not OTSR's. What are you doing Six Flags? Whats worse is I rode it with the good ol U bars which were great for airtime. Just a damn shame for how good the ride actually is.

Matt N

CF Legend
A shame those two hypers disappointed you; I couldn't imagine a B&M hyper being disappointing after Mako! That ride was insanely amazing, in my opinion! I know they definitely aren't for everyone as a ride type, but I personally love the one I've done!

On a slightly different note, even though I absolutely love the thing, I'm personally surprised that Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. Even though it's my #2, I seem to be one of the few who really loves it; a lot of people seem to come off underwhelmed these days. The hype surrounding it during the construction phase was enormous, but sadly, many seemed immensely disappointed in Icon when they finally rode it.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Superman is just bad now a days. The restraints go up to my nipples. Like.. they're lapbars, not OTSR's. What are you doing Six Flags? Whats worse is I rode it with the good ol U bars which were great for airtime. Just a damn shame for how good the ride actually is.
Those restraints were awful. It really is mind boggling yeah, why not just stay with the classic restraint? And Im not one to usually gripe about such a thing, but this case it deff held back the ride.

As for B&M Hypers….it seems they hit a lull in the middle. Older ones were good, Nitro was great (though it did get pretty lackluster when I last rode it years ago) and more current ones look great again, but in the middle they just got in a rut or something.

Tim H

Roller Poster
Those restraints were awful. It really is mind boggling yeah, why not just stay with the classic restraint? And Im not one to usually gripe about such a thing, but this case it deff held back the ride.

As for B&M Hypers….it seems they hit a lull in the middle. Older ones were good, Nitro was great (though it did get pretty lackluster when I last rode it years ago) and more current ones look great again, but in the middle they just got in a rut or something.

The classic restraints are banned because of an accident in 2004

wakey1512

Roller Poster
For me it’s thi13teen due to the massive hype involved. When news of the next secret weapon broke I remember being really excited about it and following it extensively. When the finished product was revealed I remember having a massive feeling of underwhelming. It is just a 40mph mine train ride with a drop gimmick. Ok on the face of it the ride isn’t BAD by any stretch but in proportion to the hype and the ‘secret weapon’ label I really was expecting something else. After the first ride the surprise factor is gone and the drop gimmick is predictable. That with the severely trimmed pre course makes it undesirable to ride and not worth the queue time.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Yeah Merlin really screwed up the marketing for Thirteen, they hyped it up as the scariest thing ever when really its just a fun family coaster with a cool drop track section.
Luckily i wasn't personally caught in the hype for it when it opened but i can see why people find it underwhelming.

My biggest disappointment was probably Silver Star, meh, meh..
So much speed, so little airtime and forces.. Not a bad ride but after Shambhala it felt so mediocre.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Went to Walibi Holland Wednesday. The last time I visited the park was in July 2003, so it was 16 years ago, when the park was still named Six Flags Holland. I remember it being a pretty decent park. I even thought it was slightly better than Six Flags Belgium was.

Right now, it must have been one of the biggest disappointment so far. The park has changed, but not in the good way. I think Walibi Holland in of the dullest parks I have been to past 5 years. The park wasn't crowded at all, but queues were very long, going up to 60 minutes due to terrible operations. The park had no atmosphere at all and was pretty bad maintained at some places. The park has several rides that are the same as the ones in the Belgian Walibi, but it just seems the Belgian versions are Always alot better.

Goliath is the only decent ride in the park and who knows Untamed. But still...the park left me very disappointed.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
What about Lost Gravity @KristofWB? I always seem to hear good things about that, so I'd be intrigued to know why you apparently didn't like it!

Lost Gravity was actually okay. I forgot this one, even though it was our first ride of the day. It was pretty forcefull, a bit rough at some points but overall enjoyable.

Matt N

CF Legend
Lost Gravity was actually okay. I forgot this one, even though it was our first ride of the day. It was pretty forcefull, a bit rough at some points but overall enjoyable.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, but I must say I'm surprised to hear that such a new Mack is rough!

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster

What’s different with the restraints now? I rode it when it was Bizarro and they seemed fine.

Also, Nitro is still excellent IF you catch it on a good day. Good ops, no trims.

Anyway, my disappointment: Wild Eagle. Just absolute dullsville after I’d hyped it up to myself. At least Gatekeeper has that cool first drop and looks pretty. Luckily Thunderhead being excellent made up for it.

B&M’s weaksaucery has been annoying for some time tbh

Last edited: