What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Madflex

Roller Poster
A friend of mine living in Pittsburgh sent me a news article today saying the ride won't open until July. Disappointing as I was going to try and visit the park in June.

Edit - here is the link https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stori...de-sets-record-before-it-even-opens/924675241

I sent the link to the park via Facebook and asked what it's all about and they replied:
„No, we have asked WPXI to remove that from the story. We are not sure where they came up with that as they never asked us before reporting it.“

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-01 um 15.38.23.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-01 um 15.38.23.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 32

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I heard from another local that news story about the ride opening in July was not official, just an unconfirmed rumor. The guy had no idea when it may be open but did seem to believe Memorial Day-ish is reasonable. I just hope its announced within the next couple of months

EDIT: Gah the curse of posting without reading, seems someone beat me to it.

Pear

Strata Poster
TVkGSgZ.jpg

Jstanich

Roller Poster
That’s interesting. I saw a pic yesterday somewhere of the big crane lifting the top of the lift hill into place. I drove by Kennywood today around noon and it wasn’t installed, but now it is? Don’t see why they would go through the process of lifting it into place but not bolt it up. Maybe a small fitment issue that they were able to take care of on site? Seems really weird to have to make the same lift twice.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
That’s interesting. I saw a pic yesterday somewhere of the big crane lifting the top of the lift hill into place. I drove by Kennywood today around noon and it wasn’t installed, but now it is? Don’t see why they would go through the process of lifting it into place but not bolt it up. Maybe a small fitment issue that they were able to take care of on site? Seems really weird to have to make the same lift twice.
That can be the case at times; raising a track into place, seeing it a bit off, and taking the track back down to build out other portions of the track to help create more rigidity in the structure, or even waiting for a temperature change to help in accounting for metal expansion/contraction.

Hangman is comin' down from the gallows, and I don't have very long...
Sorry, you're looking for the Renegade - Valleyfair construction thread. ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@Snoo had reached out to the park to ask on opening time, especially in light of the news article indicating a July opening. The park did not have an official ETA; so no indication of opening past June (while also no absolute confirmation). I'd imagine opening the coaster on time would be easy - the question is how the rest of the Steeler's Country area will work it's way in to opening, and if that's still on time as well.

Snoo

The Legend
@Snoo had reached out to the park to ask on opening time, especially in light of the news article indicating a July opening. The park did not have an official ETA; so no indication of opening past June (while also no absolute confirmation). I'd imagine opening the coaster on time would be easy - the question is how the rest of the Steeler's Country area will work it's way in to opening, and if that's still on time as well.

I will also note they weren't wishy washy about it either. The comment with Kennywood on opening was very straight forward and didn't sugarcoat details. That is the good thing about KW.. they don't want to or need to do that. They will be honest from start to finish. Always liked that about them, whether it be positive or negative.