What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Lofty

CF Legend
IAAPA has rebranded with a really modern look.
NEW-IAAPA_logo_2019.png

https://www.iaapa.org

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The only thing I would say is that that looks really misleading in terms of the acronym.

I read their tagline as the name, and so couldn't work out how they got one from the other. Not helped by the capital letters, I think.

Triangle/Circle thing with the IAAPA text looks good though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The only thing I would say is that that looks really misleading in terms of the acronym.

I read their tagline as the name, and so couldn't work out how they got one from the other. Not helped by the capital letters, I think.

Triangle/Circle thing with the IAAPA text looks good though.
I thought the exact same thing.

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't feel that that reads like the name of the business though? It's most definitely a tagline.

That's like saying this company is called 'I'm Lovin It' ;)
mcdonalds.jpg

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I guess at a quick look, with the same number of capital letters and the double-A, it can cause a bit of confusion? Didn't cause any confusion for me personally, but I can see how some might go 'huh?' at first

The triangle / circle thing is brilliant though!

Lofty

CF Legend
Another bit of news:

Six Flags are in a bit of deep water over the use of fingerprints and have been accused of scanning the fingerprints of a 14-year-old child without the permission of his mother.

The Illinois Supreme Court has ruled against Six Flags in a suit over its collection of fingerprints data from visitors.

The Biometric Information Privacy Act imposes strict rules on how companies can collect sensitive information, including fingerprints, and requires companies to obtain written consent before obtaining the data.

Stacy Rosenbach claimed that the theme park fingerprinted her 14-year-old son when he picked up a season pass to the park on a group trip.

The mother brought the suit against the company as she did not give permission for them to collect and store her son’s fingerprints.

However, Six Flags argued that they are not liable since no harm has been done. The Illinois Supreme Court were not convinced by this argument, ruling that: “a person need not have sustained actual damage beyond violation of his or her rights under the Act.”

This is one of the first cases surrounding privacy of biometric information, and very few states even have laws protecting this data, as Gizmodo points out. Facebook has also been in the firing line over its automated photo-tagging tool.

Biometrics have long been predicted as a trend to watch, but have come under fire in the past. Both Walt Disney World and Universal Resort Orlando use fingerprint scans on park entry.

Source: https://blooloop.com/link/six-flags-biometric/

I feel this is just the start of many, many, MANY cases just like this within the theme park industry as both Universal and Disney have been doing this form of ID check for a number of years now.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Another bit of news:

Six Flags are in a bit of deep water over the use of fingerprints and have been accused of scanning the fingerprints of a 14-year-old child without the permission of his mother.

The Illinois Supreme Court has ruled against Six Flags in a suit over its collection of fingerprints data from visitors.

The Biometric Information Privacy Act imposes strict rules on how companies can collect sensitive information, including fingerprints, and requires companies to obtain written consent before obtaining the data.

Stacy Rosenbach claimed that the theme park fingerprinted her 14-year-old son when he picked up a season pass to the park on a group trip.

The mother brought the suit against the company as she did not give permission for them to collect and store her son’s fingerprints.

However, Six Flags argued that they are not liable since no harm has been done. The Illinois Supreme Court were not convinced by this argument, ruling that: “a person need not have sustained actual damage beyond violation of his or her rights under the Act.”

This is one of the first cases surrounding privacy of biometric information, and very few states even have laws protecting this data, as Gizmodo points out. Facebook has also been in the firing line over its automated photo-tagging tool.

Biometrics have long been predicted as a trend to watch, but have come under fire in the past. Both Walt Disney World and Universal Resort Orlando use fingerprint scans on park entry.

Source: https://blooloop.com/link/six-flags-biometric/

I feel this is just the start of many, many, MANY cases just like this within the theme park industry as both Universal and Disney have been doing this form of ID check for a number of years now.
No idea if it's because of similar issues, but Hong Kong Disneyland got rid of their fingerprint scanners about 18 months ago in favour of the more old-school pictures on annual passes.

Lofty

CF Legend
No idea if it's because of similar issues, but Hong Kong Disneyland got rid of their fingerprint scanners about 18 months ago in favour of the more old-school pictures on annual passes.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - it's better to put in an alternative before **** hits the fan as opposed to fire fighting once it kicks up a fuss. Saying this, what is the mentality for pursuing things like this in Hong Kong/China? I feel that the USA is a prime suspect of countries that would have issues like this.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - it's better to put in an alternative before :emoji_poop: hits the fan as opposed to fire fighting once it kicks up a fuss. Saying this, what is the mentality for pursuing things like this in Hong Kong/China? I feel that the USA is a prime suspect of countries that would have issues like this.
The attitudes in Hong Kong and Mainland China are VERY different when it comes to perceived surveillance/control. In China, pretty much your every move is followed to some degree, and very few people seem to have a problem with it; it's just the way it is.

Hong Kong prides itself on NOT being as controlled as China. Not having any Internet sites blocked is the most obvious example, but it filters down to other stuff as well.

Matt N

CF Legend
In other news, some interesting rumours have come out regarding developments within Dubai Parks & Resorts:
https://themeparkuniversity.com/the...d-other-bad-news-for-dubai-parks-and-resorts/
If you don't want to read the article, here's what I essentially got from it (please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.):
  • Dubai Parks & Resorts lost a total of $302million in 2018, which is just shy of $1million per day.
  • Six Flags Dubai has potentially been completely cancelled.
  • Bollywood Park may potentially revert to a pay-per-ride ticketing system.
  • Most employment within the resort will revert to seasonal roles hired by a third-party vendor.
Now, if you ask me, some of these rumours sound very surprising. Bear in mind that these are only rumours at this point, but I would personally be a little surprised if they have completely given up on Six Flags Dubai as it's already half built.

Certainly some interesting rumours to digest, though; I guess we'll have to wait for Dubai Parks & Resorts to announce something officially...
P.S. The source for these rumours is Theme Park University.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
In interesting if fairly irrelevant news the excellent looking Vekoma looper Black Hole Express from Kumdori Land in South Korea has resurfaced in Indonesia at a park (mainly a water park) called Kumdori Land.
Kumdori 2.jpg
Here is the ride in all its glory back in its Korean days
Kumdori.JPG
And here is the ride currently stored outside Atlantis land
Atlantis Land also just opened the smaller Vekoma indoor coaster from Kumdori Land and placed it outdoors. Yet still called it Dark Coaster? go figure.

For those so inclined Black Hole Express can be seen being stored here
https://www.google.com/maps/@-7.2514536,112.799432,290m/data=!3m1!1e3

Lovely to see a ride come back from the dead.

davidm

Strata Poster
Screamscape reporting that Scandia in LA might be about to vanish!
California - (1/30/19) Screamscape sources tell us that the Scandia Fun Park in Ontario, CA is rumored to be closing down for good very soon. How soon? If the rumors are true, then this Sunday, February 3rd is expected to be the last day, so if you are in the area you might want to head on over for one final visit. After it closes, the rumor goes on to state that the site is being sold and the park to be demolished.
http://screamscape.com/html/usa_news.htm#CA

#don't-care-got-the-creds (actually do care, that's a shame)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
In other news, some interesting rumours have come out regarding developments within Dubai Parks & Resorts:
https://themeparkuniversity.com/the...d-other-bad-news-for-dubai-parks-and-resorts/
If you don't want to read the article, here's what I essentially got from it (please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.):
  • Dubai Parks & Resorts lost a total of $302million in 2018, which is just shy of $1million per day.
  • Six Flags Dubai has potentially been completely cancelled.
  • Bollywood Park may potentially revert to a pay-per-ride ticketing system.
  • Most employment within the resort will revert to seasonal roles hired by a third-party vendor.
Now, if you ask me, some of these rumours sound very surprising. Bear in mind that these are only rumours at this point, but I would personally be a little surprised if they have completely given up on Six Flags Dubai as it's already half built.

Certainly some interesting rumours to digest, though; I guess we'll have to wait for Dubai Parks & Resorts to announce something officially...
P.S. The source for these rumours is Theme Park University.
I don't think it's half completed.
Also the losses don't surprise me considering that most trip reports or videos talk about parks being empty. I feel like they've tried to create Orlando in one go when it's taken decades for Orlando to become the theme park destination that it is.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I just noticed that the nearest theme park to me, Gulliverlandia in Lignano Sabbiadoro, Italy has closed down for good after the 2018 season. While I can't find anything conclusive, their website has gone offline and the place is now listed as 'permanently closed' on Google.

https://rcdb.com/13348.htm

Not a big loss in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still glad I finally got to visit in July. If not else, their log flume was great for a park of its size.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I just noticed that the nearest theme park to me, Gulliverlandia in Lignano Sabbiadoro, Italy has closed down for good after the 2018 season. While I can't find anything conclusive, their website has gone offline and the place is now listed as 'permanently closed' on Google.

https://rcdb.com/13348.htm

Not a big loss in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still glad I finally got to visit in July. If not else, their log flume was great for a park of its size.
The real question is, now what's closest?