What's new

Favourite coaster in Florida?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but talking about some Florida creds in the Last Cred Review topic gave me the idea to ask you guys; what is your favourite coaster in Florida? It is the theme park capital of the world in the eyes of many, and it has many brilliant roller coasters within it, in my opinion, but which one is your personal favourite?

As you guys can probably guess from the ride listed in my Best Coaster tab and the general way I've talked about this ride on these forums, my vote goes to Mako at SeaWorld Orlando! In my opinion, it's a simply breathtaking ride, with by far the best airtime of any coaster I've ever ridden, a great sensation of speed, a glass smooth ride and it's just generally an absolutely breathtaking ride, if you ask me; still my number 1!

But which coaster do you like best in Florida?

lachlan

Mega Poster
Kumba... but I'm missing Mako, Incredible Hulk and anything Disney so it's maybe not the "best" but it's my favourite

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Haven't been to Florida in over 10 years so this might be an outdated opinion as I've not ridden any of the coasters built after 2007, but my vote goes to Revenge of the Mummy. Ok so the "coaster" aspect of the ride is not anything to write home about, but the combination of coaster, dark ride and no-expense-spared SFX show (not to mention lots and lots of FIRE!) makes it an amazing all-round attraction, the epitome of what Universal do best.
I'm assuming that the ride hasn't changed in the last decade... does anyone know if all the pyrotechnics and animatronics still work? o_O
Vote for best coastery type coaster still goes to Montu but as I said, I've got quite a bit of catching up to do so that could well change once I get round to visiting Florida again (looking at you, Mako).

Edward M

Strata Poster
Favorite would certainly be Kumba with Space Mountain not too far behind. Those two hold a special place in my heart <3. The best coaster would be a different story, probably either Mako or Mine Blower, though they’re drastically different experiences.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Mako, easily. I was really expecting Mine Blower to top it but honestly I found both Funspot woodies quite forgettable.

A more personal, nostalgic favourite for me would be Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, though sadly I feel it's days are numbered.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
1. Mako
2. Montu
3. Kumba
4. Manta
5. Cheetah Hunt
6. Incredible Hulk
7. Sheikra
8. Dueling Dragons - Blue - ima sucker for zero g rolls on inverts
9. Dueling Dragons - Red
10. Kraken

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Was it really that good? I've never really heard much about it, so I would be interested to hear your opinion!
It was in my top 10 wood for a while. DBH was worth making the trek to ride... but sadly not worth saving. It was a great ride, it was smooth, it had good air and a fun layout... but it was a big ride that seemed to have some dead/wasted space... so when Boomers closed it was a safe bet the ride wouldn't be moved. Any park wanting a wood coaster would have been far better off buying something new from GG/GCI and getting a ride that better used it space. But DBH was a lot of fun and despite it being +3 hours from my house (for a place that was ONLY the coaster and some mini golf...) I still made multiple visits to ride it. Its flaw was it wasnt in Orlando... and people going to Miami/Fort Lauderdale weren't interested in a one-off coaster. Maybe if Boomers had turned into a full scale park, it might still be around... Anyone who visited the place knew they had the room for massive expansion. Last year when I was in the area I drove past where Boomers was, now its a mall/condos :/

TilenB

Strata Poster
It was in my top 10 wood for a while. DBH was worth making the trek to ride... but sadly not worth saving. It was a great ride, it was smooth, it had good air and a fun layout... but it was a big ride that seemed to have some dead/wasted space... so when Boomers closed it was a safe bet the ride wouldn't be moved. Any park wanting a wood coaster would have been far better off buying something new from GG/GCI and getting a ride that better used it space. But DBH was a lot of fun and despite it being +3 hours from my house (for a place that was ONLY the coaster and some mini golf...) I still made multiple visits to ride it. Its flaw was it wasnt in Orlando... and people going to Miami/Fort Lauderdale weren't interested in a one-off coaster. Maybe if Boomers had turned into a full scale park, it might still be around... Anyone who visited the place knew they had the room for massive expansion. Last year when I was in the area I drove past where Boomers was, now its a mall/condos :/

I still beat myself over not knowing about the ride when we went to Miami with my family in early 2011. It closed down for good two months later. Still one of my biggest coaster regrets, next to never riding Sierra Tonante, which I saw in person 2 times, before it got demolished in 2007.

To stay on topic, my favourite is also Kumba, though it has to be noted I've only done 4 Floridian coasters, all from BGT on that same trip.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
I still beat myself over not knowing about the ride when we went to Miami with my family in early 2011. It closed down for good two months later. Still one of my biggest coaster regrets, next to never riding Sierra Tonante, which I saw in person 2 times, before it got demolished in 2007.

To stay on topic, my favourite is also Kumba, though it has to be noted I've only done 4 Floridian coasters, all from BGT on that same trip.
What about Montu?

Snoo

The Legend
Mine Blower.

I'd say Montu is my #2 behind it followed by Manta/Kumba/Kraken in no specific order.

Mako just doesn't deliver IMO. I've ridden more divisive Hypers just this year which I felt had more pop and fun then Mako unfortunately.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I was interested to know if there was anyone else other than @Snoo who prefers Mine Blower to Mako and everything else in Florida?

Snoo

The Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I was interested to know if there was anyone else other than @Snoo who prefers Mine Blower to Mako and everything else in Florida?
Speaking with Taylor from CoasterStudios as we rode together, he was also a fan of it more then most in Florida in general. His tastes are more aligned to myself however, which does not help most good coasters (B&M) in Florida tbh.

As those rides don't have intense, airtime filled (flojector to ejector), experiences.. it can be tough to compare. I mean just looking at my top rides, you can tell why I loved Mine Blower so much and the others less. That's not saying they're not good in their own right as I did like Mako and Busch and IoA.. ect ect.

Matt N

CF Legend
Speaking with Taylor from CoasterStudios as we rode together, he was also a fan of it more then most in Florida in general. His tastes are more aligned to myself however, which does not help most good coasters (B&M) in Florida tbh.

As those rides don't have intense, airtime filled (flojector to ejector), experiences.. it can be tough to compare. I mean just looking at my top rides, you can tell why I loved Mine Blower so much and the others less. That's not saying they're not good in their own right as I did like Mako and Busch and IoA.. ect ect.
Ah right OK. Definitely doesn't surprise me that Taylor likes it, but I do seem to remember him saying to someone in the comments that Mako was still his favourite Florida coaster. Thanks for the info @Snoo!