What's new

SeaWorld San Diego | Emperor | B&M Dive Coaster | 2022

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So this was the last one in the info I was told several months back, and I didnt believe it. Granted it was a wing, but it was stated it was going to be a large B&M coaster with a rework of the shark exhibit. This park still won't be one I rush to, not by a long shot.

Also, SFMM and SWSD are not even remotely close to each other. Demographics, population, everything. It may look close on a map, but it definitely is not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tbarnesarc

Roller Poster
I'll say, I'm excited for this as I live in OC between SFFM and SWSD. I agree with @tomahawk as those two parks might as well be in different states. On a good day it may take a 5-6 hour drive to get from one to the other. It will be nice to have an B&M dive machine in Socal. Stoked to get that cred.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
Well, I didn't expect that. I'm happy to see more of these smaller dive machines being built, they're really fun - I just wish Deep Blue Creative would come up with a new concept as opposed to slapping the Mako name on it.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Do people enjoy these mini dives more than their larger counterparts? I have heard a lot more positive reviews about the European dive coasters than the American ones, even Valkyria.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
I live in LA. On a good day, SD is about 3 hours south, and SFMM is about 40 min north. So about a 4 hour separation... not sure where you get 5-6 hours on a good day. With traiffic, that could be true.

Even with the distance between them, advertising will hit the entire SoCal market, so everyone is going to hear about this dive coaster. Not to mention (as I have before) Knott's has their own they've already more or less called a dive coaster... and with a much steeper drop. From a marketing perspective, it'd be ridiculous for SFMM to get another dive coaster, even if it is a record breaker.

Then again, SFMM has been known to make strange decisions that make little sense to me before, so I suppose who knows?

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I'm getting incredibly bored with B&M.

The up and coming manufacturers are pushing boundaries, and the traditional Mack's and Intamins's types are reacting with new innovations.

I can see why parks go with B&M as they build an amazing quality product which will last an enternity, but aside from Hypers and the old school inverts, they're just boring coasters.

On reflection, I think this is more of a rant against B&M vest resraints than B&M as a manufacturer.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
90% of Valravn's flaw is it's vest.....

Also, I'm kinda.. annoyed about this announcement? (coaster-world problems?) having not been to SWSD since Manta's opening year, I just planned out my summer 2019 plans... with a stop at SWSD... and now they're getting a B&M, oh well, I'll still get Electric Eel and uh... the Skyline.....thing. haha

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The up and coming manufacturers are pushing boundaries, and the traditional Mack's and Intamins's types are reacting with new innovations.

I can see why parks go with B&M as they build an amazing quality product which will last an enternity, but aside from Hypers and the old school inverts, they're just boring coasters.

On reflection, I think this is more of a rant against B&M vest resraints than B&M as a manufacturer.
B&M is probably as conservative as it gets for roller coaster design. Very methodic, incremental, and... well... Swiss. :p

I do think there could have been a better announcement plan for the park chains as a whole, rather than laying the cards on the table all at once. How will discussions like these last without the suspense!?

Matt N

CF Legend

I can see where you're coming from, but I personally disagree. B&M are still my favourite manufacturer because you know that when you ride a B&M, you will (for the most part) be riding a smooth, yet thrilling coaster. For some reason or another, many of B&M's ride styles really resonate with me; I think that reason might be because they're very consistent, enjoyable coasters, in my opinion. They may not be inverting with lap bars and doing triple launch coasters with zero-g stalls, but I don't personally think they need to. As the saying goes; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.