What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Snoo

The Legend
Okay why is banshee above AFterburn?

Please reference:

Because Banshee is better than Afterburn.

Facts right here. Banshee it just more intense for me. Rode it a few weeks back and it just annihilated me. LOVED it, especially in the back. Afterburn does as well, but just not as sustained.

Some folks don't like Banshee for its raw power but it's what I want from my inverts and it delivers every single time.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Please reference:

Facts right here. Banshee it just more intense for me. Rode it a few weeks back and it just annihilated me. LOVED it, especially in the back. Afterburn does as well, but just not as sustained.

Some folks don't like Banshee for its raw power but it's what I want from my inverts and it delivers every single time.
Ah, I just want a whippy and relentless/smooth ride

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster

If “raw power” is what you love in an invert, I best hear that you LOVE Montu.

Personally, I like the g-force intensity on an invert, but nothing for me beats the pacing of Afterburn.

Snoo

The Legend
If “raw power” is what you love in an invert, I best hear that you LOVE Montu.

Personally, I like the g-force intensity on an invert, but nothing for me beats the pacing of Afterburn.

I love me some Montu. Most B&M inverts, even the ones that are a bit lackluster (such as Patriot), are still good rides. They definitely have an RMC factor to them.. none of them are BAD IMO, but some just fall short of others.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I love me some Montu. Most B&M inverts, even the ones that are a bit lackluster (such as Patriot), are still good rides. They definitely have an RMC factor to them.. none of them are BAD IMO, but some just fall short of others.
Great Bear is pretty bad, comparatively, as were the Dragons (RIP).
I also disagree about Banshee, the back row gave next to no variation, no negatives whatsoever and was just very repetitive positives. I love force, you know that, but there has to be variation. Front was a different beast and was great, not Montu or Nemesis great, but great nonetheless.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Utter arse water. Banshee is badass, wherever you sit. It's mahoosive, fast, smoother than the cream in a Twinkie, got a good layout that differs from the others, no MCBR, loads of force, some lovely floatiness over the top of those huge inversions, nice paint job, cool name. I mean... maybe some of y'all are just too picky? ;)

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
^Utter arse water. Banshee is badass, wherever you sit. It's mahoosive, fast, smoother than the cream in a Twinkie, got a good layout that differs from the offers, no MCBR, loads of force, some lovely floatiness over the top of those huge inversions, nice paint job, cool name. I mean... maybe some of y'all are just too picky? ;)
Sounds good to me @Howie!

I've ridden 5 B&M inverts, and I really liked 3 of them (Montu, Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno). The only 2 I'd say I wasn't a fan of were the two Dragon Challenges at IOA, although I never rode them duelling.

Anyway, on a more on topic note, my top coasters list has seen two minor changes since I last did it, and I think many of you might be supportive of one of them:
My top coasters need an update post-BPB, so let's jump right in with the top 10 (new in bold.):
The Top 10 (including explanation)
  1. Mako (SeaWorld Orlando) - This was my first B&M hyper, and wow! It blew me away! Before I had the opportunity to ride, I had very high expectations of it, but I kept thinking to myself from watching POVs of different B&M hypers; "What do they [coaster enthusiasts] all like so much? It's just a load of hills in a row! Where are the inversions?" But after that first ride on Mako, on the 23rd August 2016, in second row, I was wowed! The airtime was immense, with the drop really pulling me over with an immense moment of airtime. The hills all had an immense amount of airtime too. The ending also provided some nice twisty fun. When I read reviews online after riding, I was thinking "Trim? What trim? I couldn't notice any trim!" And it was so, so smooth! One of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. As soon as Mako ended, I just knew it was the best thing I'd ever ridden. Is that what you guys felt like when you first stepped off of El Toro, Lightning Rod, Taron and other highly rated coasters? In conclusion: best thing ever for me. Out of 39 coasters, this is my favourite.
  2. Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach) - Icon is just stunning! There's quite a bit of decent airtime on the ride, in my opinion, and I also feel that the ride has excellent pacing and some surprisingly intense moments! It's blissfully smooth too, in my opinion! The launches, while not packing as much initial burst as a hydraulic launch, still boost the train with decent force, in my opinion; the second launch especially is simply amazing! You're already going at a decent speed, and then it just blasts you forward with another huge speed boost; I love it! Besides, the launches merely act as a method of propulsion on Icon; I personally feel that Icon is more focused on an overall package than one element of the coaster, and if you ask me, it is one stunning coaster experience! Blackpool and Mack should be very proud of what they've accomplished with Icon, in my opinion!
  3. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa) - It's just like Nemesis but longer. What's not to love?
  4. SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa) - I was not expecting to like SheiKra as much as I did. It's such a great ride! It packs a punch, the drops are great, it's quite smooth for a 12 year old coaster and I just adore this ride! Fun fact for you guys: SheiKra is actually my Dad's number 1 coaster!
  5. The Swarm (Thorpe Park) - I love this attraction! It packs a punch, it's virtually Mako smooth, the seating position makes for an interesting ride experience, the theming is excellent and it's just a great ride. I don't really get all the hate for wing coasters, as Swarm is fantastic in my opinion. Although in a way, I am slightly worried that I've overrated the Swarm. I last rode in May 2015, so I may have to rejudge in 2018. A reride in May 2018 didn't change my opinion.
  6. Nemesis (Alton Towers) - Brlliance. Sheer brilliance is what this ride is. John Wardley is a genius. Where do I even start with Nemesis' awesomeness? It's still one of the most forceful and intense roller coasters I've ever ridden. For the first few years I rode, I actually came off Nemesis with a sort of dizzy/light-headed feeling which strangely, no ride other than Montu in 2016 has given me. Also, I love that the ride builds up speed as it goes on and is still going at the same speed it started at when it hits the brake run. It's incredibly smooth for a 23 year old coaster, as well! It does have a very slight rattle to it on some rides, but this is more than acceptable at the ride's age. There are no kinks, jolts or roughness whatsoever in the trackwork itself. In fact, I actually reckon I may have had a Mako smooth ride in July 2017, with no rattle whatsoever. It just glided forcefully along the track! It was great!
  7. The Smiler (Alton Towers) - This ride is seriously messed up, from the ton of inversions to the theme, and I like it! This coaster is actually quite intense, but in a different sort of way to rides like Nemesis and Montu. Rides like Nemesis and Montu are intense in a forceful way, whereas the Smiler is intense in a crazy/dizzying sort of way, if you get what I mean. Gerstlauer were actually very clever in how they designed the Smiler's layout, because every single inversion adds to the feeling of dizziness and disorientation you get during the ride. I have also not found the Smiler overly rough, just a bit rattly. The rattle is more noticeable than on the park's B&M coasters, but is nothing too unbearable. I did have a pretty rough back row ride, however. And don't forget the cobra roll exit. An exit from one of the dive loops has a pretty hard jolt, as well. If the ride is any rougher when I next ride, I may consider bumping it down a few spots, as I'm not a fan at all of rough coasters. A reride on Smiler in March 2018 was actually not that bad rattle-wise, so it maintains its #7 spot for now. One thing I do find interesting, however, is that I actually think Speed at Oakwood is smoother, and it's 7 years older than Smiler.
  8. The Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure) - The Hulk is a great ride! I like the launch, it packs a good force to it and the onboard audio is a great touch! An interesting note is that the ride was more rattly than I would have expected from a coaster that had literally reopened after retracking earlier in the month (when I rode), but was nothing unbearable.
  9. Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando) - I was pleasantly surprised with Kraken! It was not as rough as I was expecting and I actually thought that it was pretty fast and packing a good force when I rode!
  10. Wicker Man (Alton Towers) - Well, well, well... I think Wicker Man might possibly be one of the most surprising attractions I've ridden in a while! During its construction, I was expecting a similar level of thrill to Thirteen from this ride, but I remained cautiously optimistic. And I was right to, as Wicker Man is a fantastic ride! It's pretty wild, and actually quite forceful in portions, even if not quite as forceful as Megafobia! The ride also had 2 pretty good pops of airtime following the not-so-boring corner, even though the airtime is not as strong for me as Megafobia's. The reason I prefer this to Megafobia, though, is because; it's smoother, with more comfortable trains; the transitions are much better and more thrilling than Megafobia's and just because I think I enjoyed the ride just a little bit more than I enjoyed Megafobia. Overall, Wicker Man is absolutely fantastic, and it really makes me want to ride more GCIs in the future.
And now for my overall top 24. Yes, I know 24 is a strange number, but it's as far back as I've currently ranked my ridden coasters, so here goes (new in bold.):
My Top Coasters (Ranked as far back as I have currently ranked my count)
  1. Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
  2. Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  3. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  4. SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  5. The Swarm (Thorpe Park)
  6. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
  7. The Smiler (Alton Towers)
  8. The Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure)
  9. Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)
  10. Wicker Man (Alton Towers)
  11. Megafobia (Oakwood)
  12. Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  13. Stealth (Thorpe Park)
  14. Speed (Oakwood)
  15. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (Universal Studios Florida)
  16. Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park)
  17. Nickelodeon Streak (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  18. Oblivion (Alton Towers)
  19. Manta (SeaWorld Orlando)
  20. Galactica (Alton Towers)
  21. Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)
  22. Cheetah Hunt (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  23. Big Dipper (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  24. Revolution (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
The changes are in italics.
  1. Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
  2. Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  3. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  4. SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  5. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
  6. The Swarm (Thorpe Park)
  7. The Smiler (Alton Towers)
  8. The Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure)
  9. Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)
  10. Wicker Man (Alton Towers)
  11. Megafobia (Oakwood)
  12. Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  13. Stealth (Thorpe Park)
  14. Speed: No Limits (Oakwood)
  15. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (Universal Studios Florida)
  16. Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park)
  17. Nickelodeon Streak (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  18. Oblivion (Alton Towers)
  19. Manta (SeaWorld Orlando)
  20. Galactica (Alton Towers)
  21. Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)
  22. Cheetah Hunt (Busch Gardens Tampa)
  23. Big Dipper (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
So, yes; Nemesis is now ahead of The Swarm! I love them both, and they're very close to one another, in my opinion, but I had two really intense rides on Nemesis this summer which pushed it ahead! However, I am incredibly indecisive, so Swarm might be ahead again tomorrow! Note that I have also removed Revolution, as I'm no longer sure where I'd actually put it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^Utter arse water. Banshee is badass, wherever you sit. It's mahoosive, fast, smoother than the cream in a Twinkie, got a good layout that differs from the offers, no MCBR, loads of force, some lovely floatiness over the top of those huge inversions, nice paint job, cool name. I mean... maybe some of y'all are just too picky? ;)
That's not cream you cockwomble.
The back really didn't give any floatyness tho bud, the back end of the train thunders through every part of the layout excluding the bleh roll at the end.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Great Bear is pretty bad, comparatively, as were the Dragons (RIP).
My two rides on Great Bear were at night, and zipping around that hillside in the dark was pretty fantastic. Plus, there was a raccoon in the rafters of the station watching everyone in line exactly as if it were a Disney animatronic.
I’ve been on a lot of inverts now, and, as Snoo said, they’re all pretty fun, but if I had to pick a least one, it would be Great White as SWSA. It may be a clone, but it just felt a bit clunkier than any other I’ve ridden.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The donkey in a hat is real, my friend. Elusive and mysterious... but very real.
Your signature has never been more apt than today.
It's just incredibly fun. Throws you around in lots of exciting ways and has an onboard soundtrack to help out.
Yeah, this, it's great fun. I mean Jay is overhyping it a bit as it's definitely not a top 20 ride but it is a fantastic experience.