What's new

Most Universally Panned Attractions

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Hello everyone and welcome to my thread where we discuss the biggest critical failures of the theme park world. There's two that come to mind:

Fast and Furious Supercharged (Universal Orlando) - Can't remember reading a single positive review when this opened. It also failed to generate much speculation and discussion on here which was worrying for a dark ride at Universal costing tens of millions.

I'm a Celebrity (Thorpe Park) - Another attraction which completely failed to generate any positive buzz. I don't know anyone who went through this and thought it was great. I did it once on opening year and vaguely enjoyed myself but it's just not the kind of thing you go to a theme park for, especially when there's a roaring B&M invert a few metres away.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
What was that one dark ride at Disneyland (or WDW, I can't remember at this point) that was like about the sterotypical movie star's day?

Celebrity Limo?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Matt N

CF Legend
What was that one dark ride at Disneyland (or WDW, I can't remember at this point) that was like about the sterotypical movie star's day?

Celebrity Limo?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
I believe you're thinking of Superstar Limo at Disney's California Adventure. Speaking of which, here's a Defunctland video about it:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Darren Brown's Ghost Train.

The only one where I've only ever heard "such a good idea, but so poorly executed". Even after the modifications, it's still not raved out.

And it cost a bloody fortune!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Universally panned, you say?

Son of Beast springs to mind, it was said to try to shake your spine out through your ears. Goudurix at Parc Asterix was also the poster child for rough coasters once, but it has been refurbished since. There are also some Vekoma SLCs I've never heard a positive word about. Drachen Fire at BGW was also a quick failure, operating for only a few years before the park threw in the towel.

As for something designed on this side of the CAD revolution, I'd say Derren Brown's Ghost Train has been considered a bad move by just about anybody. Wildly expensive, highly gimmicky, did nothing.

Peet

Giga Poster
Nemesis Sub Terrible. A £4m investment that only lasted 4 seasons. Very much in the same category as DBGT in that it's all gimmick, flashing lights, actors etc but no actual substance. Would be at home as part of one of the Dungeons, I'm sure that's where the idea came from, but they just don't work as theme park rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Stitch's Great Escape or whatever that PoS at Magic Kingdom is called.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I don't think Sub Terra is universally panned tbh. I'm not defending it, it was pretty bad, but I think it did have fans.
Stitch's Great Escape was definitely universally hated though. Sad to see it go from something great to what it became.

I also had the displeasure of visiting Thorpe Park a week ago and all I'll say it Vulcan Peak. Those unlucky enough to know what I'm talking about will understand.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I'd agree about "I'm a Celebrity" at Thorpe - one of the worst attractions at a theme park I've done and has nothing good about it in my view!

I don't know about universally panned, but Ellen's Energy Adventure at Epcot - simply awful and when I went on it, me and my friends fell asleep during part of it!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You have been warned about making posts like this before, both in public and by PM. If your reaction can't be made more elaborate than a repeated phrase in all caps, don't write anything. This is just shouting something random for the sake of shouting something random. If you keep posting like that, you will rake up enough warning points to receive a temporary ban. So in the future, please do some thinking before clicking that "Post Reply" button. Everybody else seems to be able to make quality posts, there's no reason for you not to try.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Does anyone like the shooting dark ride at Energylandia? From the queue where you slowly enter a monster's crotch, to the random batching/loading system, to the scoring system not making any sense, to the god tacky theming. Just everything about it is the worst.

Ben

CF Legend
Fast and Furious and Jimmy Fallon.

DBGT is actually better than those two hunking pieces of ****.

Also everyone hates Kong but it’s actually epic so.