What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Lofty

CF Legend
I love the quick fix they did of putting a piece of wood to dampen the abrasion on those support beams. Great job.

spicy

Giga Poster
How did GCI do such a bad job here?

It’s had a rediculous amount of downtime since opening and a number of problems... As far as I know GCI’s are normally really reliable?

Coaster

Mega Poster
Could it maybe be an issue caused by the changed gradient on the lifthill? It would potentially explain why it hasn't happened on other GCI's.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Cba to find a link but Channel 4 filmed a behind the scenes documentary for Wickerman that they'll be airing in a few weeks time.

Matt N

CF Legend
Cba to find a link but Channel 4 filmed a behind the scenes documentary for Wickerman that they'll be airing in a few weeks time.
The documentary is called Inside Alton Towers and will be airing on Thursday 23rd August at 9pm. Taken from Alton Towers' social media channels.

Can't wait!

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
So here's the closest thing to an official POV we've got:-
POV by TowersTimes.
There is an offical POV plonker, in fact there's loads. All of the rider POV's on the meet the makers event were filmed by Towers and the park themselves filmed a POV on the day and told people like TowersStreet, TPW, TowersTimes, PBE etc to upload it.

Last edited:

Coaster

Mega Poster
There is an offical POV idiot, in fact there's loads. All of the rider POV's on the meet the makers event were filmed by Towers and the park themselves filmed a POV on the day and told people like TowersStreet, TPW, TowersTimes, PBE etc to upload it.
I don't always agree with what ATI says but why is there the need to be so degrading and rude when he's simply sharing a video?

That isn't acceptable surely?

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I prefer those types of POVs, where you can see movement of the guest etc. over rigged train shots.
Agreed - I'm thinking of those awful mounted POVs that Cedar Point do. They give no indication of the realistic ride experience. The Alton official POV was like that too

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so; does Wicker Man have ejector airtime anywhere, out of interest? Only asking because I thought that ejector meant shorter pops of airtime, which I'd personally say Wicker Man had a couple of.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The term ejector is more related to the strength of the airtime, generally said to be anything less the 0G, though I would probably say anything less than -0.5G.

A quick pop of floater isn't really ejector. It's fun, for sure, but you're never reaching the magnitude of force required for ejector.

That being said, the rate of change of G-force is actually the more exciting bit, hence the term flojector and the chart. ;)

As far as I understand, Wickerman has plenty of pops of airtime, some of them quite quickly, but they never stray in to the ejector territory of forces.

Matt N

CF Legend
The term ejector is more related to the strength of the airtime, generally said to be anything less the 0G, though I would probably say anything less than -0.5G.

A quick pop of floater isn't really ejector. It's fun, for sure, but you're never reaching the magnitude of force required for ejector.

That being said, the rate of change of G-force is actually the more exciting bit, hence the term flojector and the chart. ;)

As far as I understand, Wickerman has plenty of pops of airtime, some of them quite quickly, but they never stray in to the ejector territory of forces.
Ah right. Thanks @Hixee! So you can have sustained ejector and brief floater, then?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Sorry to bump the thread, but I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so; does Wicker Man have ejector airtime anywhere, out of interest? Only asking because I thought that ejector meant shorter pops of airtime, which I'd personally say Wicker Man had a couple of.

Well... it's kind of up to you how you define it. What did you think of Wicker Man's airtime? Did you gently 'float' up out of the seat, or did it feel as though you were being forcefully 'ejected'?
That's the thing, Matt, don't let any of us lot tell you what has and what hasn't got airtime, either floater or ejector. I mean, yes you can get an idea from other members, get a general consensus of opinion of what certain coasters might be like, but nobody can tell you what you experienced when you rode it on the day you were there.
I mean, most of us who've ridden Wicker Dude, myself included, would probably say it doesn't have many moments of strong airtime, and virtually all of them come in short 'pops'. But yeah, if you're sat in the right seat, at the right time of day, in the right weather conditions, with the lap bar just right, then sure, those airtime moments could conceivably be classed as 'ejector'.

In the grand scheme of things, the short answer is no, Wicker Dude doesn't have any ejector airtime, but if you think it does, if you felt like you were being ejected on this more than any of the other coasters that you've been on, then dammit, yes it does! With bells on! :)

Last edited: