What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Stanjensjens

Roller Poster
Again an extremely banked piece of track. I'm almost starting to think that the train will spin into "sitting position" in those extremely banked curves. I can't believe that the train will travel at such a high speed to compensate that banking. Also, high positive g's (which you will definitely experience if the track is banked like that) look quite uncomfortable for a flying coaster train.

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
Also have to disagree with Hollywood Tour and Geister while they may be outdated and some Hollywood figures look rotten they do a good job of keeping everything working, right down to small animatronic details and effects in the background. Very rarely is anything broken.
I could make a list of stuff that doesn't work in those rides, but I won't go to much off-topic. I forgot to mention Temple of the night hawk, which actually had some effects in 2015 but they are gone aswell. On the other hand, these rides will probably be gone in a few years. So I get why they might not fix those effects.
I'm sure Phantasialand is capable of creating great effects for Rookbourgh though.

What I tried to say is that I don't think Phantasialand is better at maintaining then Disneyland Paris. They are good, but not better in my opinion.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Effects aside, I'd say they are definitely better at maintaining an entire park in general, over Disneyland Paris. Phantasialand feels like it's always updating and changing, Disneyland Paris feels a little stagnant if you ask me.

Dex

Roller Poster
Hey! Long time lurker on this thread, I felt like it would be appropriate to post this here. I am working on a fly recreation from construction photos and speculations, I'm not the best at nolimits but I am trying!

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 168
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 157

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Again an extremely banked piece of track. I'm almost starting to think that the train will spin into "sitting position" in those extremely banked curves. I can't believe that the train will travel at such a high speed to compensate that banking. Also, high positive g's (which you will definitely experience if the track is banked like that) look quite uncomfortable for a flying coaster train.
It sounds crazy, but a spinning flying coaster launched would be so incredibly insane. Like time-traveler was already crazy. PHL just needs to go a bit further.
No but really. A while back I was thinking that a 4D flying coaster could be cool and would somehow fit, but for that to work, the track would need to look otherwise

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I could make a list of stuff that doesn't work in those rides, but I won't go to much off-topic. I forgot to mention Temple of the night hawk, which actually had some effects in 2015 but they are gone aswell. On the other hand, these rides will probably be gone in a few years. So I get why they might not fix those effects.
I'm sure Phantasialand is capable of creating great effects for Rookbourgh though.

What I tried to say is that I don't think Phantasialand is better at maintaining then Disneyland Paris. They are good, but not better in my opinion.

Not being that familiar with Disney Paris (its been years since I last visited) I can't compare them.
Although I still maintain that they keep on top of Hollywood Tour and Geister Rikscha; the vast majority of things typically are working, even though it would be far easier, especially when it comes to small details, and cheaper to leave them broken or off - would anyone miss the small caged animatronic rats along the back wall of the Frankenstein scene, in Tarantula the bucket that rattles as a bullet ricochets off it or all of small moving tombstones in Geister? The only thing I noticed not working on Hollywood Tour recently is the second Jaws shark.

While yes there are the infamous Temple of the Nighthawk hawk light effects but the saga of that coaster is a whole other story in itself.

When it comes to modern effects Maus au Chocolat deserves a mention. It proves more than anything else that the park are capable. The amount of small effects and pieces in the scenes between the interactive sections (from small animatronic bits to simulate mice in sacks, wobbling cake, light effects and sequences, projections etc.) always impresses me. And it is always working. Hopefully they can build upon stuff like that for Rookburgh, especially if F.L.Y. does end up featuring a small dark ride scene or preshow at the start of the ride.

As I said with Rookburgh supposedly being 'next level' I think there's a good chance of some effects and possibly more elaborate ones than before. The steampunk theme certainly lends itself very well to having the entire area being more animated than just normal static buildings or rockwork like before.

For instance the enclosed lifthill at the start of F.L.Y. - while it is a rather short and fast lift, rather than just facing a nicely themed wall, having some animation with moving cogs and machinery parts would be great and really enhance the experience. Same goes for the queueline: I'm a big fan of the queue for Maximus Blitz Bahn in Toverland for all the effects and moving parts, and would hope for something similar for F.L.Y..

Phantasialand though may have other ideas for the area (or budgetary constraints :D), so as always we'll just have to wait and see.

Also forgot to mention a few days back on the 31st July was the 1 year anniversary of F.L.Y. going vertical.

Be_coaster

Roller Poster
Hey! Long time lurker on this thread, I felt like it would be appropriate to post this here. I am working on a fly recreation from construction photos and speculations, I'm not the best at nolimits but I am trying!
Can anyone post the overview picture of the construction site? If I did miss it in this thread a pagenumber is handy too. Thanks!

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
A new pictue made from the street:
5byZtQe.jpg

(Picture was placed on a discord server, can't find out who made it.)
As you can see the trackwork really starts to speed up now. With serveral trackpieces on site ready to be assembled.
In the right corner you can see the launch coming out of the tunnel (left side). Looking at the supports I start to wonder if there will be an immelman, like some people suggested. The first 2 supports are meant for the launch going upwards, that's for sure at least.

A7UraSE.png

In the middle you got those trackpieces without supports I mentioned before. Aswell as a new steel framework which I assume is the cannon like structure.

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Oh wow, there's so much going on now, I love it. A flying coaster as complicated as Taron in layout is just so exciting.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The small yellow crane on the construction site was dismantled today, which opens up the space at the end of the launch tunnel so the curved launch can now be erected.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Is that the Immelmann after the first launch, and is that the tallest point of the ride?
No the above Twitter picture is of the hill and drop down into the upwards curve.
The tallest point of the coaster is still the Zero-G Roll.

Jeff99

Roller Poster
It's the airtime-hill you can see in the middle of the picture above (The one with the great overview of the whole construction)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
They've filled in the gap between two of the towers here, starting to form the wall for soundproofing/facades. Also a there's a new strip of metal along the top, which curves down at the end.
20180811_154711.jpg

Source @Micrajojo

The facade steel wall along the back of the Berlin buildings (home to the park workshops) has also been extended. The gap between it and the workshops is being left free as a back stage access road presumably.
x20180810_100853.thumb.jpg.851278a9e9734d3d2a090bd298e9988b.jpg.pagespeed.ic.l6aYNFqLzw.webp

Theming the buildings and walls continues.
x20180810_095422.thumb.jpg.f2e75025b0ac0ddd2850c91640288f8b.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3nkblIJJ86.webp

Pictures from PhantaDani on PhantaFriends.de

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Tobi has written up an update on PhantaFriends.de and drawn a basic floor plan graphic which only depicts the things he refers to.
1.jpg.cb11f8aa9ee74814e9e9727a039f10a6.jpg

New rails (orange) were mounted in front of the drop into/entrance to the launch tunnel. These form an S-curve before the launch. (just like Taron has funnily enough)
Two new supports (drawn on) have been erected in front of the S-curve, one can guess how it continues. This means the section of track after the lifthill and before the launch is more substantial than just a drop and turn.

The already assembled steel structures (green) which are currently being themed have been extended (red). Leaving the backstage access route from the street to Kaiserplatz (yellow green red) intact. At the red part of the construction, bay windows are now being erected at a height of about 3 meters, reaching almost all the way up to the steel construction.

The lifthill along the Maus Au Chocolat building can soon be erected. Several concrete platforms/levels (blue) are now almost finished, these are for the supports of the lifthill (as seen in videos from the Vekoma test set up). A section of the booster wheel lifthill is already on the construction site waiting for assembly.

Tobi calculates there are about 650m of track installed at the moment. So there are a could be maximum of 58% of the coaster in place based off the shrinking amount of available space as construction goes on.

Last edited: