What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Ethan

Strata Poster
Ah, it seems as though I'm one of the only people still hyped for this then haha. I get that construction is painfully slow and boring at the moment but it's still exciting to me!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think there's a bit of a problem with revealing nothing about the area beforehand. Everything we see is so abstract and seemingly random that it's hard to see any form in any of it, really. They did the same thing with Klugheim, but because we had Tobi's models we could get a sense of the grandeur of the spaces and the way it was all going to piece together. Without that, there is something a bit 'flat' about only ever seeing shots at low level through fences.

Maybe we're just needy, unimaginative, spoilt enthusiasts!

I've got absolutely no doubt that this is going to be a wonderful coaster and area, but the construction of it doesn't have me particularly excited.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Maybe we're just needy, unimaginative, spoilt enthusiasts!

Nailed it. :D

But seriously, all those above comments apply. At the moment there's very little "context", no way of visualising the final product. It's not like Valkyria or Hyperion where you can watch a lift hill getting higher and higher. From the few viewpoints that we have, all we can really see is a few sections of track being buried underneath layer upon layer of new buildings and scenery.

I'm sure I'll be among the millions of drooling, stuttering goons when Phantasialand have their big 'Ta-Daaa' moment next year, but for now at least colour me not-that-arsed.
Call me when there's a POV.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I agree it is not the most exciting construction to follow. It was the same thing with Chiapas - months and months of looking at a big confusing mess of a construction site and then when it got close to opening it suddenly all came together.

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
Ah, it seems as though I'm one of the only people still hyped for this then haha. I get that construction is painfully slow and boring at the moment but it's still exciting to me!
Ofcourse it is. But it goes tidiously slow. Most coasters are finished by now. But this coaster is not your standard b&m or Vekoma. It's btw not vekoma's fault that it goes this slow, they have to wait for groundwork, theming, buildings, etc. We have to be extremely patient because phl is not going to tell sh*t for months....

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Ofcourse it is. But it goes tidiously slow. Most coasters are finished by now. But this coaster is not your standard b&m or Vekoma. It's btw not vekoma's fault that it goes this slow, they have to wait for groundwork, theming, buildings, etc. We have to be extremely patient because phl is not going to tell sh*t for months....
Are you here again complaining about the groundwork? Then go do it yourself.
BTW every unthemed coaster can be build in 1 year, but no project as big as this goes that fast. Okay PHL is losing some extra time because of the really ill conditions they have to work with, but they are defenitly handling it greatly

Ethan

Strata Poster

Of course it's not Vekoma's fault. Nobody ever suggested that? It's going slow partly because of the previous issues but also because it's a bloody huge project.

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
We have to be extremely patient because phl is not going to tell sh*t for months....
Untill now we got the same amount of information compaired to juli 2015 when Klugheim was being built. The first Phantasialand-magazine article about Klugheim was released in August 2015, so I think we will get some pictures /videos pretty soon.
The phantasialand magazine posts way more articles now compaired to what they did back in 2015. So I'm sure they will make some comprehensive articles about Rookbourgh.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
If anything I think we actually know a bit more about F.L.Y. than Taron this time in 2015. We knew nothing about Taron's trains or restraints until they did their reveal week.
From the Vekoma Factory and test set up we have seen the trains (albeit unthemed), the seats and restraints, the curved launch track parts and the prototype rotating seats in action - thanks @mrrc ;)

Construction is progressing exactly as intended. They're making good progress and I'm certain they'll get it finished for summer 2019 as planned no problem. The long construction period is necessary (there is literally no other way to deliver a project on such a scale) and I'm sure no one (Vekoma certainly aren't) other than impatient enthusiasts are bothered by it.

EDIT: Some views from the carousel, through the gap where the former monorail used to go, of the theming being worked on in that corner.
Screenshot_20180729-123450_Gallery.jpg

20180729_124021.jpg

ANOTHER EDIT!:
There is a rather tall new support with two sections of new track attached. The tallest is travelling slightly upwards after coming out of the Zero-G and the lower bit comes out of the helix next to Maus.
The support for the flying position track directly after the highest point of the lifthill has been erected. It can be seen in this video from the test set up.
No sign of the lifthill itself yet but they seem to continuing with concrete walls around where it will be, and in front of the new support a steel structure (a building possibly) is being erected. Presumably the lifthill will be fully enclosed.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Screenshot_20180731-175924_Gallery-02.jpeg

New support and track visible from the top of Wuze Town. I believe that tall bit of new track is coming out of the Zero-G roll.

The steel structure, in front of the end of the lifthill support I mentioned in my post above, features large curved beams around where the track will go through. The unusual and distinctive shape of this structure is the exact same as the smoke filled tunnel/canon thing from the F.L.Y. artwork.
So you will go up the lifthill, turn 90° right, rotate into the flying position, then straightway, through the smoke, exit the tunnel and fly out over Rookburgh for the first time.
Screenshot_20180731-201844_Gallery.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
That cannon idea would be brilliant, would love to see some theming interaction and animation with this.

Lofty

CF Legend
All of the chimneys in Klugheim still smoke and the waterfall is always working, in comparison of effects still working, I'd say Phanta definitely have the upper hand.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Screenshot_20180802-193806_Gallery.jpg

The curve beside Wuze has now been built. It continues on from that new tall stretch of track mentioned in my previous post.
Overall, the new stretch of track comes out of the Zero-G Roll (which is still currently the tallest part of the coaster), from there it goes up into a stretched/drawn out airtime hill of sorts which is slightly banked to the left. Looks like it could be a nice moment flying high up over the area below. Then the track drops down close to the ground, banks right and then travels up in a steep, extremely banked curve - there is a building being built underneath so the coaster will either go over it or actually go through it when finished.
Afterwards the track, now banked almost 90°, goes inbetween those tall steel towers beside Wuze Town.
Screenshot_20180802-193822_Gallery.jpg

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
All of the chimneys in Klugheim still smoke and the waterfall is always working, in comparison of effects still working, I'd say Phanta definitely have the upper hand.
I don't agree to be honest. You're compairing a huge moving object (which is integrated into the cannon structure) with some smoke machines and water pumps?
It's like the Yeti in Expedition Everest, which is really hard to fix because of the way it's built into the structure.
About Phantasialand: look at Chiapas for example. The one (and only) animatronic it has did not work for a very long time, and the same goes for the smoke effects.
I won't even start about the older rides like Hollywood tour and Geister Rikscha, because they got even more effects that don't work.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^The cannon/tunnel could also literally just be a static structure with fog machines/misters filling it up. I'm sure they are more than capable of that given the examples Lofty used.
Also have to disagree with Hollywood Tour and Geister while they may be outdated and some Hollywood figures look rotten they do a good job of keeping everything working, right down to small animatronic details and effects in the background. Very rarely is anything broken.
The Chiapas drummer however is a valid point as it was down for a long time a while back. But overall PHL do a good job of keeping on top of things and with Rookburgh supposedly being next level in terms of theming I would expect some effects and moving parts. Will be interesting to see what materialises.