What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

vaugc002

Mega Poster
The first thing I thought of when I saw the name was the Iron Curtain - a boundary that divided Europe during WW2 and the Cold War.
I guess to an American, Steel Curtain has some sporting reference. Still, piss poor name.

The ride itself looks crazy - like an extended version of one of their Sky Rocket II models.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay, I'll say it. It looks terrible.

It looks interesting, for sure, but that doesn't really mean I think it looks good. It looks like an overly ambitious NL2 coaster, with just loads of random elements shoved in for the sake of it. It's also very ugly.

And the name...

The whole thing is hilarious. I can't wait to ride it. After the second re-tracking in 2019, that is.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The first thing I thought of when I saw the name was the Iron Curtain - a boundary that divided Europe during WW2 and the Cold War.
I guess to an American, Steel Curtain has some sporting reference. Still, piss poor name.

The ride itself looks crazy - like an extended version of one of their Sky Rocket II models.
Just explained this to a friend of mine who happens to be Canadian and she didn't get it at all either. The sports thing comes from the Iron Curtain, but because they're the Steelers you get the gist of it. I think it refers to their defense but I'm not sure, I don't do American football.

Do we have anymore info on the trains? Whether there's a rattle or not combined with restraint choice might actually make or break this ride. Get some bulky heavy thing on there and it could actually work up a decent amount of momentum and hit some of those later elements pretty hard.

EDIT: @Hixee, just saw your post and I agree it looks like an NL ride. Not terrible, but not earth shattering either. I like S&S personally but they certainly have their issues, and especially after Gale Force I'm a bit worried about it.

Also reminds me of this.

s-l300.jpg

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster

The name comes from the 70s, when the team was said to have a daunting, impenetrable defense. And it was clearly meant as a conscious play on the Cold War “Iron Curtain.” If this is all new to you now, I can see why the name seems odd, but it makes perfect sense in its history and its evocations, and it’s a perfect name for a daunting, Steelers-themed coaster.

Now if I can just get my head around a sports-franchise themed coaster and land ...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
If you watch the whole press conference it seems like the steelers choose the name based on one of the Q&A questions.

Everything aside I'll take a solid looking addition with weird theme-ing and tie ins then no coaster or a super cheap one had PR funded it alone. (again speculation but i think it's fairly clear)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I wonder how much a full re-tracking for this would cost...

Also, are the S&S air launch coasters in China not really good? Because that's what I've heard?

Snoo

The Legend
It looks ok. Not blowing me away but I don't think it will be bad.

But as other have said and a lifelong Browns fan.. the name makes me want to throw up.

davidm

Strata Poster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Curtain
The Steel Curtain was the defensive line of the 1970s American football team Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League (NFL). The line was the backbone of the Steelers dynasty, which won four Super Bowls (IX, X, XIII, and XIV) in six years.[1]

The Steelers began their 1976 season 1–4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw. For the nine games remaining in the season, the Steelers recorded five shutouts (three of them uninterrupted), and only allowed two touchdowns (both in a single game), and five field goals. The defense allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had an average margin of victory of 22 points. Eight of the Steelers' starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl that year, and four would be selected to the Hall of Fame

But seriously ; that's an awful name.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Steel Vengeance was a far worse name then this and people seemed to have gotten used too and stopped complaining about that. I suspect a year from now no one (other then Browns, Bengals, and Ravens fans) will be complaining about the name

Lofty

CF Legend
I really don’t get why people are saying this looks great. Sure, it’s unique, but it just looks ****e? Also, the name is utter ****e, too. Makes me think of a metal twat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
This is almost every coaster reveal though. People complain about the name, cut to the ride opening and no one cares because everyone get's used to it.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Steel Curtain is a coherent name that refers to something with history, something with a clear evocation for most Americans. I won’t champion it beyond that, but I don’t know how anyone could possibly say it’s worse that Steel Vengeance, which is pure incoherent blandness, like some sort of horrible action movie name. To me, Steel Vengeance is like Plastic Commitment, or Bronze Hope, or ... God, it’s just the worst sort of name. Outdone only by the likes of Crazanity.

llCoasterN3rdll

Roller Poster
I’m excited to see what people think of this. Even though it’s not exactly what I expected or wanted, it’s an interesting looking coaster for sure. This is a big step for S&S. I’m happy for them.