What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

peep

CF Legend
Well I'm excited because it looks like all sorts of crazy. Looks like they were inspired by Gerst and RMC (unfortunately the bits I don't like on RMCs).

What are they claiming to be the 4 World firsts?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
It kind of reminds me of the first few inversions on karnan. I think those big looping sections are going to pull some Gs!

I feel like it might ruin the retro feel of the lagoon area but it's a new cred so nevermind.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The ride itself looks fine-good to me not mind blowing but definitely a solid addition to their lineup (assuming it's smooth and the transitions aren't botched).

In the way some of the things are being said in this conference and from what we know about PR I'm heavily inclined to think the Steelers Organization payed for a large chunk if not a majority of the area and ride. It's a pretty brilliant marketing idea in all honestly for both sides. Pittsburgh has diehard sports fans and tapping into that market for the park could bring in people who really wouldn't care otherwise, even if it has zero meaning or significance to anyone else and the steelers get to show their brand to people who visit the park from around the country and overseas for it's history.

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
The ride itself looks fine to me.

I'm the way this conference has been talking and from what we know about PR I'm heavily inclined to think the Steelers Organization payed for a large chunk if not a majority of the area and ride. It's a pretty brilliant marketing idea in all honestly for both sides. Pittsburgh has diehard sports fans and tapping into that market for the park could bring in people who really wouldn't care otherwise, even if it has zero meaning or significance to anyone else.
I’m not crazy about a sports franchise as theming, BUT I do like any ride/land that has theming that is distinct to the park or local region. I can’t tell you how much I hate all the superhero generic blandness and all the commercial tie-ins they call theming these days. So I’m not crazy about the sports tie-in, but it’s better than most new theming these days.

Matt N

CF Legend
If the Steelers Organisation are paying for it, will it work sort of like how Ducati are paying for Ducati World at Mirabilandia? Like a sort of sponsorship?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Is this the biggest ride Parques Reunidos have ever paid for?
If the Steelers Organisation are paying for it, will it work sort of like how Ducati are paying for Ducati World at Mirabilandia? Like a sort of sponsorship?
The way one of the q&a questions was answered (the one about the name) and based on the size and scope of the coaster I'm pretty sure the Steelers organization footed a reasonable amount of the bill for this. I can't imagine PR would pay for all of this but i don't think anything has been said on that end officially so I'm just speculating.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
It’s a funny looking ride for sure, definitely should be good if it handles well. Not holding out much hope for world class but it looks really good. Loving the RMC influence, interesting to see how a stall plays out on another manufacturer’s ride. I might be the only enthusiast that likes S&S though so I’m maybe in the minority thinking it won’t be total garbage.

I actually like that Kennywood lets their employees wear Pittsburgh sports teams jerseys, so even though I don’t like the team (or sport for that matter) I see this as local flare which I love. It’s a bit extensive though, a simple plaza could probably cut it for a sports team.

Pear

Strata Poster
Loving the RMC influence, interesting to see how a stall plays out on another manufacturer’s ride.

Just because there's a stall doesn't mean it's inspired by RMC. This just looks like S&S being S&S and doing weird **** because they want to.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Just because there's a stall doesn't mean it's inspired by RMC. This just looks like S&S being S&S and doing weird :emoji_poop: because they want to.
I mean, RMC invented the element so that in itself is influence. The two are pretty tight from a business standpoint if I’m correct so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that cause some similarities between rides.

Regardless of where it came from, I like it. It’s so wonky and different yet such a simple concept.

Matt N

CF Legend
I just realised something; is it only me who is reminded of Drachen Fire at BGW's really dodgy-looking corkscrew drop by this coaster's drop? Might it be something that S&S inherited from Arrow as a design touch?