What's new

World Cup Topic 2018

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm at Hansa Park...hoping I can stream it, as much as I want to watch it, I really want to see Hansa Park rather than sit somewhere watching it.

I have no prediction of score. Or result. I just want so much, for England to win.

And please don't let it go to penalties again, my stomach can't take that.

Peet

Giga Poster
If we win against Sweden then it will be *at least* England's equal second best *ever* result in a World cup. The only times we have ever reached the semi-finals were 1966 and 1990. I'm so excited and nervous!

Will

Strata Poster
Yeah, yesterday was very special. I was walking around Silverstone in my England shirt from 2008 which meant people kept coming up to me and telling me it was coming home.
Qualifying finished late, but I managed to be in front of a big screen with @nealbie when the first goal went in and the place went mad - second came whilst we were walking towards the main stage, which meant we were in the midst of the crowd for the final whistle and much impromptu singing.

The F1 kind of took a back seat, for me anyway. I'm a cynic and I couldn't see us getting past the last-16, but now even I'm starting to believe...

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Doesn't Slovenia border Croatia?

Ah well. Belgium rematch, then back to not caring about football for two years.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
We weren't great, they totally overrun us in midfield, Lingard and Henderson don't have enough passing ability between them to get the ball to the front 3, and the wing backs were constantly pushed back into a back 5.
Shame but still proud we got that far.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
We weren't great, they totally overrun us in midfield, Lingard and Henderson don't have enough passing ability between them to get the ball to the front 3, and the wing backs were constantly pushed back into a back 5.
Shame but still proud we got that far.

Typical Spurs fan, nothing to do with Alli having an absolute stinker in every game ;)

Will

Strata Poster
"It's coming home," they said.
"Go to the pub to watch the game," they said.

Today, Will is feeling fragile. Happily, I have obtained bacon.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Typical Spurs fan, nothing to do with Alli having an absolute stinker in every game ;)
Tripper was one of the full backs I spoke about. Point stands though, midfield was shocking, Alli should have dropped back and taken control as well, he's not safe from critisicm.
Kane either, worst game I've seen from him for ages.

Sort the midfield and the front players would have done better, I'm sure of it, so that comes down to the manager imo.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Tripper was one of the full backs I spoke about. Point stands though, midfield was shocking, Alli should have dropped back and taken control as well, he's not safe from critisicm.
Kane either, worst game I've seen from him for ages.

Sort the midfield and the front players would have done better, I'm sure of it, so that comes down to the manager imo.

It was more that you singled out Henderson for not being creative when he’s the midfield anchor who’s job is to sit and protect the defense rather than call out Alli who’s job is to be a creative midfielder alongside Lingard. Agreed with everything else, bury our chances in the first half and we can maybe afford to sit back like we did, not on a 1-0 lead though it’s asking for trouble as we found out against Colombia

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It was more that you singled out Henderson for not being creative when he’s the midfield anchor who’s job is to sit and protect the defense rather than call out Alli who’s job is to be a creative midfielder alongside Lingard. Agreed with everything else, bury our chances in the first half and we can maybe afford to sit back like we did, not on a 1-0 lead though it’s asking for trouble as we found out against Colombia
I think that the midfielders need to make it known if they are struggling to move the ball forward and get help from the AM's or the manager should change the system. Henderson did a decent job at breaking up play but neither him nor Lingard really did anything with the ball. Hence why Kane was dropping into midfield. He needs to stay up top and the Manager needs to take the flak for not changing it when we totally lost the midfield.
Edit - Alli's job for Spurs is to support Kane and make runs/through balls in the final 3rd, but he didn't get enough of the ball either. If Southgate had put him in as a midfield creator in the center of the park then more fool him, he's not that kind of player.

mouse

Giga Poster
Disappointed to see England out, although we played well and for once I'm very proud of my country's team.
On the bright side I'm guaranteed a payout, seeing as I put bets on both France and Croatia at the start of the tournament...