What's new

Next Gen Wiegand Alpine Coaster for Altmühlbob

TilenB

Strata Poster
A rather interesting version of Alpine Coaster is taking shape in Bavaria. The ride is one of Wiegand's new model line, called Sport Coaster. It doesn't have any rider operated brakes (much like Dawson Duel in that regard), which allows it to have these huge hills all through the layout. Here's a rough translation and a few photos from coasterfriends. The ride is set to open later this year.

The Altmühlbob near Riedenburg in Bavaria will soon be getting a rather bizarre Alpine Coaster. In the accompanying flyer, the new train is announced as a world first.
Striking are the unusually steep "airtime hills" that are atypical for Alpine Coaster.
On request, I was told that the bobsleigh will have no brake levers, but only controlled by magnetic brakes.
The layout is quite simple:
After the lift comes a 180 turn, followed by a kind of "double dip drop" and then join another 3 airtime hill before it goes back to the station.

9512996d1523393368-alpine-coaster-projekte-weltweit-img-20180409-wa0029.jpg

9512993d1523393368-alpine-coaster-projekte-weltweit-img-20180409-wa0002.jpg

9512994d1523393368-alpine-coaster-projekte-weltweit-img-20180409-wa0011.jpg

Source: https://www.coasterfriends.de/forum/12448-alpine-coaster-projekte-weltweit-3.html#post252765

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, that's cool!

I will say, it did take me a little longer than I care to admit to realise that there are two alpine coasters in that picture. I thought the kid in the first picture was in for a wild ride!

peep

CF Legend
Huh, I don't count alpine rides and I'm not really a fan of them but damn those hills will be terrifying. Will be interesting to see videos of this later in the year when it opens.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
This looks cool. Really enjoyed the zipworld one and the dawson duel ones are decent. There must be a quite a drop somewhere to get enough speed to crest those hills. Maybe next they can make launched ones???

davidm

Strata Poster
Definitely much more "coaster" than "alpine coaster", I mean that the reasons that we don't count alpine coasters as a coaster (DO WE??? - YOU SHAMEFUL CREDHOs IF YOU DO) are a bit lacking in this one.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I love this. I did my first alpine coaster at Snowmass back in March. It had a fun moment of airtime on some seemingly harmless hill. This looks awesome.

Oh, and they're obviously creds. ;)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
It rolls, it coasts. It goes up, it goes down. They're roller coasters in my book!

Those hills do look absolutely fabulous, though. I'd love to see more of those types of rides!

davidm

Strata Poster
I think the "not counting them" argument was always whether it was user-controllable (like "normal" alpines which have user-controlled breaking on them) and whether it ever "coasts" uphill at all (normal alpine don't tend to do this, but this one absolutely does).
RCDB only recently listed Alpines too, and coaster-count lets you record them but its one of the filters that you can set as to whether you "count" them (like you can exclude "powered" or "butterfly" too if you so wish) - coaster-count also includes things like skyline-express at skyline park and no-one should be counting that.

(For the record, I ride Alpines - I like them, I record them on coaster-count but don't "count" them. I will count butterflys & powereds though - each to their own!)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, it's short, isn't it? I was definitely expecting it to do a little more. How boring.

"First of it's kind", I guess...

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero