What's new

Strange undeveloped coaster concepts

Lofty

CF Legend
This thread is fab!
I've always been fascinated by the SBF Visa Group Tower Coaster. They built one, but it looks more like a prototype.
I think the concept could have worked (might have have been competition for Gerst's Eurofighters maybe...).

TOWER_COASTER_MX875.jpg
I'm sure there's still one operating the travelling industry and Ankapark bought one.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I'm sure there's still one operating the travelling industry and Ankapark bought one.
Yeah I think there is - I meant that I kinda feel this concept could have been pushed. There was a gap in the market back when this came out.
Looks brutal tho :O

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Those restraints!!

I can just about cope the B&M vest restraints, I’m not really sure what to think of the ones on that concept...

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
I think permanent sideways seats would interesting. We've obviously seen a lot go backwards or spin, but never really a stationary sideways seat (kind of like a surfing position, but seated). I have found on spinning roller coasters that a sideways orientation is a great change of pace (vertical loops taken sideways are really funky and awesome). I can definitely see a surfing themed ride with sideways seats, and I feel like there's a lot of potential there.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think permanent sideways seats would interesting. We've obviously seen a lot go backwards or spin, but never really a stationary sideways seat (kind of like a surfing position, but seated). I have found on spinning roller coasters that a sideways orientation is a great change of pace (vertical loops taken sideways are really funky and awesome). I can definitely see a surfing themed ride with sideways seats, and I feel like there's a lot of potential there.
Been done:

https://rcdb.com/1922.htm

Peet

Giga Poster
That sounds dreadful, everyone will be craning their necks for the whole ride to see where they are going!
I get your point about loops though, sometimes I deliberately look to the side on a loop to enjoy watching the world do a 360.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
That sounds dreadful, everyone will be craning their necks for the whole ride to see where they are going!
I get your point about loops though, sometimes I deliberately look to the side on a loop to enjoy watching the world do a 360.
I suppose that is a good point about craning their necks. I just love the different sensations that a rotated seat gives.

SwitchbackFanboy742

Roller Poster
I suppose that is a good point about craning their necks. I just love the different sensations that a rotated seat gives.
Lift hills would be very difficult to make comftorable also. Your head is either bobbing to the side, the restraint pins you down on your side or its comftorable but the lift is extremely shallow angle.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Actually what was arguably the world's first proper roller coaster the Thompson Switchback at Coney Island in 1884 had one train with forwards seats and one train with sideways seats. I believe a number of the subsequent installations also had these sideways facing cars

ConeyIslandRollerCoaster.jpg