What's new

“THE SW8 IS OVER!” Alton Towers, Sat 17 March

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Mate has offered to drive me up to the Towers, so it's now a maybe from me.
How certain are we the cred will be open though? I didn't see AT confirming it being open for the 17th yet...

toofpikk

Mega Poster
It's testing, has had riders, a full line up of positions finalised, and a good amount of staff have been trained & passed off/waiting to be assessed. I'd be genuinely surprised if merlin missed this opening day.

Normally I say the opposite, it's quite nice to expect the expected!

Karen

Hyper Poster
It should be Uttoxeter, though there's a worrying lack of X32 on First's timetables for this year. Probably worth giving them a shout.

Also, I'm coming yay
1 of the buses doesn't start till the week after :confused:

Might book a taxi :)

Thank you

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I won't be there - planning a trip in june, and its a right frikkin burden to get there, even before considering the pi$$-poor bus services now....

and on bus services - I was going to suggest the X52, but there are 2 problems:
1 - it arrives an hour after opening time (noone wants to arrive early do they?)
2 - It DOESN'T RUN AT WEEKENDS - why have a bus service to a tourist attraction, and not run at weekends? Why Damnit??

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Any Goons Driving from London (or near about) with a carspace? Happy to get to any convenient station - even Birmingham or somewhere 2bh! - Petrol££ no problem - PM me, much obliged!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Mate has offered to drive me up to the Towers, so it's now a maybe from me.
How certain are we the cred will be open though? I didn't see AT confirming it being open for the 17th yet...

Very good question tbh. Having been stung with Smiler having booked accomodation long in advance I'm holding off booking anywhere until we know for certain it'll be open.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Will they ever actually confirm a day though? I feel like they might just open it one day like ta-dah if not the opening day.

we were originally planning on going on services day last weekend but sadly it was cancelled/postponed to the 11th which I am unable to make.

But long story short, we should be able to come along to this instead!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The launch party for Wicker Man is on the 16th, so it’s got to be ready for then otherwise they risk bad press (remember journalists being stuck during Smilier’s launch event?). It has to be open so I’m upgrading to 100% confident it’ll be operational on opening day.

Besides, there are 50 other attractions for us to enjoy!

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
I'm trusting you on this one then Ian, count me in!
I can get a lift from a mate up to the Towers, just need to see how I get myself back down to Stoke station, if someone happens to go past it? :)

Reactions: Ian

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
So the date had been confirmed. What's the plan then, meet, head to wickerman and get in the queue asap? I don't think I've ever been to a ride opening day before. Should we bring stuff to do in the (probably) 5 hour long queue?

Anyone know how many trains wm can run? Wondering about the throughput.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah with the confirmation sorted I'm gonna look into booking somewhere to stay on the Friday. If Octonauts opens at 10 I may grab that before meeting up with the group, depends how early I can get to the park in the morning.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Whose tempted by the 'golden' fastpass at £55 a pop, which you can use on WM! DISGUUUUUUSTING price i know, but if queues are over 3hrs - I would be tempted 2BH!

I'm hardly made of money and am pretty frugal in RT.....when it comes to rides and coasters - I'm like TAKE MY MON£Y!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Nah I'll take my chances and queue with the goons, that's part of the fun.

Hotel booked in the arse end of nowhere .if anybody knows where the 2 for 1's are to be found it'll be appreciated because I'm away now until Thursday so ideally could get them tomorrow.