What's new

Efteling Replacing Python.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I did a quick search couldn't see this mentioned.
Python at Efteling is being replaced. But in the same way Hulk was replaced with all new track.

The weird thing is that it isn't Vekoma replacing the track

Bad translation incoming.
The steel construction company CSM in Hamont-Achel has a top job. The metal company is currently building a copy of the Efteling's iconic Python rollercoaster. It is available for replacement. CSM builds 420 meters of rollercoaster in Hamont-Achel under the strictest safety requirements to build it in the amusement park from January next year. The popular Python is thus made in Limburg.

Py1.jpg

https://www.tvl.be/nieuws/achels-be...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/8922/Fotos-dit-is-de-nieuwe-baan-van-de-Python-in-de-Efteling.html

jayjay

Giga Poster
I guess one for the Dutch fans (or just @ThomVD ): is Python considered a historial classic in the way that, say, Alton's Corkscrew was? No idea what to make of this really. They only replaced the trains a few years ago, so are they keeping them, just on new track?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'm with you - what a hilarious waste of money. Unless there really is some significance? I'd still spite it though.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Yeah, Python is by far the most iconic coaster in the Netherlands. Back when it opened it was the biggest coaster in mainland Europe and it marked the beginning for Efteling as a true theme park (rather than just gardens with some rides) and has a lot of significance for theme parks in NL in general. It all started from there.

I'm glad that Efteling is preserving some of their history. Obviously it's the worst coaster in the park, but it's such an icon and it would hurt most Dutch people to see it go. A lot of people have a lot of nostalgia for it or even still love it. I get why non-Dutch enthusiasts wouldn't get it, but it means a lot for us. I'm not sure if I would consider preserving the most iconic coaster in a park a waste of money.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
I'm with Thom here, for most Dutch people it's been their first proper rollercoaster experience and seeing it go would probably cause way more up-roar than updating it.
I'm sure UK folks wouldn't like it if AT decided to scrap Nemesis either, even if it suddenly becomes rough and unpleasant to ride. :p

davidm

Strata Poster
^ they scrapped Corkscrew though, which was more like the same thing (in terms of the public consciousness of "modern" coasters, rather than crappy vekoma track)

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, the argument of 'but people love it' does not exist when a business needs to expand and invest.

jayjay

Giga Poster
So it's like the Scenic Railway, then. I get the impression of Efteling as a very proud park that understands its heritage and history. The Scenic Railway burned down, but we still rebuilt it because some intangible things are more important than money.

Besides that, if we did want to take it to a business perspective, could it be argued that Efteling's brand is based heavily in nostalgia, hence keeping people coming back with their families would require some kind of long term continuity? Obviously, only Efteling know the answer to this, as they're the ones with the market research.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I'm pretty sure Python still draws in a lot of Dutch visitors. Mostly for the nostalgia, I assume. But when talking about Efteling with Dutch non-enthusiasts Python gets mentioned so often. It still has a strong reputation as a thrill coaster, most likely for historic reasons and because we grew up with Python being the infamous big thrill coaster. Maybe the new generation won't care as much and Python will lose its status in several decades. But until then, it's deffo a coaster that draws people to the park.

As for my own personal view. I'd be sad if Python was removed, but at the same time excited for what would replace it. But I honestly don't mind them preserving it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
iiIgOAx.jpg

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I mean you can replace the track all you like, but it’s the shaping that needs sorting, not the track. If they’re not redesigning the curves to handle the forces better (especially into the first corkscrew), the whole point is moot, and the ride won’t be any “smoother”. You’ll still be jolted around by the lateral G’s.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I actually find this really interesting. I liked that they'd bothered to update it with better trains and restraints so I'll be interested to see if the retrack makes any difference. I don't remember it being rough though. Still an odd choice of thing to do.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Was that actually a thing or did you just draw that up yourself from the top of your head?

Genuine thing! I’ve seen it before possibly in the Baron topic?

Am I correct in thinking that it’s not Vekoma doing the re track? I’d love for some other company to have a stab and just make it even worse :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Am I correct in thinking that it’s not Vekoma doing the re track? I’d love for some other company to have a stab and just make it even worse :D
Imagine the controversy if it was Golden Horse!