What's new

Strange undeveloped coaster concepts

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Whilst browsing patent diagrams filed by coaster manufacturers I found a few interesting ideas.

A Drag racing launch style coaster.
imgf0004.png

US07980181-20110719-D00000.png

imgf0016.png

A S&S concept.
ss1.png

Any other strange ideas out there?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
aaalb.jpg

This was basically a roller coaster with six tracks (omg a +6!) that overall consist of 3 X-wing + 3 tie-fighters that supposed to simulate the trench run scene in Star Wars.

34818465.jpg

asasr.jpg

aaaaacv.jpg

Each guest will have a laser gun which they can shoot at the opposition, either the rebels or the empire. Similar to interactive shooter dark rides, the points from each team will be added to determine which side won, causing wither the death star or the rebel planet to "explode".

I've only brifely summed it up, but if you are more interested, Disney & More goes more in depth.http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/all-about-incredible-star-wars-warring.html

A ridiculously extensive concept, but I find it really interesting.

Futhermore, it is brought to you by the same company who proposes the inverted wooden coaster. Kind of shocked this isn't SW8!

iwc-5.jpg

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Ok, that Star Wars coaster looks like it could have been one of the coolest rides ever made.

In the 80s, Intamin had an idea for a pinball ride. Don't know if it was a coaster, but it's in an Intamin brochure from the period.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I know Arrow had quite a few prototypes in development that (almost) never came to fruition, like their Standup, Pipeline, and Bobsled. I think they also had an idea for a 500 foot shuttle coaster in Las Vegas?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Ah yes, the Arrow Fishhook
1zzs7z5.jpg

2u54cop.jpg

And also, Arrow's take on an Inverted wild mouse, the Arrow BATtic
[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHCYRCZd_8[/youtubevid]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That Star Wars thing: clearly some guy in his mum's spare room and not an actual "concept". Seriously.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Shirofukurou said:
Was the splitting coaster from RCT3 ever a design by an actual company? If so, that would be near the top of the list.

Indeed. it was proposed by Setpoint and was called the Seizmic. It obviously never happened
seizmic1.jpg

seizmic2.jpg

I have a few of these to share actually.

The pics below show another coaster I think made it into RCT3 but never got built. It's the Tower Coaster concept from Premier.
premiertower1.jpg

premiertower2.jpg

premiertower3.jpg

premiertower4.jpg

Japanese company Hoei Sangyo are great for coming up with weird designs. This is a favourite of mine. I have no idea how it gets through the first loop, lift or small launch but i like the symmetry.
hoei1.jpg

They also came up with the Sledge Hammer design. This was around way before X and sort of shows an S&S/Intamin ball coaster style design but bigger.
sledge2.jpg

sledge5.jpg

sledge3.jpg

sledge6.jpg

They even built a test track for it.
sledge.jpg

You can still see it advertised here http://www.hoei-sangyo.co.jp/products/r ... ammer.html

Giovanola showed off a Tilt and twist design called the Terror Tilt at IAAPA many years ago Essentially a tilt coaster that twists 90 degrees too,.
TILT.H1.jpg

TILT.H2.jpg

In the same vein Vekoma wanted to go much bigger with their Tilt coaster designs
hyper-tilt.jpg

Stengel once proposed this sort of extreme coaster as a good idea.
ws1.jpg

Arrow tried out suspended coaster inversions
suscork.jpg

Finally. One we can all be thankful never got built
Togo's proposal for the SFFT Superman Krypton Coaster site.
Togokrypt.jpg

Well that was longer than I planned :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
roomraider said:
Japanese company Hoei Sangyo are great for coming up with weird designs. This is a favourite of mine. I have no idea how it gets through the first loop, lift or small launch but i like the symmetry.
hoei1.jpg
That first drop is mad, but I do like the uphill loop thing, that looks brilliant!

roomraider said:
Finally. One we can all be thankful never got built
Togo's proposal for the SFFT Superman Krypton Coaster site.
Togokrypt.jpg
What is that helix... :lol:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Looking at it closely, it's actually two helixes (helice?) placed right above one another. The top part is traversed first, then the train goes for the out-and-back portion with the loop, then returns to do the bottom part of the helix.

Really interesting post, roomraider!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I have a fair few more around haha. I've been desperately trying to find the dueling Ultra Twister concept Togo showed at IAAPA in the 90s which could make turns as well. But I cannot find the picture anywhere.

A few more anyway

Arrow-Swing.jpg

Arrow suspended concept with reversed seats.

GA-Hyper.jpg

Hyper coaster design with elevator lift which was proposed for California's Great America. Incredibly short layout.

Vekoma-hypersmall.jpg

More recent Vekoma hyper coaster design proposal which features their new track system and cars + inversions

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
roomraider said:
Arrow tried out suspended coaster inversions
suscork.jpg
I never knew they had built actual test track!

To add alongside, here is a video of the concept model for the looping suspended coaster.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miERaeQZYZQ[/youtube]

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
I have a fair few more around haha. I've been desperately trying to find the dueling Ultra Twister concept Togo showed at IAAPA in the 90s which could make turns as well. But I cannot find the picture anywhere.

Hey
f022f6fb24.jpg

Paws

Roller Poster
Theres the mysterious Schwarzkopf "flying" coaster. It was basically their take on a suspended coaster. It had a very odd track and support structure. There was one planned for Bush Gardens Williamsburg in 1984 but they were also planned to be transportable. Its believed that most of the roller coaster was built at the Schwarzkopf factory but was later scrapped. The first photo shows a model of the transportable one. The pipe infront is a track piece from the real coaster.

ESflugbahn-modell.jpg

patentflugbahn02.jpg

patentflugbahn03.jpg

OKflugbahn.jpg

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I never knew they had built actual test track!

To add alongside, here is a video of the concept model for the looping suspended coaster.

[youtube]

Not to dig up a year old topic (although that is exactly what I'm doing)
A new article from Kings Island detailing the history of the Bat just popped up and its well worth a read
https://www.visitkingsisland.com/bl...ratic-flight-of-the-bat#.WfbXV3dfQWc.facebook

Interestingly for this topic though it has a great picture of that Arrow suspended corkscrew testing track.
arrow cork.png

vaugc002

Mega Poster
This thread is fab!
I've always been fascinated by the SBF Visa Group Tower Coaster. They built one, but it looks more like a prototype.
I think the concept could have worked (might have have been competition for Gerst's Eurofighters maybe...).

TOWER_COASTER_MX875.jpg