What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Sandman

Giga Poster
Apparently Europa Park have announced their new family coaster for 2019 - a 400 ft Intamin accelerator. Taron may have some competition in the family market.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I can only think of 2 people who didn't love Taron once they'd ridden it, Will, who has already shared his opinion, and Thom, who now loves it after actually riding in the evening.
Anyone else who doesn't have the ride in their top 10 may have fallen victim to the early morning warm up, it's not mind blowing first thing I'll concede. But you don't just ride Taron once.

So yeah, in my experience, it's nearly universally loved, and I don't listen to Youtubers, 99% of them talk bollocks. I'd much rather have a discussion about creds with most of the people on this forum, who are a well traveled and diverse group.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
My top 15 changes WAYYYY too much.

1. Maverick
2. Millennium Force
3. Mystic Timbers
4. TTD (ya I need to change my Sig.)
5. Diamondback (soon to change if it has a worse rattle next time)
6. Apollo's Chariot
7. Griffon
8. Tempesto
9. Raptor CP
10. Banshee
11: Shivering Timbers
12. Gatekeeper
13. Rougarou
14. Valravn
15. Verbolten

Last edited:

CCF

Roller Poster
For the record: it is most likely that I was the person he was referring to not liking Taron. I only got 2 rides on it but for some reason it just didn't do anything for me. I kept waiting for it to have something that rival the stengel dives on Maverick or the airtime hills on Helix but it just never gave me anything. Calling it a Cheetah Hunt level family coaster however was a bit extreme on my end, but I personally think that it wouldn't get all the praise without the theming around it. Fine ride that I definitely need to experience again, but not at the level of my personal top European coasters such as Expedition GeForce, Wildfire, Karnan and Piraten.

Ben

CF Legend
Take out the themeing and it would still be great.

Not as great, sure, but the hardware is still a solid bit of kit.

Calling Piraten better is just, no.

CCF

Roller Poster
Take out the themeing and it would still be great.

Not as great, sure, but the hardware is still a solid bit of kit.

Calling Piraten better is just, no.
I really love the mega lites partially because I'm more in to good old airtime machines rather than rides that excel all around.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I must admit. It's getting quite hard to rank these as I ride more and more amazing coasters. Therefore, my top 15 or so is a bit interchangeable. It's in a general order, but I change my mind on preferences quite a bit. However, I'm really happy with where my top list is, looks much better than even a year ago and especially 2 years ago. I'm hoping to add more European and Asian coasters next year, but, for now, I'm really proud of all I've done, especially since I'm just 18. I also changed around the position of some coasters, notably X2 over Lightning Rod. I just really felt that X2 was such an amazing experience, and it truly is my favorite coaster. It was tough though, and they're still just about tied for 1 (with Skyrush being right there with them). Ridden in 2017 italicized. Ridden this trip bold.
  1. X2
  2. Lightning Rod
  3. Skyrush
  4. Boulder Dash
  5. El Toro
  6. Voyage
  7. Superman SFNE
  8. Outlaw Run
  9. Fury 325
  10. Phoenix
  11. Kumba
  12. Shambhala
  13. Millennium Force
  14. Beast
  15. Goliath @ SFOG
  16. Wicked Cyclone
  17. Storm Chaser
  18. Maverick
  19. Kawasemi
  20. Iron Rattler
  21. Top Thrill Dragster
  22. Kingda Ka
  23. Storm Runner
  24. Nitro
  25. Mako
  26. Rollin' Thunder
  27. Twisted Colossus
  28. Comet, Hersheypark
  29. Mine Blower
  30. Rampage

Smithy

Strata Poster
Taron.

Initially. Meh. Rode it around 3pm, near the front. One great pop of airtime and one brilliant rush of speed on the second launch. And that was it. I don't care for quick transitions, they do nothing for me. The last flick before the brakes ****ed my ribs up too with a real jerk.

Then we had some ERT on it. In the rain. At the end of the day. My God that thing flew like **** off a shovel. We physically could not keep our hands up in the air for parts of it. Fully appreciated the comments about it being out of control. Then went round and got a ride at the back, and whilst it was a bit rattly, the airtime in that hill was brilliant.

In all honesty, the daytime ride would have had it behind Black Mamba in terms of enjoyment, towards the bottom of my top ten. Very much a meh sort of ride. Good, but not my thing. Those ERT rides in the rain have it still behind Balder and Helix, and possibly Shambhala, but above the rest. At night time I can imagine it'd be something else though, it's probably the most photogenic coaster I've ever seen.

Smithy

Strata Poster
1. Balder
2. Helix
3. Taron
4. Shambhala
5. Blue Fire
6. Silver Star
7. Nemesis
8. Black Mamba
9. Dragon Khan
10. The Smiler

Bit of a rejig for a few rides without actually riding some of them in that looking at the list right now, it's ordered in what I'd want to rided if given the chance. Helix jumps above Shambhala, Nemesis jumps above Khan. Think it's basically a case of enjoying Taron and Mamba so much that it's made me want to ride Helix/Nemesis more. Will get around to putting a trip report up at some point.

Snoo

The Legend
I must admit. It's getting quite hard to rank these as I ride more and more amazing coasters. Therefore, my top 15 or so is a bit interchangeable. It's in a general order, but I change my mind on preferences quite a bit. However, I'm really happy with where my top list is, looks much better than even a year ago and especially 2 years ago. I'm hoping to add more European and Asian coasters next year, but, for now, I'm really proud of all I've done, especially since I'm just 18. I also changed around the position of some coasters, notably X2 over Lightning Rod. I just really felt that X2 was such an amazing experience, and it truly is my favorite coaster. It was tough though, and they're still just about tied for 1 (with Skyrush being right there with them). Ridden in 2017 italicized. Ridden this trip bold.
  1. X2
  2. Lightning Rod
  3. Skyrush
  4. Boulder Dash
  5. El Toro
  6. Voyage
  7. Superman SFNE
  8. Outlaw Run
  9. Fury 325
  10. Phoenix
  11. Kumba
  12. Shambhala
  13. Millennium Force
  14. Beast
  15. Goliath @ SFOG
  16. Wicked Cyclone
  17. Storm Chaser
  18. Maverick
  19. Kawasemi
  20. Iron Rattler
  21. Top Thrill Dragster
  22. Kingda Ka
  23. Storm Runner
  24. Nitro
  25. Mako
  26. Rollin' Thunder
  27. Twisted Colossus
  28. Comet, Hersheypark
  29. Mine Blower
  30. Rampage
I don't believe you.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Damn right you are! I thought we shared an experience together that could never be broken! I cry.

Hmmm, that was quite an experience. It's hard to say, but I think ultimately those night rides on Lightning Rod were better than my one ride on X2. Plus, not having LRod as my favorite has been urking me a bit; it just doesn't feel right. It may be because having those ERT rides was so much more exclusive than an afternoon ride on X2, but they also were just so great. I've decided to change it. #quaddown4life

tomahawk

Strata Poster
X2 does that though. It had fallen down just from lack of riding, and bam, right back to the top. It's just an amazing coaster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I've never really assembled a coaster top ten before, but I rode a lot of bucket-list coasters this season (although all in the U.S.), and I think I can try to put together my first list.

But I have a dilemma. I have always thought of myself as someone who loves both steel and wood coasters, but whose heart of hearts really makes me more of a woodie guy. But this summer I had my greatest coaster experience ever, an hour of nighttime ERT on a steel coaster, and I feel forced to make this my new number one. But does that make me a steel guy now? Do I have to go out and buy a new wardrobe? Do I have to re-think my lifestyle choices? Do I need to grow a moustache?? Just starting to grapple with it all ...

1. Fury 325 (Carowinds)
2. El Toro (SFGAdv)
3. Phoenix (Knoebels)
4. Lightning Rod (Dollywood)
5. Skyrush (Hershey)
6. Wicked Cyclone (SFNE)
7. Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion)
8. Twisted Colossus (SFMM)
9. Boulder Dash (Compounce)
10. (tie) Intimidator (Carowinds)/Ghost Rider (Knotts)

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Update after GhosterForce 17' in Germany. New entries in Bold:

1 - Expedition GeForce
2 - Lech Coaster
3 - El Toro
4 - Superman the Ride
5 - Schwur des Kärnan
6 - Helix
7 - Taron
8 - Goliath, Walibi Holland
9 - Wicked Cyclone