What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
There will definitely be some sort family attraction (some rumours even say two) in Rookburgh as well as F.L.Y. so I think there'd be nothing stopping them from making it a thrill coaster (not as thrilling as Taron, but certainly more thrill than family). It'll be like Klugheim which has a thrill attraction and family attraction. The family attraction won't be a coaster but a major flat or simulator (Intamin Ultra Tower maybe?) could fit.
I just don't see F.L.Y. with a 1.30 or 1.40m (I pressume based on other flyers) height restriction and inversions, as a replacement for TotNH the gentle, 1m height restriction, family coaster. If anything Raik is more of a TotNH replacement in that regard.

TotNH and Hollywood Tour are next to leave going by the rumours (to close in January 2018). I'd even bet it on. What will attractions will replace them god knows? But some major modern family dark ride would be my wish, the park really needs one imo.

The land opposite the entrance on the other side of the main road is the land the have been fighting for decades to get (at one point, in the 90s I think, the family even threatened Bruhl that'd move the park elsewhere).
The land is owned by government but due to locals and environmentalists campaigning against it, and local politicians not wanting to lose support and p*ss them off have been blocking it.
The most recently proposed plans (2012) showed a new car park, theatre, hotel and waterpark.
thumb_phantasialand-expansion.jpg

However since then not far from the park (15 minutes drive) a water park which has major concrete expansion plans has been built. So whether the park would still persue a water park is unknown.
A previous proposal (2008) showed 3 new areas/attractions for the theme park including a large wooden coaster.
Hyper coaster though? Never. The height and noise restrictions + it would be very difficult to make it an immersive themed attraction.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
There may be another family flat but can they fit another family cred in there?
The inversion we know about yes, but are there more than that one? There are plenty of what I would call family coasters out there with inversions. 1.2M restrictions are family, do we know the restrictions on this yet?
It's no B&M flyer that's for sure.

Sorry i didn't necessarily mean a family cred more a family secondary attraction similar to the Klughiem set up. 1.2m restriction doesnt necessarily mean family either as Wildfire has a 1.2m restriction. Realistically i can only think of one 'substantial' family coaster that has an inversion and thats Cheetah Hunt which is stretching the 'family coaster' attribute at best! Still cant see this being anything other than a thrill attraction. Remember TOTNH was probably originally installed as a high thrill attraction.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Sorry i didn't necessarily mean a family cred more a family secondary attraction similar to the Klughiem set up. 1.2m restriction doesnt necessarily mean family either as Wildfire has a 1.2m restriction. Realistically i can only think of one 'substantial' family coaster that has an inversion and thats Cheetah Hunt which is stretching the 'family coaster' attribute at best! Still cant see this being anything other than a thrill attraction. Remember TOTNH was probably originally installed as a high thrill attraction.
I guess I see it differently. An average 6 year old is around 1.2M, wheareas 1.4M is usually age 10+ and entering teenage years. So to me, a family cred is something you can ride with under 10s. Thrill is for Teenagers or very brave 10 year olds. There's a bunch of Pinfari loopers and some Vekoma loopers which are 1.2, so is Rage and Mumbo Jumbo. while they are on the upper level of the thrill coasters at their respective parks, I struggle to see them as High Thrill machines.
Wildfire is weird, no idea how it has a 1.2M restriction lol.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I've derailed this enough, my original point was this won't be a high thrill coaster and I believe the TOTNH site will be in a few years time. Speculating on what that exactly will be or where should go elsewhere.

Kinda wish the owners of PL do a Europa and buy up a load of land which a town is built around, they could do so much without restrictions.

I think we have the Phantasialand we have today BECAUSE of restrictions, they HAD to be creative with space and to avoid noise etc - and thats why we get that immersive, intimate enclosed atmosphere.
I think thats why they go all out with theming - they had to think 'what makes us stand out' ....... we can't do XYZ - so we'll make the experiences we do have memorable through custom design and story telling. On the opposite end of the spectrum you get Cedar point - who don't nee to theme! they can install outstanding and limitless hardware to get gate numbers!

Saying that - they could do with a 'bit' more slack.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Very cool concept - will be interesting to see it more at speed!

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Very cool concept - will be interesting to see it more at speed!
Why should it be happening at higher speed? I don't think it will happen on the l ride, but before the launch/lift, at a similar speed as it does now.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I think we have the Phantasialand we have today BECAUSE of restrictions, they HAD to be creative with space and to avoid noise etc - and thats why we get that immersive, intimate enclosed atmosphere.
I think thats why they go all out with theming - they had to think 'what makes us stand out' ....... we can't do XYZ - so we'll make the experiences we do have memorable through custom design and story telling. On the opposite end of the spectrum you get Cedar point - who don't nee to theme! they can install outstanding and limitless hardware to get gate numbers!

Saying that - they could do with a 'bit' more slack.
I would want them to keep PL obviously, but imagine the owners branched out and added a new park with no restrictions, would be very exciting.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
See it all in a positive way: if there weren't restrictions, then Phantasialand probably had build the park in a completely different way. Then there probably wouldn't be that immersive theming and their coasters would be higher.

I'm happy (as I said before) that they haven't much attractions which sticks a lot above the skyline of the park. Mystery Castle, Chiapas, Black Mamba...it aren't the rides itself that sticks high above the skyline, it's the immersive theming. You almost can't see any steel construction and that's what I like about Phantasialand. So the restrictions did something good.

About Rookburgh: There certainly will be a second attraction which will be a family ride. They take the whole Klugheim idea for this area as well. The flying coaster is certainly a ride for thrillseekers and the one or two other new attractions will be family-friendly. That one or two attractions will probably replace RoA, HT and ToTNH.

When they demolish those last two attractions, they certainly will be replaced by family attractions or another indoor coaster. For this area it could be an expansion for Wuze Town.

I regret one thing: that they bought the lake and that they built Wakobato. If I was the owner of Phantasialand. I would sell the lake again. I would only expand the Fantasy area among the lake on the site of Temple of the Nighthawk and Hollywood Tour.

2. About the parking lots: I wouldn't be surprised if Phantasialand buys a piece of land on the other side of the highway, make a tunnel underneath and that they use this land as a new parking lot . Then the Mystery parking lot will be used as a parking lot for the new hotel on the peace of land behind Berlin en next to the green plant wall of Klugheim. The China parking lot could be used for a small expansion of the park.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Phantasialand would still build that waterpark just because of their level of theming. There probably wouldn't be any waterpark which would be better themed.

Last edited:

toofpikk

Mega Poster
the Mystery parking lot will be used as a parking lot for the new hotel on the peace of land behind Berlin en next to the green plant wall of Klugheim.

I was under the impression that the parking isn't actually owned by phantasia, just operated by them; it's actually owned by a local farmer? They're that tightly squeezed for land!

balrog

Mega Poster
Hmmm not convinced by that. We've seen inversions installed i believe?
I've just seen a fly to lie to fly, nothing that actually puts you upside down. Although I do believe it will be rather high thrill in the end, the inversion argument don't stand.

Last edited:

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I was under the impression that the parking isn't actually owned by phantasia, just operated by them; it's actually owned by a local farmer? They're that tightly squeezed for land!

Forgot that. Oops.
But if Phantasialand would have their own parking lot on the other side of that highway, then they don't have to rent the Mystery parking lot of that farmer anymore. They also probably will built that new hotel at the back of the Berlin area with an underground parking lot because of the lack of space.
Maybe is that why Phantasialand doesn't try anymore to buy the parking lot of that farmer.

Last edited:

sebi42

Roller Poster
Both the small parking lot across from the main entrance in Berlin, as well as the lot next to the Mystery entrance a owned by the park. The parking lot near the China entrance is owned by a farmer.

The park actually needs the farmer to provide the parking on busy days as parking space would otherwise not be sufficient whenthe park fills up. They usually fill up the lot across from the main. entrance first, then split the remaining between China and Mystery.

Lofty

CF Legend
I've just seen a fly to lie to fly, nothing that actually puts you upside down. Although I do believe it will rather hogh thrill in the end, the inversion argument don't stand.
Yeah, you're talking out your arse on this one. That is absolutely an inversion. Clearly.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Well I mean... You don't actually invert during a wingover in the flying position, but I'd still count it as an inversion personally as I'd say you can very similar sensations and the track itself inverts.

Last edited:

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Both the small parking lot across from the main entrance in Berlin, as well as the lot next to the Mystery entrance a owned by the park. The parking lot near the China entrance is owned by a farmer.

The park actually needs the farmer to provide the parking on busy days as parking space would otherwise not be sufficient whenthe park fills up. They usually fill up the lot across from the main. entrance first, then split the remaining between China and Mystery.

So, my idea of expanding the parking lot across the main entrance would be efficient. Then they don't need the China parking lot (and that farmer) anymore, as well as the China entrance which then could be demolished.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
How much of that car park would they be able to build on if they were to get the other site? China has needed something major for while and they might be able to squeeze something onto the side of the area if the farmer doesn't scream to them to get off their land. I'd suggest a wooden coaster as one of the big gaps in their coaster lineup but I don't know if that'd cause sound problems for that side of the site.
Of course, with two seemingly thrill-based coasters in a row there are bigger priorities for the park right now in terms of expanding their lineup but I would just love to see what a park like Phantasia would do with a big complex wooden structure.. make it into the great wall of china?